More than 40% of South African stores selling illegal cigarettes

Currantly

Expert Member
Why do people buy the bootleg stuff? Only 'coz it's cheaper? Do they realize they could be putting any filler/additives in those things?

I'm no fan of big guv'ment, but in this case...

Nereus77

The cigarette ban was the stupidest idea ever.
And I'm not even a smoker.
It was a fun experiment that showed South Africans will do what they do no matter what, govt be damned. Even old tannies bought illegal cigarettes by the carton.

Just don't ban hot pies though. Engrave that onto the Union Buildings.

elf_lord_ZC5

Executive Member
More than 40% of South African stores selling illegal cigarettes

Illegal cigarettes are being sold in 41% of all shops in South Africa, a new study from independent market research agency Ipsos has found.

Using a mystery shopper approach, Ipsos researchers carried out fieldwork between 15 and 22 June 2021 and found the sale of illegal cigarettes had surged to unprecedented levels.

"The tide of illegal cigarettes has infiltrated every province as criminals wage a price war that is costing the state billions and destroying the legal market."

Now they doing the same for Booze, they never learn do they ...

Wall

Sports Addict
Independent research my left nut. Probably funded by the tobacco industry.

FNfal

Executive Member
What happened to the tobacco industry is busy happening to the liquor industry .
There is decent vodka and gin available at a decent price now .
Prohibition does not work and this will be seen in the tax revenue , it is to easy to make a decent gin or vodka .

elf_lord_ZC5

Executive Member
What happened to the tobacco industry is busy happening to the liquor industry .
There is decent vodka and gin available at a decent price now .
Prohibition does not work and this will be seen in the tax revenue , it is to easy to make a decent gin or vodka .

Prohibition, does not work, ask the Americans, about AL Capone, and da boys

noxibox

Honorary Master
That ban in 2020, short as it was, had shops that don't even normally sell tobacco products selling illegal cigarettes under the counter and smokers who would never before have dreamed of buying illegal drugs buying them.

The first lesson should be don't push the trade in anything into the hands of the black market, because once there it becomes hard to shift back. Those making money from the black market tend to respond badly to taking their business away.

The other thing that happens is encouraging the selling of the most profitable variety of any particular drug or drug type. That easily ends up being whatever is most potent. This is not likely to be relevant to tobacco, but certainly would be for alcohol.

It is called a free market economy.
Tell that to the twits who continue to support drug prohibition.

Now they doing the same for Booze, they never learn do they ...
Considering muppets across the globe have been fighting a completely futile war on drugs for many decades I'd say they have yet to learn.

Prohibition, does not work, ask the Americans, about AL Capone, and da boys
Well it took them something close to 100 years to figure that out in respect to cannabis and they're still clinging to prohibiting a variety of other recreational drugs, so I'd say quite clearly they never really learned their lesson.

Why do people buy the bootleg stuff? Only 'coz it's cheaper? Do they realize they could be putting any filler/additives in those things?

I'm no fan of big guv'ment, but in this case...
Do they even list ingredients on legal cigarettes?

AstroTurf

Lucky Shot
been smoking cheap cigarettes for years.

Currently pay R80 a carton. why would I pay R450+ for the same result?

surface

Honorary Master
@Government - How do you feel that burn now. I can illegally damage my lungs. Sucks to be you.