Motorola MB525 VS HTC Desire White VS Galaxy Ace??

BDG2010

Hey Guys! I’m not too sure where to post this!

I’m a newbie to the site and to the Smartphone world, but I’ve been doing my research! After a long hard 2 years with Virgin Mobile I have cancelled my contract and I’m free to choose a new phone and contract of my choice! :)

I’ve pretty much narrowed it down to the Motorola Defy (MB525) VS HTC Desire White VS Samsung Galaxy Ace! These all pretty much in my price bracket of a mid range Smartphone. All there specs are very similar so now I’m really confused!

What are your thoughts on these phones and what should I go for? I’m leaning towards the MB525.

Has Froyo been officially released on the MB525?

Please please help guys, I’m so confused!

Thanks!

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
Has Froyo been officially released on the MB525?

Please please help guys, I’m so confused!

Thanks!

Agreed! :D Good choice!

Yes...Motorola have released FroYo for the Defy. Updated mine with their Software Updater.

scotty777

...doesn't know
they all have their pro's and cons...

However, toss the Galaxy Ace out... the screen is smaller(and crap pixel density), the processor is the same one that is found in the Wildfire (orginal and S), which means it's not as efficient, and doesn't have flash (which isn't very nice...).

The Moto defy has Motorola's shyte support history behind it, but apparently, they aren't too hard to root (download z4root from Market iirc). The defy does have a slower processor than the desire, however, the gpu in the defy is a little bit better, which means playing Dvix movies via things like Rockplayer will be just as smooth.

Hmmm, it's a tough choice between the desire and the Motorola though... If you want a water resistance phone, that will take a lot of damage, then the defy is the winner... but If you naturally careful with your phone, and you think the desire looks better, then go for that... however, just remember you can't put a price on that piece of mind you get with the defy (I mean, if you get caught in the rain, you can still call your friends on how shyte the weather is... while it's raining :p).

Also, I think (I'm not 100% here though!), but the Defy is able to play more higher-tier games like Modern-Combat, where as the desires GPU just can't compete. So that's another factor.

Nishano

Would recomend the Defy aka MB525, has higher benchmark score than the ace and desire, ( quadrant )

Form factor feels great in the hand, def a quality built product.

Rands

Expert Member
Holy ****!

I never thought id see the day when this forum recommends a Moto over a HTC!

Ancalagon

Honorary Master
Are you sure you mean the Desire, or the Wildfire? The Desire will be the fastest phone out of this selection without doubt, since it is the only one to have a 1GHz CPU.

Nameite

Expert Member
Defy by far!

I own one, flashed it to cyanogen mod v7.1 and OC'd it to 1.1ghz...quadrant score is 2.5k, where as the desire's qudrant score is around 1k...

Even before the mod, I had it on froyo and it was smooth and nice...best was when i get drunk and fall into a pool...the phone still works perfectly (apart from the front speakers not working for a while because it is blocked by water)

I would not even consider the other two phones if they're similar priced...drop resistant, water resistant (up to 1m for 30min), dust resistant, glass is scratch resistant, able to OC to 1.2ghz@56vsel...it runs even better now than my mate's iphone 4 (after I brought me a 16gig class10 tf card)

Anyways, the phone is smaller than on photos and easier to handle...the rubber around the phone makes it less likely to drop out of your hand if you riding a bike and talking at the same time...if you're as clumsy and insane(stupid in a sense) like me...get a defy.

If you want the phone just for looks and being classy and sh*t, get the Desire

Nameite out~

Rands

Expert Member
has anyone actually tested the waterproofness:) of a defy. I dont mean by accident, but actually put it in a bowl of water to test it?

ha ha...just wondering?

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
has anyone actually tested the waterproofness:) of a defy. I dont mean by accident, but actually put it in a bowl of water to test it?

ha ha...just wondering?

Just cause you can lick your own balls dont mean you should! :)

I sleep soundly at night knowing that should a nasty hobbit jump out the bushes and push me into the pool with my phone in my pocket it should be ok. Does not mean I am going to tempt fate and test it on purpose for a phone that I am paying a 2 year contract for. I have learnt that that girls called fate can be a real biatch when she wants to be.

And that is all I have to say on the matter :)

scotty777

...doesn't know

ha ha...just wondering?

I don't know, but I simple can't put my phone into a glass of water... something inside me says it's wrong on all levels! ha ha.

Speedster

Honorary Master
Desire S is also a shweet option. Plus, unlike the Defy, the Desire & Desire S have Gingerbread.

scotty777

...doesn't know
Desire S is also a shweet option. Plus, unlike the Defy, the Desire & Desire S have Gingerbread.

nothing a little flash won't fix... and it's been said that the defy will be getting Gingerbread... If it does, them motorola will be breathing new life into their life proof phone!

Kenny

ha ha...just wondering?

I did just that! I was a bit drunk and *just had to* prove that my phone can ring out of the glass of bear. :)

Qrox

Expert Member
Heard some good things about the Desire and Galaxy Ace. Wouldn't bother with Moto tbh.

Nishano

Motorola Defy, submerged in a glass of water for 5 min,
called it, screen displayed underwater,

This was a week ago and still going strong, cool party trick.

Want to attempt taking video footage underwater. ( need something worthy of capturing, maybe valley of the waves in summer:)

HdB

GSMArena shows the Defy has a li-po battery, instead of the usual li-ion - any comments on its battery life?
Obviously it differs on usage, but in a light usage situation?

Best I've got with my badly aging HTC Dream with CM 6.1 installed, is 4 days with very very light use.