Howdy

Expert Member
View attachment 1167214

Breed, it will get better
Can we now drag CovID into this mix?

cov.jpg

ForceFate

Honorary Master
LOL. Not true though - it takes an very unusual type/quantity of chili/spice combo for me to have the "runs" :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: Or typically happens if the restaurant is using expired paneer/stuff.
Hot Nando's sauce is enough to upset my stomach.

ForceFate

Honorary Master
Start a vegetable garden? Potatoes, Herbs and onions are easy to grow. Cause there will come a time where it's the only things we have to eat.

Plant vertically tomatoes at the top, everything else below, feed the soil scraps.

All in all, grow the food, like your ancestors did (or didn't)
Almost impossible in most kasis because space is limited, if available. It's even worse in informal settlements where most of the cases are likely to originate.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
Some don't even have kids but were forced by economic downturn.
MyBroadband is funny like that, one minute the Broederbond is complaining that they are all going hungry from the opressioon meted out by the ANC's reverse apartheid policies, with tears in their eyes they'll tell you about white squatter camps that are appearing al over SA, the next minute the same people are jumping up and down with joy, pointing and laughing at all the ANC voters going hungry.

I will never understand these people.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Start a vegetable garden? Potatoes, Herbs and onions are easy to grow. Cause there will come a time where it's the only things we have to eat.

Plant vertically tomatoes at the top, everything else below, feed the soil scraps.

All in all, grow the food, like your ancestors did (or didn't)
None of what you mentioned are indigenous to Africa. Also you need some small parcel of land to plant things and getting them growing, you would also need water and people who don't steal what you're growing.
But yeah this should have been a government operation get the townships to set apart some land and grow things.

surface

Honorary Master
What's paneer (can't be arsed to open another tab and type "paneer")?
:ROFL: :ROFL: Essentially it is same as unsalted cottage cheese but in form of chunky cubes because the way it is pressed by keeping some weight over it thereby removing most of water. Paneer tikka masala, paneer makhni dishes are made using it. Decent protein for spinach killers like me.

Last edited:

surface

Honorary Master
MyBroadband is funny like that, one minute the Broederbond is complaining that they are all going hungry from the opressioon meted out by the ANC's reverse apartheid policies, with tears in their eyes they'll tell you about white squatter camps that are appearing al over SA, the next minute the same people are jumping up and down with joy, pointing and laughing at all the ANC voters going hungry.

I will never understand these people.
That is very insensitive. Everyone of those mentioned by you starts in krugersdorp squatter camps because their parents donate entire wealth to SPCA. Each generation starts with walking 4 km in chest high mud in the morning and 4km in shoulder high snow in the evening. Have some respect for western work ethics, will you? They don't enjoy like us where tenders are gifted on every birth of the child.

rietrot

Honorary Master
That is very insensitive. Everyone of those mentioned by you starts in krugersdorp squatter camps because their parents donate entire wealth to SPCA. Each generation starts with walking 4 km in chest high mud in the morning and 4km in shoulder high snow in the evening. Have some respect for western work ethics, will you? They don't enjoy like us where tenders are gifted on every birth of the child.
Barefoot. It is important to remember that detail. I never owned any shoes growing up.

It has now even become part of our culture, to walk barefoot on special occasions in order to commemorate the good old days and the struggle.

MagNorthDigital

None of what you mentioned are indigenous to Africa. Also you need some small parcel of land to plant things and getting them growing, you would also need water and people who don't steal what you're growing.
But yeah this should have been a government operation get the townships to set apart some land and grow things.
Does it really matter what is indigenous to africa when it grows, and it grows really well in african soil.

Maize - Mexican
Millet - Indian

Also, africa has both Southern and Northern hemisphere climates. So you could grow basically anything on this continent.

A small parcel of land? You could feed a small family off 0.1 hectare. You're telling me someone can't find 10sqm of land, in South Africa?

Water? To grow veggies, you don't need drinking water. Plants don't care if it's 1 part piss and 5 parts rainwater. Actually it might make them grow better, due to the high nitric content.

And now to your last point. Well for that there is only one cure... Magic... African Magic that is.

No african government, actually no government is going to fund this, nevermind long term. Why? No tax, no income and nothing to sell on to a third party. So it's up to the guys on the ground to get it up and Ubuntu.

I grew tomatoes, sweet potatoes, rosemary, thyme, rocket and mint in a space no bigger than 3x3. And it was delightful to walk out to a pot, and pick some fresh herbs for a meal, or make chips from home grown potatoes. Would it feed a family of 6 throughout the year, of course not.

But it's better than spending money on overpriced near rotten goods at your local checkers. And all the scraps go straight back into the soil.

I don't think it's a case of incapable as much as it is unwilling.

Brenden_E

Executive Member
This is a silly measurement. I eat a full meal most nights but I still go to bed hungry.