Mom covered in blood

*Plato*

I was sitting at home last night, painting my nails infront of the television when my mom banged down the back door of our house. I ran to see what all the fuss was about... and there she stood covered in blood.

She went out at 7 o'clock to fetch something from a friend and I didn't even think twice when she said goodbey. Fifteen minutes later I realized that my mom could have been dead.
Some guy smashed her window, while she was waiting at a traffic light and grabbed her handbag. She grabbed his arm when he was halfway into her car and he pulled her into millions of sharp pieces of glass.
There she sat, in the middle of traffic... shaken with a stolled car and a broken window.
The fcuker ran off with her handbag - there was no money in it (trademark of my dear mother) but her ID, her license, credit cards, checkbook... everything lost. He scored a cellphone that was worth something... that's it.
The stuff he stole, is besides the point and I know that people have been killed for things much less worth than a cellphone... I was just glad she was alive.

The worst part of this story is, she was standing amidst probably ten other cars. These idiots drove past her, even when everything was over... no one stopped to help the dear old lady.
As soon as I stopped all her credit cards and checkbook and bla bla bla... I sat down and thought about it... If it was me in one of those cars I would've done something. I wouldv'e ATLEAST stopped and helped her when the thief had left.

The irony of this story is that... my mother is a begger's best friend. Her heart is as big as the world we live on... and she can't say no. If she has something to give... she'll give it. She helped a blind black guy the other day, to start a bussiness and gave him R1000.00. He keeps in contact and lets her know how he is doing.
If this other idiot had just asked... that's all he had to do... he had to ask.

For all you fcukers that saw a lady get mugged last night... and drove past her as if she was a dead animal.... I hope you **** up and die!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad:

Last edited by a moderator:

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
hmmm... That really does suck big time... The biggest problem with helping in this country is you never know how many guys are hiding in the bushes on the side of the road while their mate tries to get something valuable.

Maybe i'm a cold heartless b@st@rd... but I prob would have stayed in my car, more out of self-preservation than anything else... I know its crap, but we live in a world of total fear about things like that now.... and yeah...

I am sorry that it happened to your mom, but the most important thing is that she is alright, and everything that was lost can be replaced, even though it is at a cost. Actually that in itself irritates me, I had my wallet stolen from inside my house a few months ago, and they got NOTHING because I never carry cash with me. But it cost me nearly R1000 to replace all my cards etc etc. so in effect they got nothing, but cost me a sh1tload of money. Of course I now no longer feel even the vaguest bit safe inside my own house anymore...

*Plato*

Maybe i'm a cold heartless b@st@rd... but I prob would have stayed in my car, more out of self-preservation than anything else...
...... because I never carry cash with me. But it cost me nearly R1000 to replace all my cards etc etc. so in effect they got nothing, but cost me a sh1tload of money...

Maybe you are cold and heartless and a b@st@rd... but, I understand your argument. But 10 cars... 10 people (atleast) against one thief and maybe 3 buddies.... C'mon?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

If we (like in moral people of SA) can stand together for fcuking once... **** like this wouldn't happen. In an ideal situation (first this never would've happend), but atleast 3 or 4 people would've stopped. They could mos see the guy ran off...
Could... If.... I don't know why I am making a fuss about it. The damage has been done.

I know I'm being really stupid... it just probably cause it's my ma... you know?! I just can't think sitting in my car, watching someone being robbed and doing absolutely nothing. That makes my stomach swirl and my eye twitch........ This country is fckud up....:sick:

BCO

Honorary Master
Jeez dude, that's hectic.

But I must say, that was the most awesome topic name ever: "Mom covered in blood"

Omac

Expert Member
Sympathy Platos' Mom & Family. I understand your anger. Not sure what I would've done (until placed in the situ). Take comfort in the fact that she is alive and home, and that what goes around come around.

I'd like to say they'll get the shtes, but we know the chances of that hey!

SkypeUser

But 10 cars... 10 people (atleast) against one thief and maybe 3 buddies.... C'mon?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

you didnt calculate the guns into that statement. so its actually 4 armed guys against 10 unarmed people. Kinda changes the situation hey?

derekc

Expert Member
sorry to hear about what happened to your mom.

About helping out: Helping your mom after the incident is what should've happened. The 10 or so cars that didn't even budge is not acceptable.

On the other hand, helping out whilst your mom was mugged, is not something everyone would do and it's a case of self-preservation. A few years ago my mom's driver went to be a good samaritan and tried to help an elderly lady being mugged. The driver was shot and died immediately.

*Plato*

you didnt calculate the guns into that statement. so its actually 4 armed guys against 10 unarmed people. Kinda changes the situation hey?

Stats show, that 'smash and grab' (ja... and what is that anyway... crime is now named and defined!!!!) criminals are not likely to be armed... I'm not saying everyone should have jumped out of their cars and play "I am the hero"... they could've atleast helped her after he fled - the fcuking coward...

Key words here... Helped her AFTER he left... AFTER....

duderoo

Expert Member
My now wife was mugged in the UK, in the first 2 weeks of being there and this guy grabbed her handbag and shoved her to the floor. There was a guy across the street who just watched and did nothing.

Poppy

Look I do sympatize with you, but you have to remember that these days you cannot just jump into situations like that without thinking.

A friend and I recently saw a mugging taking place while driving home. As I came round a corner I saw two guys with a girl, they took something from her and started running then she started screaming for help.

When I realized what was going on I stopped in the middle of the road to see if there was anything I could do, but then this guy driving one of those fancy SUVs started hooting behind me to get out of the way. I pulled off onto the shoulder of the road and he just sped off. He did nothing.

I started to get out of the car, but my friend said not to as you can never be too sure, it might just a ploy to get you to stop so they could rub you. I had no option but to drive off. I couldn't risk getting hurt. Call me a coward if you will, but I'm only one woman, if a big guy can drive off because he is scared, what can I do?

I was so angry and scared after that incident for a long time. What if that had been me? Would no one help me? What the heck was she doing walking around at that time of night alone? :mad: Maybe she didn't have a choice, maybe she was going to or coming back from work you never :( but after thinking about it for a long time I realized that everyone is scared.

If something bad ever happens to me I hope someone would help me, but if they didn't I would understand too. Everyone wants to be able to get home safely at the end of the day.

What if the guy who attacked your mom had a gun? Some one who was innocently trying to help might have ended up dead, just think about that.

Again like I said I do feel for you, but put yourself in other peoples shoes, you might just understand where they are coming from.

geekchick

We helped a lady in Olifantsfontein Road about two months ago- she was behind ud and got smash and grabbed- the strange thing was that it was only women who stopped to help - all the men drove by.

I saw teh same phenomen when an old lady lost control of her car on the R24- we stopped and helped-(3 Girls) and another lady also stopped - the first man that stopped was about 10 min late- unfortunately the lady passed away as we waited 40 minutes for an ambulance -

aqualung

@Plato - sorry this happened to your mom , it's awful I know.

At least, as everyone says, she is all right ( relatively speaking ! )

It is disappointing yet not really surprising that ten people drove past...people by and large behave like a flock of sheep ( with blinkers on ! )

there's more to being a human being than walking on two legs and being able to speak :(

A stunning example of human free will in action :mad:

*Plato*

the strange thing was that it was only women who stopped to help - all the men drove by.

You guys aren't listening. I'm not saying that anyone should've put themselves in danger to help my ma. It would take a brave and selfless soul to do that... and sorry to say - there aren't any of those people around anymore. I WANTED SOMEONE TO HELP HER, AFTER THE GUY LEFT. They could've stayed in their cars and waited to check out the situation and make sure there were no danger. They left her there... not fair...

As for the men who simply drove off... that's inexcusable!!!!! The fcukers can't wait to have bar fights and defend their manhood, but NONE of them are man enough to stop and fight in situations that are ACTUALLY worth it!!!
Just goes to show...

aqualung

@Plato

We understand perfectly well what you are getting at

My comments above still stand

DigitalSoldier

Honorary Master
I do have sympathy for you and how hard it must be to see ur mom like that u are over reacting. Be bloody damn thankful ur mom is still alive and that she got home and werent rushed to hospital in an ambulance.

Remember those other 10 or so people also got families at home and after they saw what happened most of them were probably also scared and just wanted to get home to their own families.

And what would have happened if one of those men got out helped ur mom and the attackers came back the good man gets out a gun in self defence shoot the scum, the good man that tried to help ur mom would have gone to prison and charged for murder.

You guys aren't listening. I'm not saying that anyone should've put themselves in danger to help my ma. It would take a brave and selfless soul to do that... and sorry to say - there aren't any of those people around anymore. I WANTED SOMEONE TO HELP HER, AFTER THE GUY LEFT. They could've stayed in their cars and waited to check out the situation and make sure there were no danger. They left her there... not fair...

As for the men who simply drove off... that's inexcusable!!!!! The fcukers can't wait to have bar fights and defend their manhood, but NONE of them are man enough to stop and fight in situations that are ACTUALLY worth it!!!
Just goes to show...

Leitmotif

Expert Member
We helped a lady in Olifantsfontein Road about two months ago- she was behind ud and got smash and grabbed- the strange thing was that it was only women who stopped to help - all the men drove by.

I guess it's partly the isolation syndrome. There've been a couple of times when my brother and I have helped people in trouble, or at least tried to, when we were together. A friend of mine habitually goes after muggers and the like. We all try and help people out after the fact, assuming there's no-one else to take the job. Oh, and we stop for hitchhikers... never been attacked or hijacked yet :)

Just depends on the type of men. Incidentally, myself, my brother and my friend are all originally Durbanites :D

Lord Anubis

Expert Member
People this world/country is dog eat dog. No-one cares. For pity's sake its not the 1950's anymore. Jissis. Get tough and deal with it. It makes me naar when people think other people should give a damn.

Anyway's on the topic of dams, was at Vaaldam last weekend. Guys around the fire told a story of a white woman lying in the road and when people stop to help then three white guys jump out the bushes and shoot the driver and occupants dead and then rob the corpses or drive off??!!??. Apparently happened near the dam a few times??..Could also be bull@#$#@!

My point is, we are all so afraid. A million things go through your mind when you see something like that?. ..e.g...am I next, ...the person is bleeding/aids!!,...

Psychologists will also tell you that depending on your instincts (fight or flee) the majority of people will rather flee from such a situation. Its not cowardice...in your mind it's just common sense and you can't help it.

Personally I never stop for anyone or anything bleeding, car accidents, robberies, kids that want a peepee. I know I'm a high risk target and it makes sense for me to ride on. I drive an expensive car, look/am wealthy and will probably be shot dead on the spot even if its just for my lighter.

Lastly, I don't expect anyone to stop for me. Soceity/common decency/the good samaritan/christian thing to do blah, blah, blah.. don't "owe" me a cent.

I will hoever give you and Ag Shame!

Nanfeishen

Executive Member
@Plato - sympathies for your mom, glad she is okay though:
As to the drive by types, go suck eggs!
If someone is in need of assistance you stop , this country is becoming a nation of cowards and " i dont want to get involved's" if you see someone in trouble, you stop and help , there are too many people who spend their time listening to cr*p bull urban legends and horror stories on the news, half of which wouldnt happen anyway if people actually had the guts to stand up for themselves and those weaker than themselves.
So you risk your life for another human being, big deal that is what being HUMAN is all about.
If you drive by a scene like that, hang your head in shame , and dont call yourself a man/ or woman of note or worth, and if you mention it to anybody be ashamed that you didnt stop!

IamCanadian

Banned
........ This country is fckud up....:sick:

Blunt but accurate.

I'm afraid that the worst is yet to come for South Africa.:mad:

PS. Sorry about your mum. She did not deserve that. It makes me think about my 80 year old mother and I am greatful that she is living in a very pleasant and safe town called Ladysmith on Vancouver Island in Canada.

vespax

Expert Member
Blunt but accurate.

I'm afraid that the worst is yet to come for South Africa.:mad:

PS. Sorry about your mum. She did not deserve that. It makes me think about my 80 year old mother and I am greatful that she is living in a very pleasant and safe town called Ladysmith on Vancouver Island in Canada.

Yeah we all know Canada is so awesome, blah, blah blah. Give it up dude, we are tired of hearing it.

@Plato - Sorry to hear of the events with your mom. Hope she heals well.

I was mugged (well they didn't get anything from me) last year while walking down Main Road in Observatory. A guy came up behind and asked for money. When I told him I didn't have anything, he asked if I wanted to see my parents again. I tried ignoring him and walked on, but he persisted. So at the crosswalk I darted across the road, however his two buddies were over there waiting for me. The three of them cornered me and harassed me for about 30 minutes. The thing that protected me was the McDonalds right where I managed to move to on the street. Security cameras all around the place. I managed to get inside and they left. I sat in the joint for about 45 minutes just to make sure they were gone.

The thing is though, tons of people were walking in/out of the restaurant and it was visible that I was being accosted since they had me by the arms in the parking lot and along side the building. No one bothered to ask about the situation. They just wanted their burgers I guess. ;)

The point is, people are concerned for themselves more than others. That is why no one helped me out. Now, I could complain and hide away in my house over it, or I can continue with life, which I do. I take mini-bus taxis, the metro and walk around town often. And I explore this nice country as much as I can.

There are tons of great things about living in SA, don't let the crime ruin it all for you/us. Take precautions, but don't close yourself off. We all loose than.