Mkhwebane doesn't understand basics of the legal system, says her own lawyer

schumi

Honorary Master
Public Protector Busisiwe Mkhwebane wants a judgment rescinded because she claims her lawyer was not acting on her instructions when he withdrew opposition in the matter.

But Advocate William Mokhari said Mkhwebane does not know the basics of the legal system and he acted to avoid a personal cost order on her behalf.

Mkhwebane has approached the High Court in Pretoria to have a judgment in June that concluded that the Public Protector's report on witness protection matters involving two KwaZulu-Natal whistleblowers should be declared invalid and be set aside.

She has told the court that when Mokhari withdrew her opposition in the matter, he was not following her orders.

Mkhwebane said in her papers:

At the time of withdrawing my opposition, although a representative of my office was present and my attorneys were also present, I was not consulted by either representative, my attorney as well as counsel on the decision to withdraw my opposition.
Cele launched a judicial review of a report by the Public Protector that found that he, along with the South African Police Service (SAPS), failed to provide protection to whistleblowers on corruption and police killings in KwaZulu-Natal.
More at:

McT

The Humble Scot!
How the heck has she lasted this long! :eek:

Acid0

Expert Member
She is apparently an Advocate which calls into question the High Court process of admitting advocates.
MMmm in that case I apologize and take my doubts back, she is then very qualified and I think her lawyer does not know what he is talking about ....

R13...

Honorary Master
She is apparently an Advocate which calls into question the High Court process of admitting advocates.
You probably just have to pass the board exam. She seems to have never practised as an advocate. Perhaps they should require yearly renewal like some other professionals where you show that you're doing work in the professional field you're registered for.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
You probably just have to pass the board exam. She seems to have never practised as an advocate. Perhaps they should require yearly renewal like some other professionals where you show that you're doing work in the professional field you're registered for.
There is also a pairing with an experienced advocate for a year who will assess the persons fitness in terms of how they handle themselves in chambers and in court.

Apparently this information is kept with the Bar, so it might do for someone to go digging and see what was captured.

3WA

Executive Member
If she did understand the basics of the legal system, she would be incredibly dangerous.

Evil and stupid is much safer than evil and smart.

diesel

Expert Member
Well she wasn't appointed because of her knowledge of the law she was appointed to derail any investigations and clear the Zupta's and their associates of wrongdoing.

grok

Honorary Master
If she did understand the basics of the legal system, she would be incredibly dangerous.

Evil and stupid is much safer than evil and smart.
Not really if you look at the damage Jacob did.

Bossiekop may be the greatest fool, but she hansn't sold the country for a plate of curry..

Better that evil or un-smart peeps are not chosen to lead at all, 'cos like we've seen its all downhill from there.

ForceFate

Honorary Master
Well to be fair, that goes for most politicians in the elite. Law? Who needs law when you have contacts.
She's an advocate. Many politicians are former teachers/health sciences/liberal arts/etc. and not lawyers.

thechamp

Honorary Master
Well to be fair, that goes for most politicians in the elite. Law? Who needs law when you have contacts.
In their defence they are mere politicians not advocates, That's why we require qualifications for the position she holds but none are required for politicians.