Mortal Kombat (reboot) 2021

phoneJunky

Executive Member
Haha, so fans of Mortal Kombat have been waiting for the new reboot movie since the mid-90's! Well the reviews are in and... we find out that there is no actual fighting tournament in the movie. In fact the plot of the movie is about how they try to avoid fighting in the tournament. Imagine that? A Mortal Kombat movie... with no mortal combat! Way to shoot yourself in the foot!

There is a lot of mortal combat in the movie. It is just Outworld trying to make sure that they win before the tournament.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Haha, so fans of Mortal Kombat have been waiting for the new reboot movie since the mid-90's! Well the reviews are in and... we find out that there is no actual fighting tournament in the movie. In fact the plot of the movie is about how they try to avoid fighting in the tournament. Imagine that? A Mortal Kombat movie... with no mortal combat! Way to shoot yourself in the foot!

There is this,

Sub-Zero Actor Joe Taslim Has Signed on for Four More ‘Mortal Kombat’ Sequels

Get ready for at least four more movies of ice-kicking. Sub-Zero actor Joe Taslim, who plays the iconic villain in the upcoming Mortal Kombat, has revealed that he’s signed on for four more sequels. Flawless victory (for Mortal Kombat fans)!

In an interview with Variety for its Just for Variety podcast, Indonesian actor and martial artist Joe Taslim revealed that he’s signed on for four more Mortal Kombat sequels as Sub-Zero — if Warner Bros. decides to keep going with the franchise.

Noob Saibot.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
There is a lot of mortal combat in the movie. It is just Outworld trying to make sure that they win before the tournament.

I think some people were under the impression to expect a versus movie.

Superman vs Batman...
Gozilla vs Kong...
Mortal Kombat...

All story, scarce combat, no outright winner...

Personally I like what is being done with Mortal Kombat. Also, no Cage, no real tournament, going by the game lore accepted as canon.

Last edited:

Looney

Executive Member
What time is it being released in HBO Max? Is there a way to watch HBO Max? I have Windscribe which works very well with Netflix.

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
OK I watched it... and I think it's pretty decent.
I really got the impression that it's a prequel, so if they do make more we can probably expect the tournament in the next movie.

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
Was pretty decent for a video game movie, probably one of the better ones.

Not sure if it feels right saying this about Mortal Kombat, but it seemed like there were too many fight scenes. Like every tiny encounter turned into a fight.

Story suffered and lacked depth as a result. We don't know much back story about the Outworld guys, they're just kinda there. Or even the point of why MK exists and the significance of the tournament. Hopefully they go into more detail in the next movie...

Pho3nix

The Legend
Big Mortal Kombat fan.. it was okay. Prefer the one from 95 for nostalgia and the OG Street Fighter movie

Actual game has stories and lore about all the characters but I suppose for a first movie it's okay.

Better than Dragon Ball Evolution.

6.5/10

Herr der Verboten

Honorary Master
Stay over there!
4/10 movie, 6/10 brawler, 8/10 opening scene.

As a movie it is imho actually quite bad, but as a brawler and a start for mortal kombat ok to good. Will there be more, well if the idea was a brawler + mortal kombat maybe, but I'm not sure it will be successful enough by its own merits and their (studios) measuring stick.

For the budget it was given, I see 50 mill on imdb, could they have done better? Perhaps. However most of the hype, selling points, money and effort was put into the very first few minutes and then it seems the rest suffers accordingly. Can I go and say for fans it would be a great movie? Hell I'm huge ****ing mortal kombat fan and on that what do I use as judgement? The fights was good, but still there is room for improvement and I've seen even better. The story? We all know that story, not sure how they could make it better other than not turning into rush to the finish line or being a tech-demo. At this I really felt that scorpion's revenge did a better job or even 1995's cheese where there is more than each room is a fight.

What did fail for me was the music choice (and the goro fight scene, we'll get to this in a bit). They could at least had some variation of fighting music other than just one sing-song. You know a bit of personalized theming. Characters? Well Kano imho is the clear winner alongside Hanzo. There seems to be no need for a connection with them or anything other than becoming cannon fodder. Raiden was ****ing terrible, and he looked like a fremen with white eyes. If you are going to do the eyes don't make it white within whites as we've got dune for that. Just give him a decent straw hat and pure white eyes being one shade. Please.

I'm not a fan of the whole family plot angle. If you take them out it literally takes nothing from the movie, but they are there as yet another spider man's wife is now in danger wtf are you going to do about it? Unintended but I did laugh my head off at the baby arms Jax as with baby legs DeadPool. I'm sorry, but I really had a good laugh and still do. Oh the midichlorians; did I miss this or when did Arcana become a thing in mortal kombat? Was it really needed to make this a thing and wrap their inner power around it? Is it not PC to say chi or vital force anymore if we really have to go this route? I don't get why everything needs to be a thing that we must explain, that we must categorize and wrap it up into a layman's explanation.

One thing I would have done is adding a scene where either Cole or someone else plays mortal kombat 1 in an arcade and then work him up to a cage fighter. I think that would have been a nice touch. What do you think?

@Fulcrum29: what did I expect, well I knew going in it is not going to be a tournament movie, I just went in with well it is going to be a movie set in mortal kombat. Did that help with the above commentary and opinions. You tell me. What is a fair analysis?

Last edited:

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
@Fulcrum29: what did I expect, well I knew going in it is not going to be a tournament movie, I just went in with well it is going to be a movie set in mortal kombat. Did that help with the above commentary and opinions. You tell me. What is a fair analysis?

To each their own, right. I am disappointed. They outright killed Kabal... why? Lui Kang was losing and then he summoned his inner Jet Li dragon, come on, and why even use Kabal in this movie??? He cannot be brought back, but many who have died in this movie will return. Kano will be back, Goro will be back, Sub-Zero will return as Noob Saibot, yada yada... Obviously Mileena will be back which also happened to die on the cheap.

Just give me Kabal back, please. Otherwise, the movie was an okay game adaptation with a poor story.

On this note, was they brave enough to kill Kung Lao? I think not, he will also be back. For those who know Mortal Kombat lore, the dead can return, but it comes with complications.

Warner Bros co-own the NetherRealm Studios Mortal Kombat canon. They could have taken the three games and have made a series or three separate movies.

For a prequel this Mortal Kombat movie was cheap.

It is worth to watch Mortal Kombat Legends: Scorpion's Revenge, the animated movie, because Cole is actually in it ;) hence I already knew who he was going to turn out to be though it was spoiled really early into this movie.

Regarding the score, the score was only loyal in the end-credits.

MK_Ultra

So I just watched MK last night and noticed how racist the production was towards the white guy Kano. He was portrayed by the writers as an imbecile and uncooth. He was beaten down by a white female, a couple of asians and eventually becomes a traitor to the good guys who by the way do not have a white guy in their team at this time. It seems Hollywood is hell bent on making white men the butt of all jokes, weak, effeminate or evil in one form or another. That is why I guess we have not had a solo Superman movie from WB for 8 years since Man Of Steel. They gave us a horrible WW84 though, which the progressives and feminists loved. Even though she basically raped a strange man for a few weeks. But hey we can look forward to more woke nonsense from WB and Jar Jar Abrams new Superman development with social activist writer Ta nahesi Coates. Cant wait.

MK_Ultra

Oh and WB also mandated MK be not longer than 2 hrs. Once again messing with the storytelling and giving the world a rushed movie with choppy editing and fights that were too short. WB did the same for GvK and the result is the same.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
So I just watched MK last night and noticed how racist the production was towards the white guy Kano. He was portrayed by the writers as an imbecile and uncooth. He was beaten down by a white female, a couple of asians and eventually becomes a traitor to the good guys who by the way do not have a white guy in their team at this time. It seems Hollywood is hell bent on making white men the butt of all jokes, weak, effeminate or evil in one form or another. That is why I guess we have not had a solo Superman movie from WB for 8 years since Man Of Steel. They gave us a horrible WW84 though, which the progressives and feminists loved. Even though she basically raped a strange man for a few weeks. But hey we can look forward to more woke nonsense from WB and Jar Jar Abrams new Superman development with social activist writer Ta nahesi Coates. Cant wait.

Since you are aptly named MK_Ultra, and want to troll about it, 1/10. I agree WW84 was horrible.

Cray

Honorary Master
Enjoyed the comment about it being spelt wrong.

Herr der Verboten

Honorary Master
To each their own, right. I am disappointed.
Nah, you are welcome to your opinion and dislikes. I'm just asking why one would say for the fans and if so how would they know or what do they use to get to a 7+/10. I am just disappointed, but I've listed some of the main issues for that within a 'good' analysis. I am however always open to other takes on it.
They outright killed Kabal... why? Lui Kang was losing and then he summoned his inner Jet Li dragon, come on, and why even use Kabal in this movie??? He cannot be brought back, but many who have died in this movie will return. Kano will be back, Goro will be back, Sub-Zero will return as Noob Saibot, yada yada... Obviously Mileena will be back which also happened to die on the cheap.

Just give me Kabal back, please. Otherwise, the movie was an okay game adaptation with a poor story.

On this note, was they brave enough to kill Kung Lao? I think not, he will also be back. For those who know Mortal Kombat lore, the dead can return, but it comes with complications.

Warner Bros co-own the NetherRealm Studios Mortal Kombat canon. They could have taken the three games and have made a series or three separate movies.

For a prequel this Mortal Kombat movie was cheap.

It is worth to watch Mortal Kombat Legends: Scorpion's Revenge, the animated movie, because Cole is actually in it ;) hence I already knew who he was going to turn out to be though it was spoiled really early into this movie.

Regarding the score, the score was only loyal in the end-credits.
Sigh. I didn't mention Kabal as with Raiden I'm kind super biased as to how and what they should be. Killing Kung Lay is the same as Rian killing of Luke failing to listen to Lucas's insights. Perhaps MK should have just gone the anthologies route as per Matrix telling different tales within the same universe but keeping it more fleshed out. I don't know, just shooting from the hip. As for the music, well I suppose at least they didn't dub step it, but still I would have liked personalized themed music for at least three of characters.

I'll raise your stuckmann because you know me.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Nah, you are welcome to your opinion and dislikes. I'm just asking why one would say for the fans and if so how would they know or what do they use to get to a 7+/10. I am just disappointed, but I've listed some of the main issues for that within a 'good' analysis. I am however always open to other takes on it.

The opening sequence was superb and it set up a strong movie which collapsed on its own weight. Sub-Zero vs Jax was awesome, and then the combat scenes turned mediocre and badly rushed in the individual sequences which was all comically cheap.

Pending on which timeline, it was Shang Tsung who posed and imitated as Sub-Zero (Bi-Han) who killed Scorpion’s 'legacy' which made Scorpion take vengeance which ultimately sent him to hell or so to speak. Ignoring this, in this movie it is never told how the two clans became mortal enemies, and I guess it is okay, because it would require its own movie, but what isn’t told is how Bi-Han became Sub-Zero and is representing Outworld.

By this time in the movie Cyrax, Sektor and Smoke should already exist knowing what have happened to the Lin Kuei going by existing lore, and saying this, Kaui Liang, the new Sub-Zero/Tundra, should also already be canon.

We know by lore that Bi-Han/Noob Saibot, Sub-Zero and Scorpion serves no one and when they do it is a means to an end, but it is always about their own interests. The same with Shang Tsung, he serves no one, but he uses everyone including his handler(s).

A next movie, what are they going to do, a tournament with the above mentioned cyborg lore retcon into it? They have many more characters to explore, and haven't even touched on Outworld other than having scenes in Outworld. Will Mileena's death give purpose to Shao Khan to invade Earthrealm without a tournament??? All we know is that they are going to hook up with Johnny Cage who in the lore is the actual warrior who unites Earthrealms warriors and not Hanzo Hasashi's blood as this movie told the legend. I doubt we will see the Netherrealm in the second movie. Strictly speaking Shao Khan will now kill Sonya without giving it any thought.

Side note, I don't believe that the Zaterran in the movie was Reptile because Reptile is a more in-depth character who is loyal to Shoa Khan and not to Shang Tsung.

Oh, and what was up with Cole's Aquaman/Atlan armor?

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Just finished it.

Way better than expected. Well balanced ito fan service. R-rating was well utilized, CGI is on point. Combat scenes are engaging. High level of nostalgia. All in all a pretty surprising & a well implemented effort.

PS: Bonus marks to Kano's character. He was a ball of fun.