Mobile number porting: the winners and the losers

creeper

Executive Member
Of the 1.2Million ported to Vodacom, my luck has it that they can't get my number porting done due to a technical problem

Speedster

Honorary Master
I ported from MTN to VC a couple of years back and it was a pretty painless and quick process.

flamtech

I ported two phones without problems, one from Cell C to MTN and one from VC to MTN

AniV

Expert Member
I ported to 8ta this week. It took several days and a technical problem caused a 4-day delay in putting my request through. It was a nightmare, but it was still worth it to get away from Vodacom and their crap Blackberry Service and airtime thievery.

Allin

Expert Member
Cell C and MTN were asked for comment on MNP, and whether they gained or lost subscribers because of MNP, but these cellular providers did not provide feedback by the time of publication.
Wanna bet they will also claim to be net gainers of MNP :wtf:

krycor

Honorary Master
yah.. he needs to get that removed..

Someone is loosing subs.. they can't all be gainers ;) I ported from VC to MTN a few yrs ago(over 2?).. took loooooooooooooong :(

AfricanTech

Honorary Master
When you connect to a ported number you get an irritating, high pitched "double beep" as the connection is made - wonder why?

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
When you connect to a ported number you get an irritating, high pitched "double beep" as the connection is made - wonder why?

It is to notify you that the number you are calling is no longer with the original network...this is basically to make you aware that on net call rates will not apply if you are a Vodacom client and phoning a original Vodacom number that has since been ported.

MightyMuffinMan

Expert Member
It is to notify you that the number you are calling is no longer with the original network...this is basically to make you aware that on net call rates will not apply if you are a Vodacom client and phoning a original Vodacom number that has since been ported.

Thanks for the pro tip.

I have ported my number from Cell C to Vodacom and than to MTN (spent its life as an MTN contract for 2 years) and now my beloved number is back to being a Cell C contract number (More correctly red bull mobile).

All ports on the same number have been relatively easy and painless. Only problems have been with other networks delaying the change on their systems.

Also it must be noted that people only port their important numbers.

MrMocs

We have ported 2 numbers from CellC and 1 from Vodacom to MTN and never looked back that was back in 2006

|tera|

Master of Messengers
I don't port. I prefer to rather switch my number. I hate the "beep beep" tone that rings when you phone a ported number.

zamicro

Expert Member
Why do these articles about mobile networks always ignore Red Bull Mobile?

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
Why do these articles about mobile networks always ignore Red Bull Mobile?

Because they are not even a VMO, never mind a full blown operator....it is a tariff on Cell C as I understand it. That is why you dont have a Redbull Mobile sim...it is a Cell C sim.

BravoFox

Well, still, there is no one offering value close to Redbull Mobile's offering. Apart from limited phone choices that is.

sam7606

Ported my number from Virgin to CellC and I'm thinking of porting it to 8ta since CellC have switched off their 3G in my area since December and it doesn't look like they'll be switching it back anytime soon.

Madhawk

Honorary Master
I ported 4 Vodacom numbers to Cell C, including mine. Best decision I have ever made. Everyone is still happy.