More than 40% of South Africans go to bed hungry every night

Currantly

Expert Member
Durban - A recent survey has shed light on the alarming numbers of households that go to bed on an empty stomach every night.

The 2021 edition of the State of Food Security and Nutrition in the World, Africa experienced the biggest jump, with the estimated prevalence of undernourishment currently residing at 21% of the population – more than double that of any other region.

Closer to home, the National Income Dynamics Study – Coronavirus Rapid Mobile Survey (NIDS-CRAM) revealed that during April/May 2021, approximately 2.3 million households reported child hunger, while an Ipsos study found that more than 40% of South Africans of all age groups were affected by hunger.

Linky

Ghost64

Expert Member
That’s more than 20 million people... that’s seems like way more than it should be.

Incipium

People still think hunger gets worse the longer you go without food. This is false. Hunger comes in waves and is mostly attributed to the hormone Ghrelin. If your body sees you're not getting food, it will start using your Glycogen stores and when that is depleted the body switches over to body fat. If you don't have body fat, then yes that is when people starve to death. The human body can actually go long without food but not without water.

Cius

Executive Member
Sadly it is nothing compared to what happens when hyper inflation hits. Ask those who where in Zim 2001 to 2003.

BBSA

Honorary Master
Going to bed on an empty stomach is a good thing. There are a few detrimental health effects if you eat too close to bed time.
Agee, but you need to eat highly nutritious food during the day. Unfortunately is does not apply with most poor people who eat mostly refined carbs.

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
I wonder how many can the wasted and thrown away food feed, it's just sad because there's nothing much you can do with perishable food stuff.

Absolutely no question on this front... many less people would go hungry if we could manage the whole chain better. I think this actually applies in all countries really, the level of food waste is just staggering when you dig into it.

Portion sizing in terms of what you can buy at supermarkets is one area that definitely needs to be looked at in my opinion.

Incipium

Absolutely no question on this front... many less people would go hungry if we could manage the whole chain better. I think this actually applies in all countries really, the level of food waste is just staggering when you dig into it.
Worldwide 50% of all fruits and vegetables go to waste.

1/3 of all food produced in the world each year is lost or wasted.

• Wow
Reactions: ES1

grok

Honorary Master
Who here remember yonder year's reports of ANC officials in suits telling subsistence farmers not to plant crops cos the ANC will provide for them? Or the ANC ****ing up land claims? Or railways? Or Zuma stealing everything? Or breaking electricity supply? Or stealing covid aid? Or whatever else kind of ****nuttery the ANC unleashed on the population?

Chickens starting to come home..