Moral debate with myself regarding where my vote must go to in next election.

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
Perhaps I will be slated, maybe not.

I know it is a while off still, but with the recent developments in the country I have found myself every now and then having a bit of a "moral crisis" when I think of the coming elections next year and who to vote for. This will be my 3rd election I will be voting in (previous ones I never bothered).

I have always voted DA in those elections I have taken part in, as I felt they had the most balanced views and also the best governance record. Now however, I am not so sure. The DA have taken knocks in leadership and small things like the water crisis (though I think the debate of who is to blame is still ongoing), the CT mayor thing going on, the Joburg property valuation drama, the suggested fuel levy for the WC and water tariff increases for CT on the cards. All these things, even though I know the money needs to come from somewhere, how can I vote for a party that seems hell bent on loading its supporters and citizens with extreme heavy burdens to bare and in a very short space of time. OK, yes, the property values in JHB were really outdated. I think we can agree on that, but to load the values in one go with 50 - 300% and then make that jump on peoples bill in one single move is crazy. Perhaps a gradual increase over the next 3 or 4 years would have been better. I dont know.

Where my dilemma comes in though is here. Every now and then I have a thought popping into my head saying "Fck it, with the EFF and ANC causing racial tensions, perhaps it is time to fight fire with fire and vote VF+" Now, dont get me wrong, I have never voted for them and have always had a idea in my head that they are racist and conservative (and likely pretty homophobic also, I honestly not sure). So, whenever this thought pops into my head, 2 seconds later I am like "WTF is wrong with you....no way you can give your vote to them", but it keeps happening every now and then when I hear bad news, a new farm murder. EFF making racial hate speech against whites etc etc. Maybe I am just tired of everything. I think we in South Africa get lambasted with just such negative news on a daily basis and uncertainty regarding our place in our beautiful country.

Is this perhaps what happened with Trump? People just becoming so gatvol and sick and tired of the political crap that they thought, fckit .... I am going to give my vote to a radical person who seems to actually want to do something and do it NOW! Yes, the VF+ dont stand a chance in hell of ever coming into power, I know it, everyone knows it I am sure. But perhaps it is just that feeling of .... screw it, I am tired of the ANC, I am tired of the EFF and I am tired of the DA?

Am I the only one that feels this way or have these momentary thoughts about voting in a radical and "unlike you" way in the next election?

Xarog

Honorary Master
I've been thinking of voting COPE tbh. The DA isn't liberal anymore, it's gone FUBAR progressive.

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
I'm still voting DA for now. They are not an ideal party and yes, there have been a lot of screw-ups. But they are still the best opposition for the ANC. And there really is no other party right now that is any better. They are the best of a bad bunch. The longer we drag this out, the longer the ANC has to ruin people's lives.

Geoff.D

Executive Member
OP, you are not alone. I have never experienced so much political debate within our family since the great NAT SAP debate many years ago.

The general behaviour of the DA is leaving a bad taste in my mouth. The ANC and EFF will never see my vote ever. The VF+ has remained the most level headed in Parliament lately. The UDM also, But then voting for the smaller parties does fragment the opposition.

I have absolutely no idea yet of who will get my vote next time around. The only certainty is that I will vote as I also agree that not voting is effectively a vote for the ANC.

Last edited:

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
^ Doesn't understand how voting works. We managed to steal three Metros away from the ANC in the last election. That's proof that voting DOES make a difference.

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
OP, you are not alone. I have never experienced so much political debate within our family since the great NAT SAP debate many years ago.

The general behaviour of the DA is leaving a bad taste in my mouth. The ANC and EFF will never see my vote ever. The VF+ has remained the most level headed in Parliament lately. The UDM also, But then voting for the smaller parties does fragment the opposition.

I have absolutely no idea yet of who will get my vote next time around. The only certainty is that I will vote as I also agree that not voting is effectively a vote for the ANC.
I have never had doubt about who I will be voting for. This is the first time this is happening to me, and these thoughts of "Screw it, go with VF+" is a bit scary to me.

OrbitalDawn

Ulysses Everett McGill
Eh, you can always split your vote. Vote differently, depending on the level involved - local, provincial and national.

The cool thing about having a proportional representation system is that votes aren't wasted.

Also important to remember - no parties or politicians will ever align with your views 100%. Trick is to determine where best there can be a check on those in power, while still broadly advancing what you think is good.

Reality also requires us to consider worse outcomes, so if you think the ANC/EFF coming into power is really bad (as I do), vote for people/parties that are more likely to keep them out and less likely to cut deals with them.

Geoff.D

Executive Member
Just one extra reason not to vote DA, ANC and EFF. They like to tell a bunch of lies.
No none of them lie. They just tell the truth from their point of view ...

Yes that is the problem with coalitions. No one can trust that the coalition with not change sides whenever it suits them.
\