Mnangagwa, ‘Zimbabwe’s richest man’ and his ‘illicit’ mining exploitations

Solarion

Honorary Master
Emmerson-Mnangagwa.jpg

Zanu-PF heir-in-waiting Emmerson Mnangagwa was a few years ago described as ‘Zimbabwe’s richest man’ by Wikileaks cables written by a US ambassador in 2001. The cables, however, shied away from estimating his wealth in numbers.

This, according to the the United Nations Security Council reports in 2002 and 2003, was supplemented by his involvement as one of the illegal mineral exploiters in the Congo. The report named Mnangagwa in a long-standing United Nations investigation into the looting of the Congo’s mineral wealth.

Like most of Mugabe’s trusted lieutenants, he also allegedly seized a farm from a white owner called Koos Burger. Burger was forced to claim political asylum in the US due to death threats when he contested the seizure, the New Statesman reported at the time. Zimbabwe media also previously reported that Mnangagwa previously seized the 1 600-hectare Sherwood farm in Kwe Kwe without compensating its white owner.

Link

grok

Honorary Master
Doesn't say anything, or maybe says a lot due to the way he acquired his riches. We've got a rich one too, but BEE made him so.

Either way, doesn't seem that either of them earned it thru sweat..

C4Cat

Honorary Master
Doesn't say anything, or maybe says a lot due to the way he acquired his riches. We've got a rich one too, but BEE made him so.

Either way, doesn't seem that either of them earned it thru sweat..

I don't agree that Ramaposa is rich simply from BEE.

nightjar

Executive Member
I don't agree that Ramaposa is rich simply from BEE.

ditto.
Way back when the ANC took over he was just a trade unionist but when the looting started, he did very well for himself without having to work.

Reactions: Ykv

C4Cat

Honorary Master
ditto.
Way back when the ANC took over he was just a trade unionist but when the looting started, he did very well for himself without having to work.

I don't agree with that either. He's worked extremely hard to get to where he is

zx14

Name a non investment business he has started and grown?

Reactions: Ykv

ForceFate

Honorary Master
Name a non investment business he has started and grown?
But...it's one way of being a businessman, isn't it? He may have acquired most of his riches through political connections but who in the same industry doesn't?

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
But...it's one way of being a businessman, isn't it? He may have acquired most of his riches through political connections but who in the same industry doesn't?
In the industry of deployed Cadre? No one.

Milano

Honorary Master
Exploitation still going on:

Any country or system that is governed by a corrupt criminal cartel will be entirely overrun with corrupt criminal activities. If the population couldn't care less then nothing will ever change.

skeptic_SA

Executive Member
I don't agree with that either. He's worked extremely hard to get to where he is
That's subjective. In ANC world "extremely hard" means he showed up for work more than 70% of the time and stole less than 15% of his gross annual salary. In other blue chip organizations the bar for excellence is set way higher.

Milano

Honorary Master
That's subjective. In ANC world "extremely hard" means he showed up for work more than 70% of the time and stole less than 15% of his gross annual salary. In other blue chip organizations the bar for excellence is set way higher.
70% is way too ambitious but yes.

TelkomUseless

Honorary Master
That is why EFF exist. Juju tasted the easy make rich money... he wants in!

ANC business men are "business" men because of their dealings with tenders etc. Colour me surprised...

Mekon

Expert Member
Any country or system that is governed by a corrupt criminal cartel will be entirely overrun with corrupt criminal activities. If the population couldn't care less then nothing will ever change.
So basically South Africa. The cANCer voter base don't seem to really care that the big chiefs are pillaging like the savages they are. They will keep voting for their beloved chiefs and chant hands off (insert latest ANC minister accused of corruption here) and nothing ever happens.

Milano

Honorary Master
So basically South Africa. The cANCer voter base don't seem to really care that the big chiefs are pillaging like the savages they are. They will keep voting for their beloved chiefs and chant hands off (insert latest ANC minister accused of corruption here) and nothing ever happens.

Exactly. Not sure who these articles are aimed at. The world outside couldn't care and the local populations in these countries couldn't care. The situation in Zim has been this way for 40 years.

C4Cat

Honorary Master
You have evidence of theft by him? Do you actually know anything about him? And why are you only responding to my post 2 years later? Doing lots of research, huh?

Cius

Executive Member
I know a doctor who knows Cyril personally as their kids where in school together and he rates him as an incredibly astute and intelligent guy. He is regarded as one of the best negotiators in Africa. While he used the BEE laws to his advantage in general, as far as I am aware of the "BEE faces" on company boards he was generally one of the most useful. He did get given an incredible amount of shares though for BEE reasons but lets face it the companies in question could have given those shares to less competent guys but chose him for a reason. That is not to say he would have anywhere near as much wealth today if it where not for BEE but then I will not criticise that as he just played the rules to his advantage the same way I do every time I submit a tax return.

His investments into stuff like McDonalds and his cattle business as far as I am aware have all been good investments and had nothing to do with BEE/AA so compared to say a Zuma I think he is a lot more competent and has earned whatever wealth he has in a generally honest fashion. If evidence comes to light to the contrary so be it but for now I don't have a major issue with Cyril's wealth the way I do with say Duduzane's or the Gupta's.