Montego Karoo & Classic

carstensdj

Expert Member
How long does it last? can you freeze it?
My doggos used to be on the raw food and it is fantastic! The dogs love it and their coats were REALLY soft and in good shape within about 2 or 3 weeks of me using it.
Unfortunately I had to go back to pellets due to money issues but if I had the choice I'd go back to raw food. Yes, you freeze it and take out to defrost as you need. So what I used to do was take out in the morning and leave in the sink, then at night, it would be defrosted. Then put another in the sink for the morning and so it goes... There's also options like chicken necks, tripe, beef mix etc. They come in plastic tubes. Almost like big bunny licks. So you just snip it open and pour into a bowl for your doggo/s.

EDIT: In terms of how long it lasts - You place an order for what ever you want. So X amount of necks, X amount of Tripe sleeves etc. I used to buy a month at a time and freeze it in a chest freezer in the garage. There's a few places/people who do this so look around for the best prices. I got mine from a lady based in the Southern Suburbs in Cape Town.

SAguy

Expert Member
Our dog is also on raw, she eats 1.5kg of raw a day (yip - she's a growing large breed). It's pricey but we are in a position at the moment where we can afford it.

We buy from: https://getdogfood.online/collections/raw-dog-food
We do a bulk order once a month and store it in the dogs freezer in the garage.

We mix and match the different types, but the cheapest is the Classic. There's a calculator at the bottom of this page: http://www.doggobone.co.za/

We probably spend on average R50 a day on dog food, but if you had an adult average weight jack russel for example - you're probably looking at about R15 to R20 a day.

Edit: No, we don't have children clearly :D

saynothing

Our dog is also on raw, she eats 1.5kg of raw a day (yip - she's a growing large breed). It's pricey but we are in a position at the moment where we can afford it.

We buy from: https://getdogfood.online/collections/raw-dog-food
We do a bulk order once a month and store it in the dogs freezer in the garage.

We mix and match the different types, but the cheapest is the Classic. There's a calculator at the bottom of this page: http://www.doggobone.co.za/

We probably spend on average R50 a day on dog food, but if you had an adult average weight jack russel for example - you're probably looking at about R15 to R20 a day.

Edit: No, we don't have children clearly :D
Pups are important! :)

Eti1

Expert Member
I also see ratings for Ultra dog, Omega dog & complete? but reviews for all dog food seem mixed. Some people love them. some people are 100% against them. Some people have been using Montego for 12 years with no issues, other people say their dogs have got stomach issues & losing hair... conflicting reviews make it more difficult to chose
Been using omega premium for my JRT mix for three years now. Add the odd raw egg or chicken now and then, but he is perfectly happy eating it dry.

Great thing about it is it really eliminated the poop stink. And no stinky farts.

I find omega a good middle ground dry dog food between Montego and Acana. Fresh raw food is probably best though if you can afford it and have the freezer space.

Radorn

Moved our Staffie over to Doggobone also. He seems to have some sort of allergic reaction when he gets too much chicken. Very happy with it. Everybody always comments how soft and shiny his coat is. He also gets duck wings, ostrich kneecaps, chicken feat, rabbit pieces, sardines and any other off cuts we don't want. Bought him a quarter Zebra last year.:ROFL: He is very happy when we buy those half lamb packs because there is normally some kidneys in there for him.

Our Collie X we moved to the Hills JD to help with her arthritis. She is very sad to be off the raw but it's best for her. Besides that everybody is happy and healthy.

SAguy

Expert Member
Moved our Staffie over to Doggobone also. He seems to have some sort of allergic reaction when he gets too much chicken. Very happy with it. Everybody always comments how soft and shiny his coat is. He also gets duck wings, ostrich kneecaps, chicken feat, rabbit pieces, sardines and any other off cuts we don't want. Bought him a quarter Zebra last year.:ROFL: He is very happy when we buy those half lamb packs because there is normally some kidneys in there for him.

Our Collie X we moved to the Hills JD to help with her arthritis. She is very sad to be off the raw but it's best for her. Besides that everybody is happy and healthy.
I'm toying with the idea of getting a sheep head for my dog to keep her busy one afternoon. Cutting it half down between the eyes will expose all the yummy brains and bits...

Radorn

That could be a sight!

We just careful with certain stuff, because I know after lots of fatty stuff vomit normally follows. He had a moerse cattle hoof once. Didn't end well.

awvince

Expert Member
Used to have both my dogs on Montego for years but they both started shedding a lot more and developed rashes on their skin. Vet recommended to switch to Eukanuba Allergy something or another and it didn't work so tried Hill's and finally Vets Choice but nothing helped. Have them on BARF diet for the past 2-odd years and they are doing fantastic! Costs about R150 more per month for both but worth it to avoid health issues and cortisone creams etc.
Please tell me more about BARF.

SAguy

Expert Member
That could be a sight!

We just careful with certain stuff, because I know after lots of fatty stuff vomit normally follows. He had a moerse cattle hoof once. Didn't end well.
Yeah, I'll just tell my neighbours I went away on holiday and left a whole live sheep for my dog in my yard. The skull is all that's left.

Sirus_the_virus

There was a way I would get it to slide everything out at once. Which wasn't so bad. Don't know if you know that trick?

I did notice my dog got thinner with this though. She was on 1.5kg per day. When I switched back to pebbles my dog looked healthier as in I couldn't see her rib bones so easily anymore. She was more alive. Coat was smoother. This was all with jock.

I have staffie x pit bull. Looks more staffie.

saynothing

My dogs are really happy with Montego Karoo, but what concerns me is the number of posts I've seen online with the food being moldy, with weavles & worms

SAguy

Expert Member
I think any food type is prone to issues.
The only thing that can probably nearly guarantee being safe is giving your dog fit for human food.

We were using Hill's until their most recent issues where food had to be removed from shelves.

saynothing

Wish there was a South African comparison chart I find a lot of the charts are for food that is only available in USA, which we don't have... not very helpful. And then "rated" foods are about R1300 for 15kg... that's crazy expensive!

SAguy

Expert Member
Wish there was a South African comparison chart I find a lot of the charts are for food that is only available in USA, which we don't have... not very helpful. And then "rated" foods are about R1300 for 15kg... that's crazy expensive!
Especially since that's just a couple of hundred short of what I pay for raw - but then again - an adolescent ridgeback will eat till you're broke.

There was a way I would get it to slide everything out at once. Which wasn't so bad. Don't know if you know that trick?

I did notice my dog got thinner with this though. She was on 1.5kg per day. When I switched back to pebbles my dog looked healthier as in I couldn't see her rib bones so easily anymore. She was more alive. Coat was smoother. This was all with jock.

I have staffie x pit bull. Looks more staffie.
Underdogs (Pitbull rescue) South Africa now exclusively use Jock. I'm wondering if I should look at it.