Mortymoose's Weber & Buitebraai Offerings to the HO's Gods! - The Resurrection

Moereloos

My burnt offerings from my little smoker on Sunday...
Top layer: Two chickens, the bigger one with a cajun rub and peri-peri basting and the smaller one with plain chicken spice and balsamic basting. About 1/2kg of pork Cumberland sausage round it off.
On the lower level, a 2.5kg leg of mutton, stuffed full of garlic and marinated overnight in yoghurt and then rubbed with a spice mix and chilli flakes.
Lamb was for Sunday supper and Monday lunch, chickens for Monday supper and Tuesday lunch. We'll have the wors for breakfast on Wednesday20190714_163845.jpg20190714_164915.jpg

handyman007

My burnt offerings from my little smoker on Sunday...
Top layer: Two chickens, the bigger one with a cajun rub and peri-peri basting and the smaller one with plain chicken spice and balsamic basting. About 1/2kg of pork Cumberland sausage round it off.
On the lower level, a 2.5kg leg of mutton, stuffed full of garlic and marinated overnight in yoghurt and then rubbed with a spice mix and chilli flakes.
Lamb was for Sunday supper and Monday lunch, chickens for Monday supper and Tuesday lunch. We'll have the wors for breakfast on WednesdayView attachment 684317View attachment 684319
What smoker is this?

Moereloos

And, what's your opinion of the smoker? Want to buy one as well, but would be nice to get your view.
I am very happy with mine. It is only 8 months old, so I can't say how durable it is but it is easy to clean and I can't see any rust yet.
It is also relatively clean to use. Right at the bottom is a bowl that you make the fire in (i drilled 3 8mm holes in the bowl to allow better ventilation). Below the bottom grid (about half-way up the smoker) is another bowl that catches all the drippings so you don't have any flare-ups from fat dripping into the fire. You can also place the fire bowl on the lower grid and use it as a regular braai.
I arrange my briquettes around an aluminium pot and light it on two sides (see photo - ready for meat) - this way it stays between 140 - 160 degrees for 4 to 5 hours. The smoker dust goes into the pot and is burnt as the pot heats up. You can also easily top the briquettes and smoker dust up through the door on the side.

I have also used it as a cold smoker - I just removed the fire bowl and put a single electric spiral hotplate (R119 from Clicks) with the aluminium pot full of saw dust under the smoker. The hot plate regulates itself and releases a good puff of smoke about every 20 to 30 minutes while the temperature in the smoker never goes higher than 40 degrees.
20190714_124927.jpg

handyman007

I am very happy with mine. It is only 8 months old, so I can't say how durable it is but it is easy to clean and I can't see any rust yet.
It is also relatively clean to use. Right at the bottom is a bowl that you make the fire in (i drilled 3 8mm holes in the bowl to allow better ventilation). Below the bottom grid (about half-way up the smoker) is another bowl that catches all the drippings so you don't have any flare-ups from fat dripping into the fire. You can also place the fire bowl on the lower grid and use it as a regular braai.
I arrange my briquettes around an aluminium pot and light it on two sides (see photo - ready for meat) - this way it stays between 140 - 160 degrees for 4 to 5 hours. The smoker dust goes into the pot and is burnt as the pot heats up. You can also easily top the briquettes and smoker dust up through the door on the side.

I have also used it as a cold smoker - I just removed the fire bowl and put a single electric spiral hotplate (R119 from Clicks) with the aluminium pot full of saw dust under the smoker. The hot plate regulates itself and releases a good puff of smoke about every 20 to 30 minutes while the temperature in the smoker never goes higher than 40 degrees.
View attachment 684455
Awesome. Think the price is only about R 999, so will get me one.