MOTOROLA MB525 ON RBM 200

BDG2010

Hey Guys!

Im a newbie here, hope you guys can help me out!

Im in the market for a smartphone (My first! Weird i know) and been doing some research and this Motorola MB525 on red bull mobile 200 seems the best deal in town! Especially now that there is an update to android 2.2. And being 21 and into my sports and stuff i actually find those Red Bull apps and stuff awesome! And it supposedly includes a subscription to the red bulletin magazine every month! Im so keen on this contract, just seems to good to be true!

Iv just finished a long 2 year battle with virgin mobile and i dont want to get myself into that situation again! It seems different with RBM.

Anyway iv been reading on the other topic on the red bull mobile experiences but they seem to be rather old so i wanted to find out if most of these problems have been sorted out before jumping into the contract this week?

I wanted to know if people are still having major issues with this deal?

And can the MB525 on the RBM 200 be upgraded to FroYo? I think i saw somewhere that it cant.

Please help me out ASAP guys, desperate for my new deal!

Thanks, much appreciated!

onlyoneken

I haven't read the other forum you mention, but I know 2 people (my mother and a friend at work) with that phone/contract and both happy with it. The only issue that I have heard about from them is that the account inquiry service does not always update with your current number of sms' in the sms bundle. This may have been sorted out by now though.

Tim182

Expert Member
Hey Guys!

Im a newbie here, hope you guys can help me out!

Im in the market for a smartphone (My first! Weird i know) and been doing some research and this Motorola MB525 on red bull mobile 200 seems the best deal in town! Especially now that there is an update to android 2.2. And being 21 and into my sports and stuff i actually find those Red Bull apps and stuff awesome! And it supposedly includes a subscription to the red bulletin magazine every month! Im so keen on this contract, just seems to good to be true!

Iv just finished a long 2 year battle with virgin mobile and i dont want to get myself into that situation again! It seems different with RBM.

Anyway iv been reading on the other topic on the red bull mobile experiences but they seem to be rather old so i wanted to find out if most of these problems have been sorted out before jumping into the contract this week?

I wanted to know if people are still having major issues with this deal?

And can the MB525 on the RBM 200 be upgraded to FroYo? I think i saw somewhere that it cant.

Please help me out ASAP guys, desperate for my new deal!

Thanks, much appreciated!

I also came from VM and switched to this deal. Its great, the handset can be upgraded to 2.2, sms balance is showing and the service is generally very good.

note that this MB525 runs a non-blur version. It looks the same but FB sync and integration as well as a few other things don't work. From what I know only the US and UK version of this phone have Blur. You can easily flash one of those firmwares though.

zamicro

Expert Member
note that this MB525 runs a non-blur version. It looks the same but FB sync and integration as well as a few other things don't work. From what I know only the US and UK version of this phone have Blur. You can easily flash one of those firmwares though.

So this is the reason why my FB account does not work... I was wondering why the FB app works 100% but I cannot setup FB as an account.

Tim182

Expert Member
So this is the reason why my FB account does not work... I was wondering why the FB app works 100% but I cannot setup FB as an account.

Vanilla Android does not support FB sync. It is up to the phone manufacturer to incorporate this into the system. I know HTC and Samsung have done this for all their phones. Motorola has added the functionality with Blur. Unfortunatelyt this MB525 is a non-blur version so we have lost the fuctionality. It has its benefits too as this version runs smoother. Anyway, you can flash a UK rom to enable Blur, however you will lose your warranty. Also, not all Roms work on all Defys so do some research first...

ginggs

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Super Moderator
From the Red Bull Mobile page on the MB525, here:
The Motorola MB 525 is based on the Android OS and comes with MOTOBLUR, which automatically synchronises e-mails, news and status updates from social networks and saves the data on the MOTOBLUR secure server.

So are you saying the RBM doesn't come with BLUR, or since you upgraded to 2.2 you lost BLUR?

Tim182

Expert Member
From the Red Bull Mobile page on the MB525, here:

So are you saying the RBM doesn't come with BLUR, or since you upgraded to 2.2 you lost BLUR?

It didn't come with Blur from what I can remember and didn't have blur once I updated to 2.2. The mobile page is wrong...

newb5000

I use Contapps to sync Facebook profile pics with my contacts. No custom ROM necessary.

If your you have the email address of your contact saved and that email happens to be the email address they use to log onto Facebook, then the sync should happen automatically, otherwise you manually map contact to Facebook friend. At least that's how I think it works :)

Sent from my MB525

Tim182

Expert Member
I use Contapps to sync Facebook profile pics with my contacts. No custom ROM necessary.

If your you have the email address of your contact saved and that email happens to be the email address they use to log onto Facebook, then the sync should happen automatically, otherwise you manually map contact to Facebook friend. At least that's how I think it works :)

Sent from my MB525

There's a big difference. That app simply links pics. Proper FB sync downloads all FB contacts including their photos, emails and phone numbers onto your phone.

Nishano

non moto blur ?

Thanks for the info, a non moto-blur motorolla, pretty strange and excellent to know. :)

Cell c have been warning of internet connectivity problems with this device ( motorola MB525 aka Motorola defy )

Have you experienced any problems what so ever ?

This post is off topic, though, will u recommend this RBM package ? The RBM HD (aka Huawei IDEOS 5 ) is the alternate option.

r00igev@@r

Executive Member
I have a MB525 (use it on MTN) and it has been very solid. I have dunked it in my beer a few times...

Mostly use it with wifi at work and at home with CSIPSimple, Sticher and TuneIn.

ginggs

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Super Moderator
Cell c have been warning of internet connectivity problems with this device ( motorola MB525 aka Motorola defy )
Where have they made this warning?
This post is off topic, though, will u recommend this RBM package ? The RBM HD (aka Huawei IDEOS 5 ) is the alternate option.
The RBM 200 is package is excellent value for money.

My wife originally got the Huawei, but after problems with it, Cell-C swapped it for the Motorola and she has been much happier, see here.

Nishano

thanks for the info,

r00igev@@r CSIP seems very cool, would love to try it. Dunking in beer, ( thats such a party trick)

ginggs Cell c emailed me , recommending the RBM HD and informed me of the Moto problem. Moto Defy, seems like the way to go.

RBM 200 is the value package at the moment, Even though its Per minute billing, ( which translate rationally to 100 free minutes+/- [depending on use ofcourse]) its still a great deal.

only other deal I was considering was Virgin Mobiles Galaxy S2 and HTC sensation for R320 p/m ( 1000 sms, R300 air time , 60/1 Billing , i.e Pay first min of call, thereafter per second )
not bad considering that they are cutting edge BRAND new phones.

Though, RBM 200 with Moto defy seems like a great package.

THANKS FOR THE INFO GUYS !

zamicro

Expert Member
...RBM 200 is the value package at the moment, Even though its Per minute billing, ( which translate rationally to 100 free minutes+/- [depending on use ofcourse]) its still a great deal....

Take note that the RBM200 is NOT R200 airtime/100minutes. It is 200 minutes!

Shayd

Expert Member
Lets not forget it's not just 200 anytime minutes but 500 megs of data too.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using MyBroadband Android App

Shayd

Expert Member
Oh and 100 sms's

Sent from my GT-I9000 using MyBroadband Android App

Nishano

Yes, I comprehend,

las, It was an attempt to rationalise the Use of the 200 minutes @ per minute billing
( for every call made you would have to sacrifice a singular minute, i.e. if one was to make 100 calls, they would have had sacrificed 100 minutes)

I've been reading about the rationalisation of per second billing and per minute billing. the consensus seems to favour per minute billing if the price per minute is rational.

This contract has an out of bundle rate of R1.50p/m that is half what I am currently on at the present moment ( MTN ZONE per minute billing )