Most popular torrent sites in the world – 2018 vs 2017 vs 2016

RaptorSA

Expert Member
Hurray for RARBG... I'd prefer it not to be as widely known as it is though.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
:( I miss kickass
TPB has the most annoying popups
TPB doesn't have popups for me. Make sure you're running uBlock Origin to block ads.

Hurray for RARBG... I'd prefer it not to be as widely known as it is though.
Yeah, RARBG is the best currently. I totally rely on the top 10 page to stay in the loop about what's just become available.

Although since starting a Newshosting trial I've stopped downloading torrents. Newshosting is what usenet should be - nice desktop app, integrated search, max download speeds, insane retention, auto download settings, no data cap etc.

RaptorSA

Expert Member
Although since starting a Newshosting trial I've stopped downloading torrents. Newshosting is what usenet should be - nice desktop app, integrated search, max download speeds, insane retention, auto download settings, no data cap etc.
No idea what that actually is but thanks, I'm going to look into it.
I kept paying for a usenenet account but never actually used it so I closed it a while back, was just too much of a pain in the butt trying to find something and dealing with dead links etc. etc.
I just pirate the latest movies etc. since the compression quality for streaming on my crappy ADSL connection (even at 1080P) just doesn't cut it on my projector.

Somehow pirating movies that are going to be released on streaming services I pay for in a few months anyway doesn't feel like pirating.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
No idea what that actually is but thanks, I'm going to look into it.
I kept paying for a usenenet account but never actually used it so I closed it a while back, was just too much of a pain in the butt trying to find something and dealing with dead links etc. etc.
I just pirate the latest movies etc. since the compression quality for streaming on my crappy ADSL connection (even at 1080P) just doesn't cut it on my projector.

Somehow pirating movies that are going to be released on streaming services I pay for in a few months anyway doesn't feel like pirating.
I found usenet frustrating in the past for the same reason. It just had nowhere close to the ease of use and reliability of torrenting. But that's why I'm digging Newshosting. Everything is in one place - you just open the app, search for what you want and download it. It works amazingly well, I've never had something not finish downloading and the selection of stuff seems to be far greater. And of course, download speeds destroy torrenting.

ponder

Honorary Master
I found usenet frustrating in the past for the same reason. It just had nowhere close to the ease of use and reliability of torrenting. But that's why I'm digging Newshosting. Everything is in one place - you just open the app, search for what you want and download it. It works amazingly well, I've never had something not finish downloading and the selection of stuff seems to be far greater. And of course, download speeds destroy torrenting.
My torrents download at line speed, I also stream torrents directly using soda player no issues.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
My torrents download at line speed, I also stream torrents directly using soda player no issues.
Torrents can reach line speed for me if the seeds are good, but more often than not the seed/peer ratio is really bad. Torrent speeds generally fluctuate a lot and take a while to get going. Not saying torrents suck, because it's what I've mostly been using for years. But Newshosting is on a whole different level. Giant selection of content, perfect 9+MB/s after a few seconds, everything in one app etc.

Definitely worth a few bucks a month for the privilege imo.

Considering the time it takes for new torrents to get a healthy seed/peer ratio, I'd be surprised if Soda Player can get around that. Prefer just downloading things outright and throwing them in the network storage for the family to access over the network.

airborne

Honorary Master
Do you have a link to this newshosting thing, sounds promising.

Petec

Expert Member
8/10, and I am also glad, that a few of the other awesome ones are not on this list.
The Man, mustn't know everything