MotoGP 2021

zeb

Expert Member
Excellent ride from Darryn on those slicks. Pity the track didn't dry as quickly as hoped.
He did very well, but there's no doubt in my mind if he won in the manner that Acosta did he'd be penalized for exceeding track limits. Garcia was behind Alcoba when he fell and there was no reason for him to leave the track.
It also looked like he exceeded right at the start of the final lap, even the commentators mentioned this, but it wasn't revisited.

Agent_Smith

Honorary Master
It was only the third time in MotoGP history that the first five riders across the line were on different manufacturers' bikes. (Martin - Ducati, Mir - Suzuki, Quartararo - Yamaha, Binder - KTM, Nakagami - Honda).

First time was in Catalunya in 2007 (Stoner - Ducati, Rossi - Yamaha, Pedrosa - Honda, Hopkins - Suzuki, du Puniet - Kawasaki)
Second time was in Brno in 2008 (Rossi - Yamaha, Elias - Ducati, Capirossi - Suzuki, Nakano - Honda, West - Kawasaki)

thestaggy

Honorary Master
The reason why Oliveira had to retire;

6ryy8qhzrkg71.jpg

thestaggy

Honorary Master
The reason for Binder's struggles, as I surmised, is the new tyre construction. KTM had to adapt the bike to the new construction - which coincided with Miguel's surge in performance - while Binder is still battling to find confidence in the new tyres. Binder is ultra-aggressive on the brakes and requires a lot of confidence in his front end. His poor quali and better race performance give me the impression that he is taking time to get a feel for the front end.

Michelin will be introducing a different compound for the hard tyre this weekend in response to Miguel's tyre falling apart. The hard front last week was asymmetrical, for this week it will be symmetrical. Word is KTM will benefit the most from this, so hopefully this has a some sort of positive impact on Binder. If Binder can qualify on the front two rows, he will be a handful because of his late-race pace.

Agent_Smith

Honorary Master
The reason for Binder's struggles, as I surmised, is the new tyre construction. KTM had to adapt the bike to the new construction - which coincided with Miguel's surge in performance - while Binder is still battling to find confidence in the new tyres. Binder is ultra-aggressive on the brakes and requires a lot of confidence in his front end. His poor quali and better race performance give me the impression that he is taking time to get a feel for the front end.

Michelin will be introducing a different compound for the hard tyre this weekend in response to Miguel's tyre falling apart. The hard front last week was asymmetrical, for this week it will be symmetrical. Word is KTM will benefit the most from this, so hopefully this has a some sort of positive impact on Binder. If Binder can qualify on the front two rows, he will be a handful because of his late-race pace.

Yup, this interview with him after Austria 1 backs up what you say

greg0205

Honorary Master
Say what now?

Yamaha’s decision follows an in-depth analysis of telemetry and data over the last few days.

Yamaha’s conclusion is that the rider’s actions could have potentially caused significant damage to the engine of his YZR-M1 bike which could have caused serious risks to the rider himself and possibly posed a danger to all other riders in the MotoGP™ race.

greg0205

Honorary Master
What did he do?
I'm not sure.

Get the feeling that Yamaha's statement about data and telemetry is a fig leaf to cover for the bigger issues between the team and Mav...

Recon folks should be taking bets on if we see Vinales on a blue bike again. Ever.

thestaggy

Honorary Master
I'm not sure.

Get the feeling that Yamaha's statement about data and telemetry is a fig leaf to cover for the bigger issues between the team and Mav...

Recon folks should be taking bets on if we see Vinales on a blue bike again. Ever.

Yamaha seems to be quite a toxic place.

They looked to have salvaged things with Morbidelli and now the Mav situation may have gone Chernobyl.

Last edited:

RVFmal

Expert Member
If it is true that Vinales was purposely trying to kill the engine, I suspect that he may have bigger problems in the paddock than with just Yamaha. What manufacturer will want to be associated with a potential saboteur?