Mortymoose's Weber & Buitebraai Offerings to the HO's Gods! - The Resurrection

COMPUTEK

Executive Member
Nothing wrong with frozen steak ... especially if vacuum packed. We usually buy enough to last a while when found on special :thumbsup:

Can NOT taste a difference once it comes off the grit.

Venomous

Honorary Master
Nothing wrong with frozen steak ... especially if vacuum packed. We usually buy enough to last a while when found on special :thumbsup:

Can NOT taste a difference once it comes off the grit.
grit
/ɡrɪt/
small loose particles of stone or sand.
"he had a bit of grit in his eye
grit or grill?
Edit(for clarity)
grit, grill or grid?

Last edited:

Deanoblado

so whats the deal regarding braaiwors vs boerewors? Because i always notice this. Not talking about that cheap crap you get but rather like the post above, e.g is there really a difference between woolies braaiwors vs woolies boerewors.

Chuckmyster

Honorary Master
so whats the deal regarding braaiwors vs boerewors? Because i always notice this. Not talking about that cheap crap you get but rather like the post above, e.g is there really a difference between woolies braaiwors vs woolies boerewors.
boerewors is trademarked and has to contain the ingrediants as specified, cheaper kak is called braaiwors. From what i remember

SeRpEnT

Expert Member
boerewors is trademarked and has to contain the ingrediants as specified, cheaper kak is called braaiwors. From what i remember
https://www.freddyhirsch.co.za/know-your-product-boerewors-vs-sausage

"
For a product to be labelled as boerewors, it must contain at least 90% total meat. This can be beef, pork, lamb and/or goat — as long as the animals used to make the product are declared on the label. Additionally, boerewors cannot contain more than 30% fat.

Boerewors MAY contain:

• Cereal products such as maize meal, rusk, etc
  • Starches
  • Vinegar, spices, herbs and/or salt
  • Permitted additives
  • Water (the % must be declared on the label)

Boerewors MAY NOT contain:

• Colourants
  • Soya/vegetable protein
  • Mechanically removed meat (MRM/MDM)
  • Offal, except the casing
  • "

Cray

Honorary Master
It's a legally protected term...

http://www.foodfocus.co.za/home/Industry-Topics/Quality/So-what’s-in-a-name-–-Boerewors-vs-Braaiwors

Legal Requirements
So, what are the minimum legal requirements to be able to call your product by the traditional name (boerewors)?

90% meat content
less than 30% total fat content
No offal
No mechanically deboned meat
And the only additives allowed are vinegar, water, cereal and starch, spices, herbs, salt and permitted additives.

Anything else and its braai wors!

SeRpEnT

Expert Member
But if you MUST have braaiwors and for some reason cannot afford boerewors (like a day before payday or late January...) then the Woolies version of braaiwors isn't half bad. But hey...it's Woolies and you might pay similar price at Spar for the real McCoy..

Chuckmyster

Honorary Master
But if you MUST have braaiwors and for some reason cannot afford boerewors (like a day before payday or late January...) then the Woolies version of braaiwors isn't half bad. But hey...it's Woolies and you might pay similar price at Spar for the real McCoy..
before payday i often make a tiny fire and just braai 1 or 2 braaibroodjies with just cheese onion and tomato. Better than no braai at all

SeRpEnT

Expert Member
before payday i often make a tiny fire and just braai 1 or 2 braaibroodjies with just cheese onion and tomato. Better than no braai at all
I might just do that today. And no it's not THAT time of the month. I am home as my young one is off sick. I want to braai but everything is frozen solid. Meh. Braaibroodjies it's going to be!