Mondli Gungubele seeks public input on Post Office monopoly on parcels under 1kg

Jan

Who's the Boss?
Staff member
Possible shake-up for Post Office's plan to block all courier deliveries under 1kg

Communications minister Mondli Gungubele intends to review the South African Post Office’s monopoly on certain services, including parcel deliveries under 1kg.

In a notice published in the Government Gazette on Monday, Gungubele announced that he intends to review the exclusivity period granted to the Post Office for reserved services.

Easily avoided should this go through. Takealot for instance could produce a product weight counter to their cart (likely increasing sales) and ship with a catalog if needed.

Possible shake-up for Post Office's plan to block all courier deliveries under 1kg

Communications minister Mondli Gungubele intends to review the South African Post Office’s monopoly on certain services, including parcel deliveries under 1kg.

In a notice published in the Government Gazette on Monday, Gungubele announced that he intends to review the exclusivity period granted to the Post Office for reserved services.
I won't expect for one minute that this is good news...

I have 4 letter words that could make up 0.9g they can have for free, as always the Government's decision to take corrective actions against their inability to look after their own business must come at the expense of the ordinary citizen

“The legislative framework and the licence require the South African Post Office to provide [specific] services universally to every citizen in the country,” Gungubele stated.

“[This is] to ensure that all citizens have equal access to a basic postal service that is reasonably accessible regardless of physical location, at a uniform postage rate and at an affordable price.”

And how's that going for you Mondli?

@Jan - What happened with the court case that got started in regards to parcels under 1kg.

The honorable minister wants public participation...... here is my comment: I will put a fu**ing brick in the parcel to make it weigh more than 1Kg instead of using the Post Office.

My official input
austin-powers.gif

What happened with the court case that got started in regards to parcels under 1kg.

The honorable minister wants public participation...... here is my comment: I will put a fu**ing brick in the parcel to make it weigh more than 1Kg instead of using the Post Office.

Don't care, as I will never use them. I don’t have a problem adding a bottle of Johnny Walker to my order, just to spite them, and will enjoy it even more, as a result.

Don't care, as I will never use them. I don’t have a problem adding a bottle of Johnny Walker to my order, just to spite them, and will enjoy it even more, as a result.

But, but should the honorable clever minister not wait for the court case to conclude before making changes to the law?

Easily avoided should this go through. Takealot for instance could produce a product weight counter to their cart (likely increasing sales) and ship with a catalog if needed.

Private courier companies will just simply ignore this stupid regulation if it ever comes to pass. That's what we do in South Africa now when stupid laws and regulations are made.

Private courier companies will just simply ignore this stupid regulation if it ever comes to pass. That's what we do in South Africa now when stupid laws and regulations are made.

They can't and they won't. None of them is so stupid as to getting operations shut down. Seems the best thing is to keep fighting the pigs in court. If that fails, then find legal ways to bypass the law. Bricks work fine in this case and they are relatively cheap too.

Back