Mobile networks that throttle torrents in South Africa

Jan

Who's the Boss?
Staff member
The mobile networks that throttle torrent downloads in South Africa

Rain is the only mobile network in South Africa that throttles torrents across all its packages, while Vodacom and Cell C don't implement torrent throttling on any of their mobile products.

This is according to feedback MyBroadband recently received from the country's major mobile operators.

Torrents can be a big headache for Internet service providers (ISPs), as the BitTorrent protocol used to download them is designed to consume all of the available bandwidth of your connection.

While this is easier to manage for fixed-line providers with plenty of capacity, it can be a problem for mobile networks that have limited network capacity — in the form of radio frequency spectrum — shared by many customers.

Gudnews

Does Telkom's network take so much strain that it needs to be shaped at midnight?

Last edited:

cavedog

Honorary Master
Does Telkom's network take so much strain that it needs to be shaped at midnight?

Good question.

Telkom moves about 65 Petabytes of data on it's mobile network a month. That would likely increase significantly after their launch of the 1TB deals and work from home ect.

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
Torrents can be a big headache for Internet service providers (ISPs), as the BitTorrent protocol used to download them is designed to consume all of the available bandwidth of your connection.
Of course, as a consumer, I want to know why did the ISP sell me a specific bandwidth and then bitch and moan and throttle me when I utilise it 100%.

That makes no sense, and I assume the practise of throttling is illegal?

MRTOM

My fibre ISP don't even have a place where you can check usage,unshaped unthrottled.I remember the day's i paid R289 for a 2 gig contract lol.I feel for the peope who still have no other option but to use mobile data :(

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Of course, as a consumer, I want to know why did the ISP sell me a specific bandwidth and then bitch and moan and throttle me when I utilise it 100%.

Does the contract really say that 24/7 they must supply you with the full speed? Did you really read it? I never read them.

Well, there is no Act whatwhat of whenever that makes it illegal.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master

If you cost the company enough for them to take note, then they have the right to terminate the agreement or enforce limitations that you signed on the contract.
My fibre ISP don't even have a place where you can check usage,unshaped unthrottled.I remember the day's i paid R289 for a 2 gig contract lol.I feel for the peope who still have no other option but to use mobile data :(
The issue is more that with fiber you have a last mile that is pretty much underutilized, while with mobile you have a tower that only has limited spectrum for all the people connected, and it's difficult to add another tower due to cell breathing/lack of spectrum.

That said, I don't think torrents should be throttled on anything capped, and e.g. Rain should implement a "throttle free" torrent amount, there are enough games, video streaming etc. that use p2p, and why are torrents "bad" but YT streaming isn't? It's used for legal stuff as well, e.g. downloading a Linux distro (like I did this morning for my NUC).

PsyWulf

Honorary Master
why are torrents "bad" but YT streaming isn't?

1 thing is it's very very very connection spammy,so not necessarily the protocol and speed so much as that 1 file is establishing thousands if not 10's of thousands of open connections
Few years ago you'd find on many forums threads that ask why their connection dies after using torrents - turns out they'd exhaust their TCP connections. Some routers even locking up
A bit of a silent consensus was to set your connection limits down to a few hundred at most

gamer16

Honorary Master
Strangely on my 4G package everything rain has specifically throttled (Youtube, Google stuff etc etc) are limited to 1Mbps but Torrents to 2Mbps?

I can still get around their throttling with Opera's VPN though.