Most popular operating systems for PCs and smartphones

deesef

Expert Member
For android smart phones, that list is NOT the most popular os's, but rather the "most available releases", as many older phones were not provided with any upgrade path.

The general public are not big on downloading and installing " custom" os's and the manufacturers prefer to sell new phones. They spent the absolute minimum effort on releasing upgraded os's for older models.

BigAl-sa

Executive Member
For android smart phones, that list is NOT the most popular os's, but rather the "most available releases", as many older phones were not provided with any upgrade path.

The general public are not big on downloading and installing " custom" os's and the manufacturers prefer to sell new phones. They spent the absolute minimum effort on releasing upgraded os's for older models.
My experience is that the general public do not upgrade anything, let alone the os.

etienne_marais

Executive Member
What is the current situation with server operating systems ? Linux predominance growing or shrinking ?

FNfal

Executive Member
No surprises there ,People were forced to move to windows 7 and liked it, unlike windows 8 and 10 that were developed for touch screen and ahead of their time .
I still prefer windows 7 .

Genisys

Honorary Master
No surprises there ,People were forced to move to windows 7 and liked it, unlike windows 8 and 10 that were developed for touch screen and ahead of their time .
I still prefer windows 7 .
Windows 8 and 10 is for touch screen? Odd, I ran both on none touch screen devices without issues, actually prefer both above Windows 7.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
Windows 10 was free for a year and so few people upgraded. The mind boggles...

Ipwn 4

Expert Member
Linux is still predominant...
Windows has its place but most servers are still Linux based

Considering the direction Microsoft is heading with dot net core Linux will only gain more market share on the server side.