Movie Mini-Review Thread - Part II

cerebus

Honorary Master
Molly's Game - 7/10. If you like Aaron Sorkin's style, you'll like this; if not, avoid. Blisteringly fast dialogue that often leaves you feeling rather cold towards the events; but a few standout moments ground the film in the consequences of the high-stakes poker.

daveza

Honorary Master
Murder on the Orient Express (2017) 7.5/10

.5 included for the scenery and Michelle Pfeiffer looking scrumptious as always.

I prefer Peter Ustinov or David Suchet as Poirot, Branagh was not convincing.

Nevertheless an entertaining movie although if you have seen any of the other versions it can only spoil the ending.

rph72

Executive Member
The Descent (2005) - 8/10

A caving expedition goes horribly wrong, as the explorers become trapped and ultimately pursued by a strange breed of predators.

Watched the unrated version, really enjoyed it. Lots of gore.

Got Part 2 (2009) lined up to watch next. IMDB rating is much lower on this one. :erm:

WaxLyrical

Honorary Master
Wonder Woman? As long as Super Hero movies are around they'll churn them out.
JL effectively damaged the brand even with WW in it, and she can only do so many sequels before calling it quits.
Including Superman and his cgi lip at the last minute plus a standalone Aquaman movie are signs of a desperate studio.

theratman

Executive Member
JL effectively damaged the brand even with WW in it, and she can only do so many sequels before calling it quits.
Including Superman and his cgi lip at the last minute plus a standalone Aquaman movie are signs of a desperate studio.
I disagree. The movies were planned and announced years ago, Aquaman was announced in 2014. I for one look forward to the Aquaman movie.

Superman's cgi lip was only obvious in the opening scene. Due to Joss Whedon coming on for reshoots.

Last edited:

theratman

Executive Member
Ritual 2017

Not too bad but kinda boring once the main threat kicks in. Could have been alot more but all in all not too shabby. 6/10

beans100

Executive Member
Cloverfield Paradox :wtf:/10

Watched it, can't decide if I enjoyed it or not. Still trying to make out what it has to do with the Cloverfield movie (except for the thing that showed it's face in the last few seconds of the movie)
Well, was entertaining to a certain degree.

Bond

James Bond
The Descent (2005) - 8/10

A caving expedition goes horribly wrong, as the explorers become trapped and ultimately pursued by a strange breed of predators.

Watched the unrated version, really enjoyed it. Lots of gore.

Got Part 2 (2009) lined up to watch next. IMDB rating is much lower on this one. :erm:
First horror movie I enjoyed.

WaxLyrical

Honorary Master
I disagree. The movies were planned and announced years ago, Aquaman was announced in 2014. I for one look forward to the Aquaman movie.

Superman's cgi lip was only obvious in the opening scene. Due to Joss Whedon coming on for reshoots.
We're getting Aquaman because all previous DC movies were mediocre.

They're very nervous about the sequels at this point.

ponder

Honorary Master
Murder on the Orient Express (2017) 7.5/10

.5 included for the scenery and Michelle Pfeiffer looking scrumptious as always.

I prefer Peter Ustinov or David Suchet as Poirot, Branagh was not convincing.

Nevertheless an entertaining movie although if you have seen any of the other versions it can only spoil the ending.
I have not seen it yet but based on reviews your score seems flattering.

UrBaN963

Executive Member
I have not seen it yet but based on reviews your score seems flattering.
Which is why reviews generally count for niks. Just watch the movie and form your own opinion - there were things wrong with it but I agree with Daveza, it was thoroughly enjoyable. David Suchet will always be Poirot for me,couldn't fully get behind Branagh in the role. But it was a good effort by everyone and, not knowing the story, I liked it.