Motor Ombudsman (MIOSA) experiences

Chris.Geerdts

Expert Member
Hi. I see there were some entries on this but a while ago.

A few months after lodging a very serious complaint, I have had absolutely nothing back and no idea of how long they plan to take to handle the case

I wondered if anyone has experienced a helpful outcome?

Franky03

I have had an experience with this in the past. There is a stipulated timeframe in which they need to respond to your complaint, granted that you followed the correct procedures and submission guidelines.

If memory serves, there is a specific time in which they confirm receipt of the claim submitted and then also inform you who will be reviewing/ dealing with the case. They then have a further timeframe in which to respond / give their verdict. I think it was around 3-4 weeks?? I cant remember anymore....

I had a positive outcome on my complaint which saved me a lot of $$$

Chris.Geerdts

Expert Member
OK. That's encouraging. I've asked them a few times and they said they don't work to timeframes. Somewhere on their site it says '30 days from receipt of all available information' but when I call in they can't explain what that means. By any measure, my complaint has been several months outstanding.

Franky03

I just had a look at some of the emails and they confirmed receipt of my claim within 5 working days and gave me a case number. In that email they explain how they need to give all parties sufficient time to respond etc and that it may take a while and to please be patient. They further mention that if you dont hear from them within a months time, you may follow up.

About another 5 working days after the confirmation email and case number, I was assigned a case worker.

Claim / complaint was submitted 13 july 2018 and a verdict was given 7 August 2018 so dont know if I was just lucky.