More South Africans will keep their old iPhones in 2019

Synaesthesia

Executive Member
Yeah I'd like an iPhone X or XS for that nice OLED screen but the price is just outrageous. 30k for a phone? You must be joking.

redspark

Expert Member
Ja, them new iPhones are super costly. Will be keeping my trusty 6s for as long as possible. Hell, it's even cheaper to get a new 6s battery from iStore; which would buy me another 24 months.

*SynergyX*

Expert Member
Ja, them new iPhones are super costly. Will be keeping my trusty 6s for as long as possible. Hell, it's even cheaper to get a new 6s battery from iStore; which would buy me another 24 months.

Thats the other thing - if these phones are looked after they have 4 year + lifespan.
of-course if you want to keep up with the joneses than you would feel it expnsive like all things in life

MirageF1

Executive Member
Have never understood why people want to replace more than adequate laptops, mobs, cars, <insert what you wish> without even a desire or clue on how to get the most out of the current ones...

Might be a Millenial bug. Never afflicted us 60/70s babies...

Happy Days

"...stating that the natural life cycle of smart devices is being extended due to “technology and software advancements in the industry. " Er, no! Because it's too flipping expensive!

I used to upgrade every two years when my contract expired, but have stopped this nearly a year ago with my contract running on a month-to-month basis. At first, it was because I was waiting for the next best thing, and now it's simply because of cost. Also, none of the phones that is currently grabbing my eye is available on contract, which would then require me to fork out hard cash.

Speaking of which, if the networks offered phones like the Xiaomi Mi Mix 3 and Oppo Find X on contract, I would be more than happy to renew my contract.

damian24

And 100% why you really don't want to buy an iphone or any apple product in SA - apple USA comes to around R20500, I guess core pays a premium for the Apple licence (... the extra R11k ?)

Slootvreter

Honorary Master
Jassas.

I would still have had my LG G3 if I didn't fck it up. So I was forced to upgrade. I'll keep using the G6 for as long as I can.

marine1

Honorary Master
If we stopped paying these prices then prices would come down

redspark

Expert Member
Have never understood why people want to replace more than adequate laptops, mobs, cars, without even a desire or clue on how to get the most out of the current ones...

Might be a Millenial bug. Never afflicted us 60/70s babies...
+1

I still have my paid-up 2010 car and paid-up 2011 Macbook. Before my current iphone 6s, I had one of rugged Android phones (bought cash for 3k from ruggedphones.co.za) for 4 years.

garp

Executive Member
It's simple maths - R30k+ for a new phone or a few thousand to replace the battery on my perfectly functional iPhone 7. Plus I happen to like having a button, and prefer using my fingerprint rather than my face. The only tipping point might be when my phone stops supporting new versions of iOS and some critical app updates aren't available to it, but for now there's absolutely no compelling reason to spend that kind of money.

If I were to be conspiratorial I'd say that after the furore over the older phone slowdowns after each iOS upgrade Apple put a stop to whatever they were doing to make the older phones so slow (yeah, yeah, "preserving battery life" right) at around iOS10 and ever since there's been no real reason to upgrade.