More than 40% of South African stores selling illegal cigarettes

wingnut771

Honorary Master
There was one brand of cigs that locals were buying during Lockdown Lvl 5, so I did some googling of the company and found that Zuma's son was a part owner.

I feel like everything sketchy somehow traces back to that family

Which brand?
Yes, that's the cheap one I'm smoking, Amalgamated Tobacco, no website sorry. They called D's. Rather have one guy rich than a whole ANC I say.

KikzAzz

This isn't new or recent. It's been happening long before Covid-19 was in the picture. Non-chain stores have been seeking the stuff for a long time.
True, this is however on a new level as the ban from last year create new opportunities for smugglers which are now embedded.

wingnut771

Honorary Master
Also, no mention of Amalgamated tobacco (ATM) in the article unless I missed it. You see, the media is also captured.

Last edited:

George Netherby

Expert Member
Yes, that's the cheap one I'm smoking, Amalgamated Tobacco, no website sorry. They called D's. Rather have one guy rich than a whole ANC I say.

When I see a person wearing a shirt with hundreds of buttons, my brain screams skelem.

deweyzeph

Executive Member
Aaah, the law of demand and supply. Fighting it is like trying to fight the law of gravity. Even a first-year economics student could have told you this would be the eventual outcome of trying to ban things. And then on top of that trying to tax it to death with sin taxes and you have the perfect storm of everyone just sticking their middle finger up to the system and bypassing it completely.

Nereus77

Yeah it was the super cheap cigs from here

Last edited:

Peon

Expert Member
I find this hilarious because if a journalist quizzed NDZ now she would probably respond with a, "i did a good thing, 27 people stopped smoking" response.

Nanfeishen

Executive Member
Moloto called for an immediate commission of inquiry into the tobacco market in South Africa.

Yes, more commissions , more inquiries, more meetings more wasted money, just another excuse for more fat idiots to sit around a table talking k@k for hours on end and gouging on KFC take outs at the tax payers expence, while actually trying to figure out how to get their hands on all that loot.

Rocket-Boy

Executive Member
Its almost as if they didn't listen when told banning tobacco will just expand the illegal market... almost :giggle:
a00093887a742c43a7e43765d4630df3
Doekhead has mates in the illegal cigarette trade, she knew what would happen and encouraged it.

Peon

Expert Member
Doekhead has mates in the illegal cigarette trade, she knew what would happen and encouraged it.
Indeed, and I suspect this illicit money will be greasing palms come next years conference meeting deciding the next anc president.

rvZA

Executive Member
Lower taxes on cigarettes, make it cheaper and there will be no blackmarket. Everyone will be able to afford decent cigarettes.

Alternatively, do what the ANC and South African government does. Raise sin taxes. Get involved with the blackmarket operations, get them to support and finance your campaigns, get your family members involved and allow this market to flourish.

By the way, you will never hear the ANC or government complain about the blackmarket cigarette trade as this is a massive income generator for them and their families.

netstrider

Expert Member
Among the myriad of things supplied by my Pakistani connection I found a packet simply called D's.

I called them my Dlamini's

Senor

I fully support the illegal cigarette trade... Takes money away from corrupt ANC thieves and puts it back into the pockets of normal struggling folk

Aghori

Honorary Master
I would much rather pay R9.50 for a box instead of R45. Thanks to the ban, I made this discovery.

Carton of CK Gold (Quite a nice cigarette, almost as good as Stuyvesant) is R120 a carton in Pinetown. A carton of Stuyvesant is R 420... quite a no-brainer when choosing.

neoprema

Executive Member
And 99% of those 40% are being supplied the illegal cigs by Govt officials....

wizardofid

Executive Member
I'm getting a carton for R95 from my local Pakistani, and they smoke better than Styvesant ever did.
pppffft R95 ?

R80 bucks for the same stuff guys in jhb pay up to R200.00 for. lol Close to the border so get a lot of goodies from Lesotho..... like 7km from the border.

I haven't paid tax on smokes in likely 15+ years......

Last edited: