MitchellsFibre (Vumatel)

AbuNetworkGuru

Not a clue, they haven't visually checked the break, just that the break is halfway in the line, that half way is somewhere in the roof where no one goes, also "because there's a black casing around the line, they can't use the light to determine the exact break" tells me there's no physical break outside seeing the black casing is not broken but rather internally, meaning natural cause?
Scrap the top part I said, he actually did get in the roof as he asked me for a ladder, just remembering that now, so he did do a visual inspection of the line.
Naa then they mos jas to charge you push back and tell them you didnt tamper with it as this could be a installation issue wtf

AbuNetworkGuru

if they terminate at your boundary then is anything inside your property deemed your responsibility?

i did hear that the contractors charge R50 per metre to install fibre. not sure. i do have a number of the guy who installed here by me if you allowed to replace it. im sure he will do it for less and a dite?

Vumatels boundary stops at the ont anything beyond the ONT is customers issue but since this is the fibre patch cable i think vuma needs to take responsibility

Frankenstein51

Naa then they mos jas to charge you push back and tell them you didnt tamper with it as this could be a installation issue wtf
The line wasn't tampered with at all, like I said, that cable runs in the roof and no one goes in there, this might be the same they did with my primary line, they came and replaced it twice as the line was too tightly ran, it eventually broke inside, 1st time, instead of making a bend, they forced the line L- shaped which broke it just before the ont, second line was just too tight and it snapped, the last guy came and left some play in the line and it never happened again

Frankenstein51

Think I'll just cancel the line, ask them to disconnect, cause they'll likely wanna charge me for something I can't use, gonna hear what my buddy says, he also does fibre installation...

Frankenstein51

Now they're asking R700 to come back, no mention of fixing the line in the message they sent, can't assume that's the fee is to replace the line, waiting on their response, still waiting on my bra to get back to me as well, he can source a 50m fibre cable, unless he can patch the cable, which will require less than 1 meter of line

nad_isa

Now they're asking R700 to come back, no mention of fixing the line in the message they sent, can't assume that's the fee is to replace the line, waiting on their response, still waiting on my bra to get back to me as well, he can source a 50m fibre cable, unless he can patch the cable, which will require less than 1 meter of line

Do you know where the break is? think vuma will just replace the cable, pull the broken one out and feed the new one. think a fibre patch cable will be 200 more or less for 50/60m.

Frankenstein51

Do you know where the break is? think vuma will just replace the cable, pull the broken one out and feed the new one. think a fibre patch cable will be 200 more or less for 50/60m.
They said at 20m there' a break, I think they measured from both sides, which indicates a single break but where I suspect the break is from measuring, there's no physical break in the line, looks completely fine

nad_isa

They said at 20m there' a break, I think they measured from both sides, which indicates a single break but where I suspect the break is from measuring, there's no physical break in the line, looks completely fine

probably easier to just pull and replace, less hassle. the cable should not be that expensive.

Frankenstein51

The one tech that came out now, he admits the line was installed badly, he contacted them now, they're doing a reinstall tomorrow without cost, they've confused the 2 lines, my primary had 2 breaks, the second line is the 1st time there is a problem with.

ShakeelH

That is rather bad. We have two lines on our property as well but there's so much extra cable in the roof that there's plenty slack on it. I asked the guy about that and he said it's better to have the extra slack and that obviously made sense to me I was just worried about the extra costing for all the extra length cable but he didn't still bother noting that down just the measured extra distance.. bonus is that I still didn't get charged even for the extra length.

nad_isa

I simply use a single Port of the ONT which gives DHCP, then NAT it on another Router using the Peer's DNS on completely different Subnet. I Googled all the setup procedures. I'm by no means an IT Guy or Network Engineer but I'm able to access all my stuff remotely, even do all the Port forwarding required for my Media Server and IP Cams. There seems to be very little issues as I'm also able to run decent PCQ's that balances all internal traffic perfectly.

I guess if like I understand there are Vuma Reach issues maybe we should try and get Octotel to come lay Fibre here in Mitchells Plain. Personally I could do with 200Mbps up and down.

Hi can you or anyone else explain how you are doing this in bit more detail. Not a experinced network guy either..not sure what to google as u said. Wanted to try and do a traceroute to check for double NAT.

@AbuNetworkGuru @Prim0 @Ravenhash

KOPITE

Executive Member
Hi can you or anyone else explain how you are doing this in bit more detail. Not a experinced network guy either..not sure what to google as u said. Wanted to try and do a traceroute to check for double NAT.

@AbuNetworkGuru @Prim0 @Ravenhash
If you do a traceroute the first 2 ip addresses will come up as private ip range, then you know it's double nat

CT_Red

A friend of mine has been purchasing vouchers from Mweb since he had fibre installed in February. Yesterday he couldn't purchase a voucher on their website and it stated that the service is now called Vuma Reach not Mitchell's Fibre - semantics I know but still relevant. Anyways they eventually sorted him out today but now he is on a month to month package as voucher option is no longer available. Also he was downgraded to 20/10 even though he was on the double up promotion since it started. Anyone else here experience same? I see Afrihost is also now calling the service Vuma Reach.

CT_Red

@PBCool since today is the last day of the double up promo ... has there been any developments re offering a 40mb package to MF clients? Earlier in the thread, WebAfrica seems to be offering a 40/20 package from tomorrow for R549.
Also has there been any developments for a month to month package for MF instead of the 28 day voucher system. You mentioned previously that Cool Ideas was working on this.