Morality in modern society

Prawnapple

Expert Member
So tired of the crap that Sam Harris spews.
Of course, you would. You're a Christian.

I'm actually quite interested to hear from the theists on the forum, what they think about the moral debate? They seem to be the ones to speak up for absolute morality the fastest.

Anyway, having said that, Sam Harris makes an excellent case for morality based on the premise of "wellbeing" - Definitely something I can agree with.

Ponderer

Expert Member
Of course, you would. You're a Christian.

I'm actually quite interested to hear from the theists on the forum, what they think about the moral debate? They seem to be the ones to speak up for absolute morality the fastest.
No - it has nothing to do with me being a Christian.

He quite simply spews a load of crap.
It is amazing how eagerly/greedily some people slurp it up.
Those "slurpees" being?

C4Cat

Executive Member
Not nonsense - it's quite simply (and undeniably) true.
Unless of course......
The non-belief of something is not the same as a belief in the opposite. You're making **** up.

Prawnapple

Expert Member
No - it has nothing to do with me being a Christian.

He quite simply spews a load of crap.
It is amazing how eagerly/greedily some people slurp it up.
Those "slurpees" being?
Can you provide more than 1 example of some "crap" that he spews?

I'll slurp up anything Sam Harris can "spew", but probably not as fast as Christians slurp up bible verses from the New Testament. Also, Sam Harris is objectively better than Jesus ever was. :laugh:

Ponderer

Expert Member
Can you provide more than 1 example of some "crap" that he spews?

I'll slurp up anything Sam Harris can "spew", but probably not as fast as Christians slurp up bible verses from the New Testament. Also, Sam Harris is objectively better than Jesus ever was. :laugh:
Sam Harris is an idiot.
So to his disciples.

You clearly don't know the meaning of the word "objectively".

Ponderer

Expert Member
So tell me, do you believe I have R100 in my pocket?
Don't know whether or not its true - don't know if it's true or false.

<edit>
If I believe you have R100 in your pocket, I believe its true that you have R100 in your pocket.
If I don't believe you have R100 in your pocket, I believe its not true (false) that you have R100 in your pocket.

Not so difficult.
Unless of course......

Last edited:

C4Cat

Executive Member
If I believe you have R100 in your pocket, I believe its true that you have R100 in your pocket.
If I don't believe you have R100 in your pocket, I believe its not true (false) that you have R100 in your pocket.
So which one is it?
Do you believe I have a R100 in my pocket or do you believe I don't?
Come on Ponderer, make a decision here, no ifs, which one do you believe?

Not so difficult.
Unless of course......

Ponderer

Expert Member
So which one is it?
Do you believe I have a R100 in my pocket or do you believe I don't?
Come on Ponderer, make a decision here, no ifs, which one do you believe?

Not so difficult.
Unless of course......
Do you realize that you have just proved my point?

C4Cat

Executive Member
Do you realize that you have just proved my point?
I realize you can't answer the question. That's what happens when you think there are only two options. I'm not 'proving your point', I'm asking you, in your terminology, to answer my question.

Ponderer

Expert Member
I realize you can't answer the question. That's what happens when you think there are only two options. I'm not 'proving your point', I'm asking you, in your terminology, to answer my question.
You have successfully proven my point.

C4Cat

Executive Member
Let's break it down shall we...

Don't know whether or not its true - don't know if it's true or false.
Exactly! You don't believe it as you have no opinion on it whatsover.
If that R100 that's maybe, or maybe not, in my pocket was a god you'd be an atheist.

<edit>
Correct

Maybe, if you choose to believe something (one way or the other) for absolutely no reason whatsoever.

Or maybe you just don't believe it because you have no evidence either way and don't really give a **** if I do or don't have money in my pocket. You don't believe it's false, it's quite possible I do have R100 in my pocket. You don't believe it's true as it's quite possible I don't have R100 in my pocket. You don't believe either way. It's not one or the other

Not so difficult.
Unless of course......

Techne

Honorary Master
Freakin hilarious that any person would mention Sam "let's use science to figure out morality" Harris in any debate about morals.

Scary_Turtle

Expert Member
Not putting words in your mouth.
The non-belief that GOD exists is nothing other than the belief that GOD does not exist.
Atheism is as much a faith as any other faith.
To argue otherwise is silly.
To teach a child that GOD does not exist is equally "immoral" to teaching a child that GOD exists.
To teach a child that GOD does not exist is equally abusive to teaching a child that GOD exists.
Everything a person knows is what they believe to be true/false (with varying degrees of certainty).
You quite simply cannot leave faith out of it.
Cool story what does any of this have to do with morals, morals are exclusive from Religion.
Religion, faith, belief or God does not = morals.

Exactly what children's rights are you referring to.
For example.
Consider a mother that has the (liberal) right to decide to abort/murder/kill her yet-to-be-born-child.
What about the rights of the yet-to-be-born-child, huh?
So yes - I do get to have a say on the matter of children's rights.

You starting to see the slippery slope that be libertarian morals?
Moral decay?
Yes?
No?
Rights don't = morals so everything you said is irrelevant again...
You have no say what me or anyone else does with there body and I don't give any ****s if you think you do have a say over someones body because you are plain wrong.
So not moral decay, moral decay would be allowing slavery to come back into existence.

Yeah - your arguments are not stupid - it's all those that disagree with you opinions/views/beliefs that be stupid.
Funny thing is you say this to everyone so you either have an attitude problem, you can't see reason or you are trolling. I like to believe you are trolling because that would be the best of all evils.