Mortgage Protection Plan Cover (Life Cover)

Maelly

Expert Member
Guys, just a quick question, I'm in the process of buying a property (all stuff approved and now I'm left with meeting the attorneys to register the bond). The lender gave me a quotation for the Mortgage Protection (for those not in the know, this is a life cover should anything happen to you, e.g. death, (and disability, retrenchment - should u choose these extras) the cover will settle the bond). Their quotation included all the benefits (death, disability, retrenchment, etc) and the premium is quite expensive - as expected.

I have been shopping around since then, and I got a great one (just death and disability) and at a very great monthly premium.

My question, what would you recommend, the exact Mortgage Protection Plan or a standalone Life Cover (that you can cede for the bond protection), and why?

Thanks

Last edited:

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Standalone life cover which is ceded to the mortgage provider. Reason: cheaper.

xrapidx

Honorary Master
Whats high?

I'm paying R190 for R1,680,000 life cover.

xrapidx

Honorary Master
I was thinking the same thing,
I pay around R375,
that includes 1.25 mil for life
1.5 mil for disability
In that case :p

and
R230 for R3,153,000 disability.

total of R420 :)

I also pay R880 for income protection (7-day waiting period)... which I need - I was sick for three weeks a couple of years back and it almost bankrupted me (contractor).

Maelly

Expert Member
Standalone life cover which is ceded to the mortgage provider. Reason: cheaper.
Thanks

Whats high? Sorry, meant the premium, corrected now :)

Ya, sounds good, ok guys, let me get more life cover quotations, and take the best one. NB: I hate those that requires blood tests though, I have a phobia for needles!

syntax

Executive Member
Thanks

Ya, sounds good, ok guys, let me get more life cover quotations, and take the best one. NB: I hate those that requires blood tests though, I have a phobia for needles!
I actually dont think you can get cover without being tested (mainly for HIV i think)

Lupus

Honorary Master
Okay I had a phone call in July with regards to this, not sure if they put it into action or not as I didn't sign anything? Does anyone know how I would go about checking if this Mortgage protection plan is in place?

MartyMarts

Spontaneous Interruption
I actually dont think you can get cover without being tested (mainly for HIV i think)
True. When the nurse came out to get the blood sample she said I'd get a call in 2 or 3 days. A week went by and I started stressing thinking I had some 'bad news' coming... all worked out in the end though.

xrapidx

Honorary Master
Okay I had a phone call in July with regards to this, not sure if they put it into action or not as I didn't sign anything? Does anyone know how I would go about checking if this Mortgage protection plan is in place?
Bank statement?

Lupus

Honorary Master
Still waiting on the house to be registered to me, so nothing has come off from that side...

Lupus

Honorary Master
Welcome to SA ;-) first it was the big strike for all workers that delayed it, then SARS delayed it further, hopefully end of this month, here's hoping

AvOk

In that case :p

and
R230 for R3,153,000 disability.

total of R420 :)

I also pay R880 for income protection (7-day waiting period)... which I need - I was sick for three weeks a couple of years back and it almost bankrupted me (contractor).
I feel like I am being ripped off. I pay R141 a month for R700 000, Life Cover.(Death Benefit) I am 25, don't smoke and I am healthy!

If I may ask, with which company/companies is the above?

xrapidx

Honorary Master
I feel like I am being ripped off. I pay R141 a month for R700 000, Life Cover.(Death Benefit) I am 25, don't smoke and I am healthy!

If I may ask, with which company/companies is the above?
Discovery - through a broker.