Mobile TV licensees in South Africa announced

rpm

Admin
Staff member
ICASA Chairman's statement on Mobile TV

Let me begin by expressing my profound gratitude to all of you in attendance at this important media briefing. In particular, I would like to thank the licensees that submitted their applications responding to the Invitation To Apply (ITA) for the Mobile TV Frequency Spectrum.

I am also thankful to members of the Committee for ensuring that the process of licensing the mobile TV frequency spectrum is finalised.

Lastly, I would like to thank the Councillors of ICASA for the support they have shown me since I took over the reigns on 01 July 2010.

As a way of background, on 16 April 2010 ICASA issued an ITA, inviting individual broadcasting service licensees to apply for a spectrum licence, within the designated range, namely, MDTT1 multiplex (Multiplex No.1 for Mobile Digital Terrestrial Television) for the purpose of providing a mobile television broadcasting service. On 07 May 2010, we received 4 applications from: Multichoice, Mobile TV Consortium, Super 5 Media and e.tv. The first 3 (three) applicants were disqualified for failing to comply with the preliminary requirements of the ITA and the Mobile TV Regulations. e.tv applied for 40% capacity on Multiplex 1. e.tv met the preliminary requirements and ICASA proceeded to evaluate its application.

As it is the intention of the Mobile TV regulations and ITA to license the whole of Multiplex 1, on 28 May 2010, ICASA published the second ITA for the remaining 60% capacity. On 28 June 2010, ICASA received 2 applications from Multichoice and Super 5 Media. Both applicants met the preliminary requirements of the ITA.

In terms of the ITA, ICASA is required to conduct an auction for the successful bidders. ICASA contacted the applicants in order to confirm participation at the auction that was due to be held today (10 September 2010). Unfortunately, on 27 August 2010 Super 5 Media withdrew its application and declined to participate at the auction. This left Multichoice as the only successful applicant for the second round. Multichoice applied for the remaining 60% capacity in Multiplex 1.

Both e.tv and Multichoice did not have other competing bidders with respect to multiplexes they applied for. ICASA could therefore, not conduct an auction in both instances. As a result of this the Authority has decided to grant the radio frequency spectrum licences for the purpose of providing mobile television broadcasting service in Multiplex 1 to e.tv (40%) and Multichoice (60%).

As per the Mobile Television Regulations and both the ITAs, the licensees are required to utilise all the available capacity in the multiplex assigned to them within 12 months as prescribed in the Mobile Television Regulations.

Chunkyfeather

My question on all this mobile TV is this. Why?

- Why do we want to watch TV on a 2x2 inch screen. Sigh rather spend this dough on fibre to the home.

shogun

Expert Member
I must say after watching the eNews channel, and seeing this and other things... my respect for e.tv is growing day by day. Now if only e.tv could deliver the same quality that they do on the eNews channel, and up their game a bit.

GreyBush

Executive Member
So is mobile TV basically streaming TV to your phone/mobile device? Would it use MB or is it like listening to the radio.
Might be nice to watch some sport/news if you away from the TV with nothing else to do.

jasweb

So is mobile TV basically streaming TV to your phone/mobile device? Would it use MB or is it like listening to the radio.
Might be nice to watch some sport/news if you away from the TV with nothing else to do.
I believe they will still use DVB-H (Digital Video Broadcasting - Handheld) - except if the Brazillians "have their way" ;)

So it is like Sattelite TV (without a sattelite) - they broadcast to everyone (near a tower) but your SIM card must be enabled and you pay R50? per month for a few? channels.

? = what they decided when they launch.

Will be interesting to see if etv will be free to air... Could be nice to have "free" mobile TV.

Off-course there are VERY few handsets available

Some handsets might be able to use the bluetooth adapter to view mobile TV - but they are scarce.

PS - was part of the DSTV mobile trail about 1 year ago, and yes 2x2 inch is small, but it is REALLY nice for replays at sport and if you can't afford the R600 per month DSTV it is more than enough.

PS2 - depends on how you watch TV - do you stare at your 50" screen or do you surf, check your phone, etc etc and just "listen" to what is happenining on TV. The audio and small screen will be sufficive for many people I believe....

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Mobile tv for me at least only seems to make sense in a country where you have a massive population that commutes on public transport and who can afford to have these technological toys....

I personally have no need for this type of service at all. I watch tv at home or at the pub if I go out for a sporting event.. otherwise nope.

Tomasz-London

No, wait... Let's change our minds and see if Brasil and Japan offer a "Better" system. LOL *cough* corruption *cough*