More national bandwidth required in South Africa

Skerminkel

Expert Member
I see opportunities for Cape Town and Durban. They do not need Hellkom to become some of the best connected cities in the world, by the sound of it.

MickZA

Executive Member
These ISP's need to stop moaning from their sofa and start digging trenches. They are fighting their wars through politics and regulation instead of actually attempting to compete directly. THAT is why it is taking so damn long.
Things are happening as somebody's been digging trenches throughout the PE suburbs for over six months.

Neotel, Vodacom and MTN have partnered and are busy constructing a national fibre network
Can only assume it's these guys as Telkom deny all knowledge.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Things seem to be happening everywhere..

Even in Pinetown (which isn't the most affluent area of Durban) they've been digging trenches and laying down vast swathes of fibre.... granted nobody knows what its for atm, but hey.. its something.

Bern

Expert Member
Can we have a map, capacities and timelines for these national backhaul grids?
+2

Steve Song is working on this... http://manypossibilities.net/afterfibre/

He's hit a snag, which will hopefully be resolved, though: http://mybroadband.co.za/news/columns/41951-a-gentle-plea-to-telkoms-ceo.html
And that

Please can we also not just have links to CT-JB-DB-PE-Bloem seriously think redundancy, why lay your national fibre exactly where everyone else as??? I get cell towers on main routes need to be serviced, but if there are 2 or 3 other fibre paths there suck it up and do a deal for your paths in other areas to reduce cost.

Also please add more POPs on the national links, hook up all the little dorpies on route - surely it can't cost much extra??

Rabbit7766

draw a line between PTA - JHB - DBN - EL - PE - CPT and close the loop - everyone will most likely be following that path with their various National Long Haul projects. my 0.02c

h0ll0w

Expert Member
The thing that frustrates the crap out of me is that we see people digging trenches all over the show, but so far things have only gotten worse. Telkom is utterly unable to provide a 4mbps adsl connection to a home in a massive residential/commercial centre. Words fail me...

Bern

Expert Member
draw a line between PTA - JHB - DBN - EL - PE - CPT and close the loop - everyone will most likely be following that path with their various National Long Haul projects. my 0.02c
Yes, but do they really need to run the cables BETWEEN those points in pretty much the same place? Wouldn't a different route be a key selling point?

Yes, but do they really need to run the cables BETWEEN those points in pretty much the same place? Wouldn't a different route be a key selling point?
You mean like Telkom's routes? Pity they won't leverage their advantage and drop their pricing!

Bern

Expert Member
You mean like Telkom's routes? Pity they won't leverage their advantage and drop their pricing!
I cannot agree more with any statement in MyBB this year so far!!

8ta backhaul discounts:whistling:

EDIT: That actually brings up a good point, can Telkom effectively sink cash in to 8ta to reduce ICASA payments? I.e inflated (rather non-discounted) backhaul and 8ta can claim they are trying to win a userbase?

Last edited: