More will die due to poverty than the coronavirus - Economist on lockdown system

koeks525

Expert Member
Joined
Jul 14, 2012
Messages
4,977
I hope we get to see level 3. At this point, I really just want a good glass of red wine.

On a serious note, I am pretty much over individuals and organizations that criticize the governments current efforts... There honestly isn't a way to make them happy... When we get to level 3, the same institutes will complain again.... Level 2, same story, more complaints and how they would do things. Can we take all of them and put them in the recycle bin because their ways are tired, done and through. Same, repetitive formula.
 
Last edited:

konfab

Honorary Master
Joined
Jun 23, 2008
Messages
30,186
Nonsense, these "economists" are just a bunch of racists working for white monopoly capital.

We all know that our kind and benevolent government under the most qualified president in world history, his Excellence Cyril Ramaphosa, will have enlisted all the experts in various sectors of the economy and society to do a detailed cost vs benefit analysis of all the various lockdown measures that the international community has suggested, and then rank order the measures according to their cost/benefit ratio, and then proceed to implement them in that order based on the current spread of the virus in certain areas. And being the trustworthy government they are they will have certainly made all these calculations and decision making processes available for the public to look at and scrutinise.

What is more we all know with confidence that the government would have taken total impact which obviously includes the decrease in life-years due to poverty into account which is why them closing down 95% of the economy was the rational choice. Really people must stop being so stupid and trust the government with every ounce of their being, since the government can never make mistakes, and what is more, it is democratic, so they are doing this with the will of the people.
 

MissMapp

Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2020
Messages
16
Beyond a shadow of a doubt, many more people will die because of this terrible lockdown strategy that the virus could ever have killed. And millions more will be condemned to grinding poverty. It has been the worst idea in history and the people who support it are clearly expecting to keep on drawing their monthly salaries and think they won’t be affected by this disaster. When you’re living on the breadline, money IS life.
The virus is totally survivable for most. Starving to death, not so survivable.
 

Lupus

Honorary Master
Joined
Apr 25, 2006
Messages
38,334
Beyond a shadow of a doubt, many more people will die because of this terrible lockdown strategy that the virus could ever have killed. And millions more will be condemned to grinding poverty. It has been the worst idea in history and the people who support it are clearly expecting to keep on drawing their monthly salaries and think they won’t be affected by this disaster. When you’re living on the breadline, money IS life.
The virus is totally survivable for most. Starving to death, not so survivable.
Please it takes 3 weeks to starve to death. This Covid can kill you in like 2 days, if you get it
 

MissMapp

Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2020
Messages
16
Please it takes 3 weeks to starve to death. This Covid can kill you in like 2 days, if you get it
Well people certainly have the luxury of time to starve to death in now, having lost their livelihoods and unlikely to get them back. The fact that it takes a few weeks is completely immaterial.You’ve got at least a 98% chance of getting over the virus with no ill effects unless you have serious co-morbidities. So there’s a 2% chance it’ll kill you, if that. I would take that risk over the one hundred percent chance of job loss and destitution that faces many now.
 
Last edited:

daveza

Honorary Master
Joined
Apr 5, 2004
Messages
45,129
I hope we get to see level 3. At this point, I really just want a good glass of red wine.

On a serious note, I am pretty much over individuals and organizations that criticize the governments current efforts... There honestly isn't a way to make them happy... When we get to level 3, the same institutes will complain again.... Level 2, same story, more complaints and how they would do things. Can we take all of them and put them in the recycle bin because their ways are tired, done and through. Same, repetitive formula.


If you're happy to live under draconian irrational rules feel free.




Just by the way, how many of these boxes can you tick ?

Martial law -

Typically, the imposition of martial law accompanies curfews; the suspension of civil law, civil rights, and habeas corpus; and the application or extension of military law or military justice to civilians.
 

konfab

Honorary Master
Joined
Jun 23, 2008
Messages
30,186
I hope we get to see level 3. At this point, I really just want a good glass of red wine.

On a serious note, I am pretty much over individuals and organizations that criticize the governments current efforts... There honestly isn't a way to make them happy... When we get to level 3, the same institutes will complain again.... Level 2, same story, more complaints and how they would do things. Can we take all of them and put them in the recycle bin because their ways are 2000 and late now... its boring.
AMANDLA COMRADE!

No one should ever criticise the government and their actions since the government is the pure embodiment of the people.
 

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
Joined
Apr 8, 2006
Messages
99,494
I hope we get to see level 3. At this point, I really just want a good glass of red wine.

On a serious note, I am pretty much over individuals and organizations that criticize the governments current efforts... There honestly isn't a way to make them happy... When we get to level 3, the same institutes will complain again.... Level 2, same story, more complaints and how they would do things. Can we take all of them and put them in the recycle bin because their ways are tired, done and through. Same, repetitive formula.

So we should just bend over and take it when government are being a bunch of dick swinging retards?

Maybe thats OK for you, not for me... When theyre being retards I will call them on it, even if it achieves nothing.
 

Herr der Verboten

Honorary Master
Joined
Feb 14, 2012
Messages
12,316

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
Joined
Apr 8, 2006
Messages
99,494
Saw this article on Facebook... The comments are kind of mind blowing at how myopic some people are...
 

chrisc

Executive Member
Joined
Aug 14, 2008
Messages
9,739
If you are malnourished, your susceptibility to infection is increased. Your immune system is not 100%
A lowered immune system renders you less likely to recover
 

koeks525

Expert Member
Joined
Jul 14, 2012
Messages
4,977
So we should just bend over and take it when government are being a bunch of dick swinging retards?

Maybe thats OK for you, not for me... When theyre being retards I will call them on it, even if it achieves nothing.

If the government gave everyone R100 000, free of charge, no strings attached, there will be people and institutes that will find room to complain and criticize. Those are the times we live in.

People cried about wanting to smoke again... the state granted powers to smoke through the pandemic (from 1 May 2020)... guess what, there are people and institutes complaining about this.
If the state got rid of all restrictions, people and institutes will complain.
If the state lowered restrictions one or two notches, people and institutes will complain.
If the state secured more funding and was able to get the funds into the hands of people who need it, people and institutes will complain.

People are never happy. It is a tired, done and boring pattern... #RinseAndRepeat.

AMANDLA COMRADE!

No one should ever criticise the government and their actions since the government is the pure embodiment of the people.

Pity titles don't pay the damn bills or get my wine supplies flowing :(
 

azbob

Honorary Master
Joined
Nov 18, 2008
Messages
34,483
People dying from coronavirus : it’s okay, they were old and had co-morbidities anyway.

People dying of poverty : it’s okay, they were poor anyway.
 
Top