MotoGP 2018

Agent_Smith

Honorary Master
Pretty exciting racing in MotoGP and Moto2 (I didn't see Moto3). Binder was surprisingly robust in the early stages, happy to trade paint with the likes of Bagnaia and Marquez. Pity they couldn't live with the SkyVR46 riders at the end. The track itself is not particularly interesting but it does seem to promote close racing.

thestaggy

Honorary Master
Always wondered about this. Is this sport not governed by WADA?

Done some quick browsing; Its actually the official MotoGP doctor - Dr. Claudio Costa - that is allowed to dispense the painkillers via injection but from what I've read it only offers some relief and does not entirely suppress the pain, just makes it bearable.

As for screening, they do indeed screen against performance enhancing drugs.

Regarding Dr Costa, its quite an interesting story. He volunteered his services way back in 1972, became so popular with the riders that they eventually demanded he follow them around the world, so he founded a mobile clinic - Clinica Mobile - that has been at every GP since 1976.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claudio_Costa_(doctor)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_Clinic_(sports)

https://www.clinicamobile.com/

Agent_Smith

Honorary Master
Marquez can wrap up the title this weekend in Motegi if he wins the race (or just finishes ahead of Dovi). A win here will put him at 5 championships, behind only Giacomo Agostini and Valentino Rossi.

Datura

Captain Faptastic
Marquez can wrap up the title this weekend in Motegi if he wins the race (or just finishes ahead of Dovi). A win here will put him at 5 championships, behind only Giacomo Agostini and Valentino Rossi.
How dare you exclude Mick Doohan.

Marquez still has a long way to go before getting 5 consecutive championships like Dohaan (5 consecutive out of 5 total), Rossi (5 consecutive out of 7 Total to date) and even further from Agostini's 7 consecutive wins out of a total of 8 championship wins.

thestaggy

Honorary Master
Valentino Rossi accepts Marc Marquez will beat his MotoGP records

Valentino Rossi has conceded that his MotoGP records are in danger if Marc Marquez continues his current form.

Honda rider Marquez's seventh win of 2018 in Thailand was his 42nd since he graduated to MotoGP in 2013, and puts him within touching distance of a fifth premier class championship crown.

He leads nearest rival Andrea Dovizioso by 77 points with four rounds left to go, meaning he could wrap up this year's title this weekend at Motegi if he isn't outscored by the Ducati rider by more than a point.

At just 25 years of age, Marquez appears to be on track to surpass Rossi's record 89 premier class wins, as well as the Italian's haul of seven premier class titles (second only to Giacomo Agostini's eight 500cc championships).

But Rossi insists he has no qualms about Marquez, with whom he has had a famously fraught relationship during their time as rivals in grand prix racing's top tier, potentially going on to surpass his achievements.

"Marquez can beat my records, but it does not bother me," Rossi said last week during an event at the Dainese Store in London.

"You have to think about your own career and I think that mine is good. I won many races and I could have won more championships.

"My biggest regret is losing the championship in Valencia in 2006, when I made a mistake."

Rossi could've maybe even lifted one more title if he didn't move to Ducati, but that is also where he gets massive praise from me; he's won championships on two manufacturers and attempted to win on a third.

Agent_Smith

Honorary Master
How dare you exclude Mick Doohan.

Marquez still has a long way to go before getting 5 consecutive championships like Dohaan (5 consecutive out of 5 total), Rossi (5 consecutive out of 7 Total to date) and even further from Agostini's 7 consecutive wins out of a total of 8 championship wins.

Where did I mention consecutive...? :unsure:

Agent_Smith

Honorary Master
Dovi on pole with Marquez sixth. Hopefully am home in time for a rebroadcast tomorrow. Won't see it live :( #ForzaDucati

JK1

Valentino still have class written all over him. I can say the same about Mick Doohan and also Mr Agostini.

For me 46 will always be a class on his own!

zeb

Expert Member
Well done to Marquez. I've said it before, but he's destined to become the greatest rider of all time.

Also congrats to Darren Binder for getting on the podium. That being said, I'm very disappointed about his f-bomb at the interview. He's a professional sportsman and should know better. Also not the first time he's shown a lack of class. Twice this year he made offensive hand gestures to fellow riders involved in crashes with him.

Datura

Captain Faptastic
Well done to Marquez. I've said it before, but he's destined to become the greatest rider of all time.

Also congrats to Darren Binder for getting on the podium. That being said, I'm very disappointed about his f-bomb at the interview. He's a professional sportsman and should know better. Also not the first time he's shown a lack of class. Twice this year he made offensive hand gestures to fellow riders involved in crashes with him.
He's from springs isn't he? I can't remember.

Woke up late so missed the first two races. The Elite class wasn't spectacular but great riding as always. Marquez is one of my least favourite riders (sitting just below the likes of Kocinsky and Biaggi) but totally deserves this one and many more. He is fscking grand! Congrats!

Agent_Smith

Honorary Master
Congrats to Marc Marquez and Honda on another dominant championship win. Think he had it pretty easy this year. An uncompetitive team mate, a Yamaha no show and Dovi being his own worst enemy with his spills throughout the year.

Hopefully 2019 will be a closer affair.

Agent_Smith

Honorary Master
Friday free practice times for the Australian GP at Phillip Island. News coming in of a big crash for Cal Crutchlow in FP2, who got stretchered off while holding his leg. Might not see him on Sunday. Alvaro Bautista is on the second Ducati in place of Jorge Lorenzo this weekend.

FP1
FP1.JPG

FP2
FP2.JPG

Agent_Smith

Honorary Master
What a ride from Brad! I thought he'd cooked his tyres with about 5 laps to go but he hung in there. Fantastic stuff

zeb

Expert Member
What a ride from Brad! I thought he'd cooked his tyres with about 5 laps to go but he hung in there. Fantastic stuff
Great ride. Wish they got his bike setup right earlier this year, he would've been right up there with a shot at the title. Maybe next year.

Yoh, intense race. But what an accident for Zarco! Scary stuff.
Insane accident! I don't think there's ever been a crash at that speed in MotoGP. And getting up and walking away. Like one of the commentators said, "he should buy a lottery ticket"

greg0205

Honorary Master
Great ride. Wish they got his bike setup right earlier this year, he would've been right up there with a shot at the title. Maybe next year.

Insane accident! I don't think there's ever been a crash at that speed in MotoGP. And getting up and walking away. Like one of the commentators said, "he should buy a lottery ticket"

At that speed?

Michele Pirro would like a word...