Most pirated shows of 2019

Hanno Labuschagne

Journalist
Staff member
Most pirated shows of 2019

Game of Thrones was the most downloaded TV series on BitTorrent during 2019, TorrentFreak has stated in its annual rankings.

HBO’s popular series saw the most pirate downloads during 2019 despite the final season only running for six episodes.

Season 7, the penultimate season, contained seven episodes. Prior to that, all Game of Thrones seasons comprised 10 episodes each.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Did The Flash get better? I abandoned it somewhere near end of Season 1.

Ninja'd

A Djinn
Did The Flash get better? I abandoned it somewhere near end of Season 1.

I dropped it after season 4. Melodrama got a bit too much for me after all that time. I'd say you're better off not continuing it even though I liked S2.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
1/10. Why would you pirate TBBT when it was free on the CBS website to watch? Boggles the mind.

eg2505

Honorary Master
Mandalorian excellent,
Chernobyl even better as its based on reality.

walking dead still going?
I mean how much can we show the world is screwed and will never get better?

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
1/10. Why would you pirate TBBT when it was free on the CBS website to watch? Boggles the mind.

The better question is why would you watch it at all?

But to answer the question, because I don't normally watch TV on websites.

Pythonista

Why wouldn't it be? You don't have an inherent right to the content.
Hmmm - If a publisher creates content that is desirable to a wide audience, and it's not available by legal means to a part of that audience, then I'm afraid that accessing the material can't really be called piracy if the publisher never wanted it sold (ie marketed) there and thus never expected any return. That's my 2c

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Why wouldn't it be? You don't have an inherent right to the content.

No, but it’s a grey area because you aren’t actually taking money/market away from anyone.

There isn’t a loss to any party as it wasn’t available anyway.

So the term “piracy” shouldn’t apply in this case.

saor

Honorary Master
Hmmm - If a publisher creates content that is desirable to a wide audience, and it's not available by legal means to a part of that audience, then I'm afraid that accessing the material can't really be called piracy if the publisher never wanted it sold (ie marketed) there and thus never expected any return. That's my 2c
You assume you have a right to all digital content.
You don't.
If I sell an ebook on kindle only and you don't have a kindle or Amazon account, you don't have a right to that book by virtue of not having access to it.

That said, I don't give a crap about someone pirating Mandalorian.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
No, but it’s a grey area because you aren’t actually taking money/market away from anyone.

There isn’t a loss to any party as it wasn’t available anyway.

So the term “piracy” shouldn’t apply in this case.
I would think that content producers, of any nature, have a right to determine where and when their content might be released despite when you might want them to do so. They might be planning to release it at a later stage, which is their right, as is not releasing it at all.

Personally I don't care if people pirate content, it just amuses me when they try so hard to justify it. :)

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
I would think that content producers, of any nature, have a right to determine where and when their content might be released despite when you might want them to do so. They might be planning to release it at a later stage, which is their right, as is not releasing it at all.

Personally I don't care if people pirate content, it just amuses me when they try so hard to justify it. :)

Not trying to justify it in any shape or form.

Just think we need a new word in these cases where there is no license holder losing out on the theft of said license.

It would be like cloning something after the original company went bankrupt kind of thing.

deesef

Expert Member
You assume you have a right to all digital content.
You don't.
If I sell an ebook on kindle only and you don't have a kindle or Amazon account, you don't have a right to that book by virtue of not having access to it.

That said, I don't give a crap about someone pirating Mandalorian.
Not really the same. You don't need a Kindle and anyone may create an Amazon account, then legally consume your ebook on a variety of devices.

Otoh, Disney is actively blocking access to their media for most of the world.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Just think we need a new word in these cases where there is no license holder losing out on the theft of said license.
You can't say, with absolute certainty, that Disney has no intention of ever either launching their content in SA or licensing it to someone else, ignoring that they're under no obligation to do so just because you want to watch it. Can you?