More will die due to poverty than the coronavirus - Economist on lockdown system

Lupus

Honorary Master
So, no lockdown, health system gets overwhelmed and collapses (I know, I know), effects of COVID-19 and other ailments gets worse, then this affects the economy...

We end up sitting with high fatality rates and collapsed economy...

How much further can it collapse? I mean it's pretty much on the ground as it is, I mean can it dig a hole and go further?

MissMapp

So, no lockdown, health system gets overwhelmed and collapses (I know, I know), effects of COVID-19 and other ailments gets worse, then this affects the economy...

Or, no economy-wrecking lockdown since the virus will have its way no matter what (isolation never having been an option for anyone except the middle classes anyway), maybe spend a couple of billion earlier in shoring up the health service. Instead of borrowing 500 billion now to try and save a ruined economy, putting the country into even more debt than it was already in, and probably never reaching the people who need it anyway.

daveza

Honorary Master
So this govt who have destroyed the SABC, Eskom, Denel, Health, Transport, Water etc etc are going to feed everyone in our cities and remote rural areas, get schools going again next week with all the required physical distancing measures, get UIF and grants to everyone who needs them - and get hold of R500 billion without stealing/wasting a large amount of it.

Right.

Pixual

Expert Member
The lockdown is unfathomably stupid. It could never work as a containment measure in South Africa and if you disagree with me, please show me the benefit of this "flattening of the curve" that we are experiencing right now. Which hospitals are overwhelmed? I know of one that got CLOSED because some of its workers were infected. That was pure genius on the part of government, wasn't it?

There is no benefit to the lockdown. Pretending that there is would be like putting out the unexpected fire in your BBQ while your house is ablaze all around you. We are being screwed over and told its for our own good.

One thing is for sure though, lockdown has shown me who amongst my circle of influence I am able to converse with in the future and who will be designated poop scoopers.

MissMapp

The lockdown is unfathomably stupid. It could never work as a containment measure in South Africa and if you disagree with me, please show me the benefit of this "flattening of the curve" that we are experiencing right now. Which hospitals are overwhelmed? I know of one that got CLOSED because some of its workers were infected. That was pure genius on the part of government, wasn't it?

There is no benefit to the lockdown. Pretending that there is would be like putting out the unexpected fire in your BBQ while your house is ablaze all around you. We are being screwed over and told its for our own good.

One thing is for sure though, lockdown has shown me who amongst my circle of influence I am able to converse with in the future and who will be designated poop scoopers.
Yes it’s been an eye-opener for me too. People I thought would easily see past the hysterical fear-mongering, falling over themselves to give up every last human right they have, in exchange for the complete illusion of safety.

maeztro

https _d6c748xw2pzm8.cloudfront.net_prod_14588c80-87d6-11ea-820d-a5e2c70426fb-fullwidth.png

And the problem is not just co-morbidities. There are also people who recovered - some of them not very sick either - who is presenting with serious damage to their lungs and other organ systems.

YOU DO NOT WANT THIS BUG IN YOUR FACE!

Jonny_9

Or, no economy-wrecking lockdown since the virus will have its way no matter what (isolation never having been an option for anyone except the middle classes anyway), maybe spend a couple of billion earlier in shoring up the health service. Instead of borrowing 500 billion now to try and save a ruined economy, putting the country into even more debt than it was already in, and probably never reaching the people who need it anyway.

Expertly and succinctly stated.
(I am not sure if you are a girl, but if you are I think I love you)

noxibox

Honorary Master
People are never happy. It is a tired, done and boring pattern... #RinseAndRepeat.
Perhaps time to return to your home planet then. Because, since the beginning of time there will always have been some human that complained about something.

The health system might get overwhelmed. But why would it collapse? Are you expecting all the doctors and nurses to die? All the equipment breaks down and can't be replaced? If overwhelmed some tough decisions would have to be made about who gets treatment and who doesn't. Those decisions would have to use different criteria to what might have applied in another country. Regardless the economy doesn't collapse because this virus kills a very small percentage of those that get infected.

So the initial lockdown gave time for some preparation on the medical front while causing significant economic harm. What is continued lockdown for? If they're not prepared now they never will be. At the same the economic harm isn't going to be linear. Every day will cause more damage than the day before as each destroyed livelihood infects several other livelihoods starting the process of killing those. But people are still talking about a huge wave of cases coming. That means that by the time they hit the economy is going to need a spell in the ICU on a ventilator. Unfortunately the ruling party stole a sackful of critical components. Meanwhile the health system will get overwhelmed and they'll have to make the same tough decisions.

LetsDance

I am convinced that the world has been suckered by over-reacting to this virus - its all the statistics that look so impressive. Well, with 9 billion people on this earth, all death statistics look impressive by looking so huge. The number of deaths by covid-19 is a fraction of 1 percent.

noxibox

Honorary Master
And the problem is not just co-morbidities. There are also people who recovered - some of them not very sick either - who is presenting with serious damage to their lungs and other organ systems.
Yes, a small percentage suffered lung damage. Influenza can do that too. Hardly a reason to burn everything down.

noxibox

Honorary Master
I am convinced that the world has been suckered by over-reacting to this virus - its all the statistics that look so impressive. Well, with 9 billion people on this earth, all death statistics look impressive by looking so huge. The number of deaths by covid-19 is a fraction of 1 percent.
I think the rapid spread and sudden spike in deaths are worrying. But it doesn't help if the attempted prevention is worse than the disease. I fall into one of the higher risk groups, but frankly I'm tired of all the panic and hysteria.

Fargle

I said weeks ago that if a MILLION people died a DAY for 10 YEARS and there were NO births the global population would stand at around 4 billion.
There are around 350 000 births a day.
We ARE the virus...

emptybruwer

I am reading this thread and just shaking my head.. I know of dozens of people that is closing down their stores, can't pay salaries..... I read somewhere that the flu killed +-18000 last year and TB 60000 last year. We didn't make a hype about Flu/TB then as we have all been so used to it. I thought that the lockdown period was so that the Healthcare system can have time to gear up for the influx of all health care cases not just Corona... My wife works for the regional hospital in our area and they are more quite than every before.... We should get this over and done with...

RedViking

Nord of the South

MissMapp