Mobile data prices in South Africa vs the UK and US

quovadis

Expert Member
So basically MTN and Vodacom pricing a 1GB bundle valid for 30 days at R149 is above the worldwide average. Good to know.

MirageF1

Executive Member
Dodgy stats..just another ISP trying to justify their prices....don't believe any of it looking at the interactive map.

My personal experience over last 17 years in UK ( and lengthy trips to both Russia in 2013, and Israel in 2014 ) bares otherwise.

Swa

Honorary Master
Only half the equation. Doesn't show the real picture of large data bundles as well as uncapped. And being in the lower half is also not really an achievement.

Thor

Honorary Master
Compare the US where it matters, no one there buys 1GB.

Here are their deals

T-Mobile:
Unlimited plan: $70/month
What's included: 50GB 4G LTE, unlimited talk and text, Music Unlimited, tethering (20GB of 4G LTE, unlimited 3G speeds), unlimited video streaming

AT&T:
Unlimited Choice Plan $60/month
What's included: Unlimited data, Unlimited minutes, Unlimited texts

Rocket-Boy

Executive Member
Does any of that take the bigmac index into account? Im pretty sure its a far more grim picture if you take that into context.

marine1

Honorary Master
Am I missing something?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Prepaid-SIM-card-USA-Unlimited/dp/B01DFQZI16

Thats for 10 gigs so divide by 10 - $3.49 per gig prepaid.
=51,95 South African Rands valid for 30 days.
So tell me again how this article is correct?

Or am I missing something?
I dont buy these articles anymore, it doesnt take a rocket scientist to work out we are being raped and have been for years

Sean008

Expert Member
O/T but just as a point of comparison if required, I just returned from 6 weeks in Australia. A 28 day sim only Telstra mobile package was something like $27 for 20 or 30gigs, it was so ridiculous I cant remember now. Plus unlimited sms’s, unlimited local calls, and unlimited calls to 30 countries, SA included.

Swa

Honorary Master
Am I missing something?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Prepaid-SIM-card-USA-Unlimited/dp/B01DFQZI16

Thats for 10 gigs so divide by 10 - $3.49 per gig prepaid.
=51,95 South African Rands valid for 30 days.
So tell me again how this article is correct?

Or am I missing something?
I dont buy these articles anymore, it doesnt take a rocket scientist to work out we are being raped and have been for years
Average price. Article doesn't take into account that most people in the developed world don't buy single gigs but large bundles or even as a plan with voice minutes. These comparisons are useless.

WalkWithMe

There is 2 things missing here, the prices excludes taxes in places like the US which can add 8-20% to the cost
Most of those prices are on contracts, citizen/resident of the country to qualify. Tourism SIM prices are way more expensive and in the US you pay $10 just for the SIM. Don't get me started on these cheap virtual SIM providers. Spent half the time without coverage or on Edge or 3G

klipdrifter

I don't believe this article reflects real word usage of data. Yes if your are only interested in 1 gig of data in South Africa then you might be paying an average world price but the real deal is when you use 4g/LTE data for your home's monthly usage. I am convinced that if you start looking at bigger data packages or even unlimited packages the pricing versus the rest of the world will suck big time...

I have been fortunate enough to travel some parts of the world and when I go there and get a week package from one of there mobile providers it feels to me like I have been raped for years in South Africa...

I don't care what these kind of articles state, I believe SA consumers are being burned by data prices.