Mortymoose's Weber & Buitebraai Offerings to the HO's Gods! - The Resurrection

Mortymoose

Honorary Master
/Mutter, mumble, grumble........ as Moose stumbles out into the cold morning Atlantic mist to head down the alley on his walk to work.........

:(

Some advice required from the members of the South African and South West African chapters of the Cremation Society.

I had set up the pyre and lit it up, to create the embers for the potjie to begin in a while. Out of nowhere a swarm of bees happens upon me and swarms around the lit pyre. I bare it for a while but then the numbers grow and I decide it's safer to wait inside.

I know that bees grow lethargic with smoke, but these ones are downright excited!

What gives?

Update on the bees. They are following the fire and smoke! After some time, I moved the fire from the backyard to the front, now the bees are coming to the front! WTF! :crying:

The_Mowgs

Executive Member
Update on the bees. They are following the fire and smoke! After some time, I moved the fire from the backyard to the front, now the bees are coming to the front! WTF! :crying:
Thats strange. Light another fire in the front and braai at the one they are not at.

If they are still there, pull up a chair and beer for them and make small talk, they so enjoy a nice braai.

Thats strange. Light another fire in the front and braai at the one they are not at.

If they are still there, pull up a chair and beer for them and make small talk, they so enjoy a nice braai.
Fek! They mostly died of exhaustion. I kid you not. I'll post a picture just now of my garage floor. They were buzzing in anticipation of the potjie I suppose and tired themselves out.

Jokes aside, this is so weird. I wonder if it has anything to do with the sugar content of the wood being burnt

Here I sit in a little place I call home, minding my own business and cooking up some supper. But these bees refuse to leave me alone. I have to get up every few minutes to shoo them away from me. Even with all this smoke, they come.

76F993AF-F9EA-4A0C-A658-EABEFE3583B2.jpeg

4D4E4B05-5AD6-4364-B3FE-8200C717C952.jpeg

Also attached pics of the ones that flew until they died of exhaustion.

DF86B1CD-DBC7-4A9F-A294-E2F552419AA9.jpeg

5E19A671-C1F4-4C3B-90D2-FA999E63715F.jpeg

Here I sit in a little place I call home, minding my own business and cooking up some supper. But these bees refuse to leave me alone. I have to get up every few minutes to shoo them away from me. Even with all this smoke, they come.

View attachment 647952

View attachment 647954

Also attached pics of the ones that flew until they died of exhaustion.

View attachment 647956

View attachment 647958
Google says you may have accidentally disturbed either a nest or a ‘ temporary’ swarm - which can apparently appear just about anywhere overnight when they’re looking for a new place to nest.

I’m guessing they probably tried to chase the ‘threat’ (that would be you), so they followed when you moved to the back - but the smoke had already rendered their chemical maps useless.

Be careful once the fire’s gone out just in case they decide to regroup and come after you without the smoke. Apparently they can go mental if you try to shoo them . The swarm cavalry could pitch up and they fly faster than you can run.

Hope you’ve made it & enjoying your potjie.
https://www.buzzaboutbees.net

Google says you may have accidentally disturbed either a nest or a ‘ temporary’ swarm - which can apparently appear just about anywhere overnight when they’re looking for a new place to nest.

I’m guessing they probably tried to chase the ‘threat’ (that would be you), so they followed when you moved to the back - but the smoke had already rendered their chemical maps useless.

Be careful once the fire’s gone out just in case they decide to regroup and come after you without the smoke. Apparently they can go mental if you try to shoo them . The swarm cavalry could pitch up and they fly faster than you can run.

Hope you’ve made it & enjoying your potjie.
https://www.buzzaboutbees.net
Oh they were annoying but harmless company. I got tired of shoo'ing them away so they rested on me and took off again. Rinse and repeat.

Potjie over. My belly is full. I'm home alone so it was a belated birthday dinner for one. Burp!

I shall have a wee tipple of whisky and then plonk myself on the couch for a movie. :)

Enjoy your weekend Daisy.

Oh they were annoying but harmless company. I got tired of shoo'ing them away so they rested on me and took off again. Rinse and repeat.
Hmmmm. Just saw your earlier post. :unsure:
Herb tea party leftovers > germinating 'cacao' seeds > smiley happy friendly bees > munchies & burps ? :ROFL:
No but srsly though, have a great belated birthday weekend.

Mortymoose

Honorary Master
/Wonder where the Moose is ?

I be here boet!
Alone at work for the Easter Weekend, been a bit busy, but managed to squeeze in a braai yesterday and today the English HO is forcing me to have a ...... wait for it.... wait for it.... A lentil pie..... for DInner! :eek:

This off course be the fault of the Middle Child of mine who decided to shun the ways of the ancient meat eating types and now I have been condemned to my first Easter Saturday as a vegemeterian type....

In addition to this, I have managed to stay sober for thirteen entire days....... :crying: .... Even when I received the news from Scotland in the middle of the week that one of my Uncles, Uncle Morty, the man my dear mother named me after , decided to kick the bucket, I raised a glass of water in his name and not the traditional brew bru! :X3:

The Clan Gods are not amused....

Then just to tempt me, my partner informs me that he left three cases of Grolsch in the store room for me as they are a slow mover and will be expiring shortly.....

And the cherry on top? The English HO put some prime beef rib in yon freezer device for me to cremate either on Sabbath Sunday or Maniac Monday...... and we all know that man cannot cremate without an ale in the hand!

Later okies.....