More than 40% of South Africans go to bed hungry every night

TheChamp

Honorary Master
Did they count only South Africans or illegal immigrants too I wonder?
Such stats usually don't discriminate, but illegal foreigners used to have issues with being interviewed, especially when you have a pen and paper and it looks official, I would think much has since then.

grok

Honorary Master
Maybe hunger will teach them to vote better next month?

TheChamp

Honorary Master
More important - where are the majority of these people?
In the countryside?
In cities?

In many cities like New York and London, you can go along to food banks and are given a selection of fresh or just-expiring food. Apart from some branches of Pick n Pay Family store, there are not many visible organisations

I have donated to the School Feeding Scheme and started to donate to Foodbank.org.za until I found that much was siphoned off for administration. Foodforward works better and has offices in Thornton

See: https://www.givengain.com/c/foodforwardsa/about
I think that is actually the problem, charities in urban areas are in a much better position, even the beggars and homeless are not too much interested in food, if you really want to see poverty go to rural areas, there's nowhere to go for your plate of food, no soup kitchens no nothing, you are on your own, if some organisation is kind enough to drive into your village it's a once off thing.

Those are the people who really need all the help they can get and they don't have much in terms of options. It's actually sad that we have so many charities in the country yet so many people are going hungry, there's certainly something broken somewhere.

Herr der Verboten

Honorary Master
Maybe hunger will teach them to vote better next month?
Anc? 'cause it's the african thing to do? If there's no capacity you're simple the shadows on the cave trying to think otherwise.

Especially those who imagine they are better off by voting 'white' telling their noses they get what they deserve by voting 'black'.

Daars nie pille vir idiote of domgeit.

ForceFate

Honorary Master
Who here remember yonder year's reports of ANC officials in suits telling subsistence farmers not to plant crops cos the ANC will provide for them? Or the ANC ****ing up land claims? Or railways? Or Zuma stealing everything? Or breaking electricity supply? Or stealing covid aid? Or whatever else kind of ****nuttery the ANC unleashed on the population?

Chickens starting to come home..
I'm curious. Tell us more. Genuinely curious.

B-1

Expert Member
We have nearly 3 decades of education blunders and incompetence. This is just the start of the hunger.

Aghori

Honorary Master
As kids, my brothers and I used to go to bed hungry for an average of 2 days per week. Food was scarce and meat was a luxury. My dad worked hard and saved money for our school fees. He always used to tell us, "Education comes before comfort, you will thank me someday."

Turns out the old man was correct... if only he was alive today - I feel like I owe him so much and have no way to repay him. Youngsters nowadays have it too easy. I see kids throwing away leftovers and not finishing their supper etc.

krycor

Honorary Master
Absolutely no question on this front... many less people would go hungry if we could manage the whole chain better. I think this actually applies in all countries really, the level of food waste is just staggering when you dig into it.

Portion sizing in terms of what you can buy at supermarkets is one area that definitely needs to be looked at in my opinion.

I think I mentioned this but one thing I really liked about visiting India was portion sizes were smaller and prices were low on purpose.. hell even toilet paper.

And no this wasn’t by chance.. it was done to keep things affordable albeit in smaller portions such that surviving, without hoarding is very do-able and kinda why their gini coefficient is better than ours.. and they have very poor places.

SA went the American route and I feel like this was another conscious choice made post 91/4 as little trust in corp SA not to abuse as they do in Africa (small portions AND big profit). So we have standard(not as big as American) portions and decent to obscene profit margins at times(ie not punishing the consumer alone and initially passing on staff).

I don’t think it’s easily brought in though without some shrinkflation which leaves consumers worse off hence no one in politics dare suggest it.. but I reckon it’s something we need to consider as food wastage, overweight consumers and starvation is a thing.

krycor

Honorary Master
As kids, my brothers and I used to go to bed hungry for an average of 2 days per week. Food was scarce and meat was a luxury. My dad worked hard and saved money for our school fees. He always used to tell us, "Education comes before comfort, you will thank me someday."

Turns out the old man was correct... if only he was alive today - I feel like I owe him so much and have no way to repay him. Youngsters nowadays have it too easy. I see kids throwing away leftovers and not finishing their supper etc.

I don’t allow step son to waste either.. Also force the education thing. Im always made out to be the **** one as I am strict with things like that 1st before fun can be had while the dad is fun.. but unreliable. Such is life.

The_Ogre

Honorary Master

Did you grow up in SA or was this in India? Serious question.