MitchellsFibre (Vumatel)

ShakeelH

Ah ok. They must have a smaller take on than us hence no congestion issues.

BlurryKnight

I'm very confused by these results :/

Which one am I supposed to believe as being the most accurate?

1585244536249.png

1585244566557.png

1585244595804.png

KallieM

Hi guys new here, just wanted to check if you guys are still experiencing problems with your internet speeds. I called mweb and logged a fault as they couldnt find any problem. My speeds have dropped to 2.58mb down and 8.87mb up

ShakeelH

Just read like the last 3 pages... pretty much how it is nowadays with the extra ppl at home doing stuff.

Icemanbrfc

Honorary Master
I have this theory, that i think Vuma is slowing us down ie Mitchell's Fibre and Vuma Reach, in order to increase their own Vumatel clients speeds.

Prim0

I have this theory, that i think Vuma is slowing us down ie Mitchell's Fibre and Vuma Reach, in order to increase their own Vumatel clients speeds.
I would have guessed the same. MF built their infrastructure around the dense population in Mitchell's Plain and they would have covered all avenues with regards to high traffic. No ways this is an infrastructure issue, something else is amiss.

alex augustus

Vuma Reach isn't as badly affected as MF simply due to the numbers that we have active against their numbers.

A traceroute in the evenings again indicate PL on the exact same hop.
Screenshot from 2020-03-26 22-16-59.png

KOPITE

Executive Member
Vuma Reach isn't as badly affected as MF simply due to the numbers that we have active against their numbers.

A traceroute in the evenings again indicate PL on the exact same hop.
View attachment 807349
So what you saying, is this an ISP problem, throttling or shaping their customers or VUMA.

Is this Vumas bad network designer and infrastructure that cannot handle the large amount of traffic or just the ISP trying to suck the life out our lines.

Who is to be blame here

alex augustus

So what you saying, is this an ISP problem, throttling or shaping their customers or VUMA.

Is this Vumas bad network designer and infrastructure that cannot handle the large amount of traffic or just the ISP trying to suck the life out our lines.

Who is to be blame here
So there's are a couple of things that could cause this slow down.

1) ISP network capacity - which I doubt is the case as we would be seeing the main AH pure fibre chat lighting up with complains if this was the case.

2) ISP shaping certain protocols,
a) speedtest.net uses a few tcp streams on protocol http-alt when running a speedtest.
b) speedtest.co.za and myBB speedtest uses multilpe tcp streams on https on port 8443 afaik. >>> so AH could be shaping speedtest.net aka port http-alt as that is the normal benchmark service test majority of people use when testing their bandwidth.

3) Fibre network operator nodes/areas gets saturated or their backhaul capacity reach saturated to the data-centre.
For example, lets say MF has a 1Gbps fibre link carrying all traffic across (I'm not saying this is the case but since everything was done at a cheaper cost - it could very much be the case) from all zones to their data-centre which then hands traffic over to the respective ISP's NNI's - It literally takes 50 users to max their line at the same time to cause link saturation.

At this moment and after my limited tests that I conducted I am now leaning more to the ISP prioritizing certain protocols - after seeing speedtest.co.za/myBB consistently producing better throughput than speedtest.net - this is only my speculation..

On this note, I do know that many CDN's and streaming services will also shape traffic real soon due to the surge in internet traffic which covid19 has caused.

Last edited:

Frankenstein51

Did a torrent test in the line and getting 200kbps ie 2Mbps on speedtest, activated my vpn and full speed came back, pics, with and without vpnScreenshot_20200326-171146_Speedtest.jpgScreenshot_20200326-171247_Speedtest.jpgScreenshot_20200326-171247_Speedtest.jpgScreenshot_20200326-171247_Speedtest.jpg

Frankenstein51

Lol, dunno why it posted multiple of the one speedtest but as you can see by the timestamps, they were taken one minute apart.