Mobile network providers have the right to build a 5G tower in your yard – Communications minister

Hanno Labuschagne

MyBroadband
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mobile network providers have the right to build a 5G tower in your yard – Communications minister

An electronic communications network service licensee has the right to enter upon any land to construct electronic communications networks and facilities.

This was feedback from Communications Minister Stella Ndabeni-Abrahams who was answering a question in Parliament from the ACDP’s Wayne Maxim Thring.

Thring questioned Ndabeni-Abrahams on a new policy that seeks to give permission to allow mobile networks to build cell phone infrastructure, such as 5G towers, on private property.

MeestaR

Expert Member
Does that mean that telco's will build a tower in someone's backyard without the owner's consent?

rph72

Executive Member
Consent is given in the form of a Servitude agreed to by both parties and registered in the Deeds Office.

ConfusedR

They can build a tower in Stella's backyard.
I will not allow anyone onto my property.

And if they do build a tower in my backyard, for some odd reason it will break. If they ask what happened, I will use the same reason my domestic gives me when she breaks something............."I don't know. It just broke."

Last edited:

The_David

Please build one in her yard first. I'm sure she has more than one property as well so all of them, then we will see.

dominic

Legal Expert: Telecoms
...mybroadband doubles down with another WRONG headline which does not reflect either the truth of the matter or what the Minister said but is designed to generate FUD and clicks.

not good enough

UrBaN963

Honorary Master
...mybroadband doubles down with another WRONG headline which does not reflect either the truth of the matter or what the Minister said but is designed to generate FUD and clicks.

not good enough
And Dr. Frank-N-Furter said, "Come to me Jesus, and let your Light of Truth shine upon me, that I may know what in God's name you are on about".

So....what are you on about?

MeestaR

Expert Member

not good enough
Wait, what??
Jamie already made a article here -> https://mybroadband.co.za/news/wire...tworks-build-a-5g-tower-on-your-property.html
And a staff writer this article -> https://mybroadband.co.za/news/5g/3...o-build-a-5g-tower-in-your-yard-minister.html
So, actually nothing new...

Last edited:

grok

Honorary Master
She added that a licensee must, when constructing networks, have due regard to applicable law and the environmental policy of the Republic.

So, in fact NOT absolutely anyware like the headline & auntie Stella would have us believe?

AlmightyBender

Executive Member

not good enough
dominic, not all of us share your expertise on the subject and I'll be honest, I don't understand what you mean. I'm stumped as to what you are referring to. What are we (and MYBB) missing here?

MeestaR

Expert Member
From the article: "The policy goes on to state that licensees who wish to build communications infrastructure on a property must provide the owner with a notice that includes the following information:

* The reasons for engaging in the activity
* The date of commencement of such activity
* The objection process to its plans
* The planned location of the installation
* Environmental, water, health, and safety information
Additionally, owners may not charge companies for building infrastructure on their property, except under certain conditions.

These include cases where more intrusive electronic communications networks or facilities, such as masts, are erected on a property.

“In such cases, any access fee must be reasonable in proportion to the disadvantage suffered and must not enrich the property owner or exploit the electronic communications network service licensee,” the policy states.
"
"Enrich" you say? Well, another opportunity past for making some cash while the tower is in 'my' backyard, then....

dominic

And Dr. Frank-N-Furter said, "Come to me Jesus, and let your Light of Truth shine upon me, that I may know what in God's name you are on about".

So....what are you on about?

well, doctor, its like this....the headline intentionally misrepresents what the DRAFT policy is about.

dominic

Swa

Honorary Master
“South African mobile networks have evolved since the early 90’s from 2G to 3G, then 4G and are now moving to 5G,” she said. :ROFL: