Rocket-Boy

Honorary Master
So what all of them are saying is that they dont want to lose any of the profit they are making.
I understand they are businesses and therefore out to make money, but there must be a middle ground.

HideInLight

Expert Member
One thing that needs to change is the standard pricing, it's become far too easy to run promotions and be able to end them at their own convenience effectively pushing the price up again by a few 100%.

It would also add peace of mind to the customers if the standard rates weren't so insanely high.

Haldex

Expert Member
One thing that needs to change is the standard pricing, it's become far too easy to run promotions and be able to end them at their own convenience effectively pushing the price up again by a few 100%.

It would also add peace of mind to the customers if the standard rates weren't so insanely high.

None of them have reverted to standard rates yet.

Kawak

Expert Member
"Knott-Craig said that any regulatory intervention that is found to be necessary, after a proper investigation, must be proportionate." blah blah blah.

Basically, if someone can offer the same services you're offering, at a cheaper price, and still turn a profit, then you're seriously over pricing things. So stop with this talk of "proportionate" and "sustainable" if you can't at least match the prices of your competition, then you're not sustainable! period.

I've been using Cellc now for over 6 years, have largely been a happy customer but recently (past 3 months at least) their data network has been some of the worst, here in Kempton Park where I run my business and live, there is plenty signal, but no 3G, I can do a speedtest right now on my phone, it won't work, and whenever I try to browse, it gives a proxy error, and this is not a phone settings issue, as when I'm at my clients in Bedfordview, its fine, and then in Woodmead, its the same crappy story.

Honestly, before you go ahead and say all the things about having to build 4000 base stations all over the country to provide 97% population coverage, and how expensive it is to cover the sparsely populated areas, cover the densely populated areas then, properly!!! Great that you thought of the cows grazing in the fields out in the Karoo, what about the humans here in Joburg???

The Trutherizer

Executive Member
It's all lovely rhetoric, but I have two issues with these statements:

A: Their massive profits which indicate handsome margins.

B: The prices their nicely profitable acquisitions elsewhere in Africa charge. For instance Mascom in Botswana (of which MTN owns a very large share)

Mascom Post Paid: (at prevailing exchange rate of R1.16 fo P1.00 (pula)
=================
mascom per minute to mascom: R1.39
mascom per minute to other: R1.68

Mascom sms to mascom: 19.7c
Mascom sms to other: 24.8c

NB:And the business tariffs are much cheaper!

MTN One rate:
=============
Call All networks: R1.75
SMS All networks: 50c
Roaming rates to botswana. R2.50 per minute! (where MTN has operational PRESENCE!)

True on data rates they charge the beJesus out of those poor fools.
Mascom MyMeg 1GB: R696 (now THAT's mahala! rofl)

So they can stuff their rhetoric. They will squeeze people wherever they can get away with it and their shareholders love every minute of it. It would be interesting to see what the rates are for MTN's other acquisitions in Africa like in the Ivory Coast, etc, but I do not have the time now to do such a study.

falcon786

Honorary Master
A: Their massive profits which indicate handsome margins.

B: The prices their nicely profitable acquisitions elsewhere in Africa charge. For instance Mascom in Botswana (of which MTN owns a very large share)

I dont believe Cell C could be accused of either.

The Trutherizer

Executive Member
I dont believe Cell C could be accused of either.

Yeah. Still they are not really stirring the market much either. Don't ask me why not. They are all saying pretty much the same thing about the cost of data...
But I'm saying is that in the case of MTN at least it is obviously possible to provide calls and SMS cheaper (for businesses even cheaper) in a less developed country than here for some reason - And it's obvious that data can be provided cheaper then it is provided for there. So that tells me that there is at least an element of arbitrariness when determining prices.

JimM

Expert Member
MTN say that SA data is cheaper than the UK, a quick check proves this incorrect... They are almost equal on cost but of course in real terms it is far cheaper in the UK as income is exponentially higher!

Using the Big Mac Index, a 2GB data bundle should be around R78 per month for MTN's claims to be factually correct!

Not to forget companies like GiffGaff who offer unlimited data for £12 per month or R95 using the Big Mac calculation!

Last edited: