Montego Karoo & Classic

saynothing

We've been feeding our (border collie crossed german shepherd) pups a mix of karoo & classic, but after reading a bit online I'm worried that they contain too many grains. I've also seen posts of people saying the montego quality has deteriorated? The price of Montego is really good, and basically what we can afford. Would love to go the Acana route, but it's way too expensive.

What dog food brands would you guys recommend?

Nerhzelok

Expert Member
Jock. Have used Montego Monty & Me for our Pitbull mix for a few months. We mix in some high quality imported brand foods from time to time but don't stress about it.

Been using Jock junior for my pitbull pup. Good price, great food, and came highly recommended by a breeder that I trust.

saynothing

I also see ratings for Ultra dog, Omega dog & complete? but reviews for all dog food seem mixed. Some people love them. some people are 100% against them. Some people have been using Montego for 12 years with no issues, other people say their dogs have got stomach issues & losing hair... conflicting reviews make it more difficult to chose

Colin62

Executive Member
My Danes were on royal canin but when I got the third (a rescue that the local SPCA were trying to rehome) I switched to Montego Classic, because I couldn’t afford that much of the fancy stuff. The rescue has been kidnapped by my daughter so I’m considering going back to the royal canin to cut down on the flatulence I have to put up with.

saynothing

I prefer the Montego Karoo, but it is pricey for a 20Kg that lasts half a month... my pups seem fine, but I would rather them not have health issues

Colin62

Executive Member
conflicting reviews make it more difficult to chose
I think you trust a review to give something a try. After that it’s down to trial and error to see what works best for your dogs. It’s a mission to keep changing though, and knowing for sure that a change is caused by the food and not the weather is also an issue.

saynothing

I think you trust a review to give something a try. After that it’s down to trial and error to see what works best for your dogs. It’s a mission to keep changing though, and knowing for sure that a change is caused by the food and not the weather is also an issue.
Yeah, agree with that.

muisnes

We had our Jack Russels on Montego Classic & Karoo, but they developed skin allergies & rash. We changed over to Omega Classic and have not had any problems since. Costs about R320 for a 8kg bag from the vet.

carstensdj

Expert Member
Had my 2 on Montego and Jock many years ago and can't say that I noticed anything wrong with the food. About 5yrs ago I moved mine over to Veterinary food such as Hills and Eukaneuba and have had them on that since. There are times though when I think about moving them back onto a slightly cheaper food again to make that money stretch a little further each month, but am very wary of changing their food to a cheaper one. I guess we all just want the best for them at the end of the day. I'd love to see a proper case study or some research on some of our local dog food brands to find out what the best medium is between cost and nutrition... Anyone come across anything like that?

Been using Montego Classic for my 2 somewhat elderly pitties for a few years.
The boy has inherited skin issues and is on medication for it - it's not the food.
We cook for them on the weekend and add meat scraps every night to the kibble because we spoil them.
But no real issues, and our girl is over 100 if translated into human age.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Technopet, have used Montego, Eukanba and some others all made my Bostie itch, Technopet seems to at least remove that, yes her farts are still potent though

Lupus

Honorary Master
Show me a doggo without lethal farts:laugh:
No trust me, you've never smelt the fart of a Boston or any flat nosed dog in comparison to others. We've got four others and they only occasionally fart as well, the Boston is 24/7 cause of gulping in air when she eats, drinks water, breathes I don't know what else.
She also tends to eat lizards, frogs or any other creepy crawlies if we don't feed her in time, took us ages to get her down to 17kg, which is 10kg less then she was a year ago.

Mista_Mobsta

Used to have both my dogs on Montego for years but they both started shedding a lot more and developed rashes on their skin. Vet recommended to switch to Eukanuba Allergy something or another and it didn't work so tried Hill's and finally Vets Choice but nothing helped. Have them on BARF diet for the past 2-odd years and they are doing fantastic! Costs about R150 more per month for both but worth it to avoid health issues and cortisone creams etc.

Sirus_the_virus

Mine has been on jock for a few months and it works great. I do make weekly chicken and rice to mix with it as well.

My neighbour also uses jock without any issues.

Emjay

Executive Member
I feed my dogs Vets Choice. It is a little more pricey, but my dogs are at an ideal weight, poop a lot less, and are very healthy. I pay around R850 for a 20kg bag. That feeds two large dogs between 4 to 5 weeks.

saynothing

Had my 2 on Montego and Jock many years ago and can't say that I noticed anything wrong with the food. About 5yrs ago I moved mine over to Veterinary food such as Hills and Eukaneuba and have had them on that since. There are times though when I think about moving them back onto a slightly cheaper food again to make that money stretch a little further each month, but am very wary of changing their food to a cheaper one. I guess we all just want the best for them at the end of the day. I'd love to see a proper case study or some research on some of our local dog food brands to find out what the best medium is between cost and nutrition... Anyone come across anything like that?
A case study would be great!