• You are not registered on MyBroadband, which means you miss out on great benefits. To join our community is very easy, and completely free. Register now.
  • New Two-Day Giveaway - Enter Here

Movie Mini-Review Thread - Part II

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Escape Plan 2: Hades (2018) 4.5/10

Much much crappier than the decent first installment. Extremely dumb played out story, low amount of action scenes. Stallone only doing 15mins of screentime says enough.

Spizz

Goat Botherer
Thanks! Was wondering about this. Will wait for it to come to HBO before I waste money on it.
Best movie I've seen all year I reckon.

7 Days in Entebbe (2018) 8.5/10

The movie managed to portray both sides as human with the raid being almost supplementary to the story. Great story at a good pace with a conclusion that drives home the profound fact that no matter where we are from, what side we are on, at the end of the day, we are all the same.

crackersa

Honorary Master

The movie managed to portray both sides as human with the raid being almost supplementary to the story. Great story at a good pace with a conclusion that drives home the profound fact that no matter where we are from, what side we are on, at the end of the day, we are all the same.
Damn. Ok, I will have to check this out than. Thank you.

WaxLyrical

Honorary Master

Interesting.
Got panned due to "historical inaccuracies"

Readsalot

Expert Member
I've been strengthening my kung fu this week by visiting a couple of old favourites starring Donnie Yen. After Shaolin (2011) 8/10 (mentioned above, starring Andy Lau) I watched Ip Man (2008) 8/10 and Ip Man 2 (2010) 7/10. Since I'm on the Ip Man trip I've also got The Grandmaster (2013) lined up for this weekend. I saw it when it came out but I never got around to rating it. It was nominated for two Oscars: Cinematography and Costume Design.

Then I'll return to Donnie Yen with two I haven't seen yet: Painted Skin (2008) in which he fights a vampire and 14 Blades (2010) in which he's James Bond for the Ming Dynasty.

Spizz

Goat Botherer
Interesting.
Got panned due to "historical inaccuracies"
I wouldn't expect anything else with a movie such as this. The outline of the story is well known and based on fact, but the drama comes from the characters and relationships that are Hollywood'fied.

Braveheart won an Oscar after all, embellishment is what film makers do. Still made it a great movie of course, but historically it was miles away from the nearest facts.

cerebus

Honorary Master
I've been strengthening my kung fu this week by visiting a couple of old favourites starring Donnie Yen. After Shaolin (2011) 8/10 (mentioned above, starring Andy Lau) I watched Ip Man (2008) 8/10 and Ip Man 2 (2010) 7/10. Since I'm on the Ip Man trip I've also got The Grandmaster (2013) lined up for this weekend. I saw it when it came out but I never got around to rating it. It was nominated for two Oscars: Cinematography and Costume Design.

Then I'll return to Donnie Yen with two I haven't seen yet: Painted Skin (2008) in which he fights a vampire and 14 Blades (2010) in which he's James Bond for the Ming Dynasty.
Have you seen SPL: Kill Zone?

Readsalot

Expert Member
Have you seen SPL: Kill Zone?
Yes. At the moment I'm more interested in the traditional type of kung fu movies, though, rather than the modern action type movies.

There's a newish movie with Donnie Yen and Andy Lau called Chasing the Dragon (2017) that got some pretty good reviews that I still want to see.

theratman

Executive Member
Hereditary 2018

Oh my, knew very little going into this one and it was fantastic. It's a real mindfsck horror, something like a mix of insidious 1 and the witch. People in the cinema were freaking out too, great stuff. If you like horrors then give it a go, it's a slow burner but the scares are worth it. 8/10

UrBaN963

Executive Member

Don't miss Ip Man 3.

Readsalot

Expert Member
Don't miss Ip Man 3.
I saw it fairly recently, if I remember correctly. It came out in 2015, right? Think it was released on Blu-ray in 2016, which is when I watched it. I might watch it again just before I watch Ip Man 4, which should be some time next year.

UrBaN963

Executive Member
I saw it fairly recently, if I remember correctly. It came out in 2015, right? Think it was released on Blu-ray in 2016, which is when I watched it. I might watch it again just before I watch Ip Man 4, which should be some time next year.
Okay cool just making sure you were aware of it.

daveza

Honorary Master

Flash Point, Kung Fu Killer, Dragon, Kill Zone ?

Readsalot

Expert Member
Flash Point, Kung Fu Killer, Dragon, Kill Zone ?
Not interested in the modern action type movies atm, like FP, KFK and KZ, as I've seen them fairly recently. I'm enjoying the more traditional type of kung fu movies, like Iron Monkey.

I've got Fist of the Dragon, also known as Heroes Among Heroes (1993) on my list. Not sure about Dragon (2011). Great movie but I remember it pretty well because I liked it so much and it came out comparatively recently.

Looking forward to Enter the Fat Dragon (2018)!