More than 40% of South African stores selling illegal cigarettes

Hanno Labuschagne

Journalist
Staff member
More than 40% of South African stores selling illegal cigarettes

Illegal cigarettes are being sold in 41% of all shops in South Africa, a new study from independent market research agency Ipsos has found.

Using a mystery shopper approach, Ipsos researchers carried out fieldwork between 15 and 22 June 2021 and found the sale of illegal cigarettes had surged to unprecedented levels.

"The tide of illegal cigarettes has infiltrated every province as criminals wage a price war that is costing the state billions and destroying the legal market."

ForceFate

Honorary Master
This isn't new or recent. It's been happening long before Covid-19 was in the picture. Non-chain stores have been seeking the stuff for a long time.

Executive Member
"The tide of illegal cigarettes has infiltrated every province as criminals wage a price war that is costing the state billions and destroying the legal market."

Says more about the state of the country than the government would care to admit.

Pineapple Smurf

Pineapple Beer Connoisseur
Yup, and the sin tax just keeps getting higher and higher every year
That's why I enjoy making my own beers as I am also saving

/Tsek ANC government, less sin tax and VAT from this guy here

Temujin

Honorary Master
Its almost as if they didn't listen when told banning tobacco will just expand the illegal market... almost :giggle:
a00093887a742c43a7e43765d4630df3

Lupus

Honorary Master
Let's see a carton costs R200 from them or R450???

DXL

Expert Member
I wonder what those numbers were before the tobacco ban of 2020?
Less than 10% of the market had the illegal cigarettes.

After the Ban everyone and anyone was importing cigarettes due to the profit margin.

Cigarettes were being imported illegally from almost 30 countries during the Ban.

Nkosana Dlamini Zuma and the CCC were warned this would happen.

But they already knew that would happen and the Goal to assist their corrupt friends.

Nereus77

There was one brand of cigs that locals were buying during Lockdown Lvl 5, so I did some googling of the company and found that Zuma's son was a part owner.

I feel like everything sketchy somehow traces back to that family

George Netherby

Expert Member
There was one brand of cigs that locals were buying during Lockdown Lvl 5, so I did some googling of the company and found that Zuma's son was a part owner.

I feel like everything somehow traces back to that family
Which brand?