• You are not registered on MyBroadband, which means you miss out on great benefits. To join our community is very easy, and completely free. Register now.
  • New Two-Day Giveaway - Enter Here

Mobile broadband networks in SA: Some more equal than others?

purejimcn

hmmm cell c has been giving me problems this weekend on skype with roundtrip times over 5000ms for a call in the country... but stil the best value for money :)

ET!

I think virgin offer the best rates per say but they don't offer speeds anywhere near the other networks. Cell C with their new high speed connection do offer great value for you buck!!! and they announced that they increasing their speeds soon!!! Good news for Cell C Subscribers

Viva

Expert Member
Based on the fact that they're in either 1st or 2nd place with respect to speed, and they have the best prices by a long shot, my vote goes to Cell C.

K

kingrob

Telkom blew a huge amount of cash to try and make people forget that 8.ta is just Telkom in another disguise, but I dont think it worked.

And 8.ta's unwillingness to disclose any information, is Telkom HQ doing the only thing they know best.

I think Vodacom can blow CellC into little pieces if they match CellC's data offerings, cos they do have the bigger network & more loyalty & love from South Africans. However, Vodafone calls the shots nowadays & I dont know how much leeway Mr Uys has to make sweeping changes.

MTN is nowhere, in fact, I get the idea that they have given up on South Africa.....which is ironic, as they are Africa's biggest cellular operator, but does not enjoy the glory in their HQ country. Actually very funny.

CellC is taking their last gamble. If they dont get lots of customers from their improved network & earn customer loyalty, the American company who bought all their BTSes and BCSs, will sit with a lot of equipment and no signal.

tom110584

i'm loving my cell c whoosh. however, i would like them to lower their data prices even further this year. perhaps even offer us an uncapped service. one can always hope.

uchoose

I don't even get cell c in Brackendowns,JHB so will nave to wait for vodacom to bring their price down.

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
Yep, "only" 600 000 subscribers in 4 months... hmmmmm, let's see - that's more than the number of ADSL subscribers that Telkom have accumulated over about 10 years!
huh? That how many clients 8.ta has got???????

zamicro

Expert Member
8ta is roaming on MTN, so they will always be below MTN.

But I must say, I really like the package of CellC. As long as the other networks keep their prices high, the customer base of CellC will continue to grow. And as the customer base grow, so will the network.

Necksy

8ta cannot manage to show its clear colors while roaming on MTN. Even user experience cannot be guaranteed. Thus the public needs to wait 4 at least a year after launch before seeing what exactly 8ta is made off. I also think that the idea of deploying HSPA+ vs LTE is one of the difficult choices a new entrant like 8ta needs to overcome.

Beri

Expert Member
There is a saying "“You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother’s eye."

to who it may concern.

guy3g

Telkom blew a huge amount of cash to try and make people forget that 8.ta is just Telkom in another disguise, but I dont think it worked.

And 8.ta's unwillingness to disclose any information, is Telkom HQ doing the only thing they know best.

I think Vodacom can blow CellC into little pieces if they match CellC's data offerings, cos they do have the bigger network & more loyalty & love from South Africans. However, Vodafone calls the shots nowadays & I dont know how much leeway Mr Uys has to make sweeping changes.

MTN is nowhere, in fact, I get the idea that they have given up on South Africa.....which is ironic, as they are Africa's biggest cellular operator, but does not enjoy the glory in their HQ country. Actually very funny.

CellC is taking their last gamble. If they dont get lots of customers from their improved network & earn customer loyalty, the American company who bought all their BTSes and BCSs, will sit with a lot of equipment and no signal.

Grand Master, you got your facts wrong here, ATC only bought the towers not the equipment they are a network structure company.