Movie Mini-Review Thread - Part II

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Like Father (2018) 6/10

Slightly above average coming of age comedy. Kelsey Grammer is likeable.

thestaggy

Honorary Master
Avengers: Infinity War (2018) - 8/10

Massively entertaining, can't decide between this or Winter Soldier for #1 . Thanos was standout and he joins Vader and Davey Jones at the top of my list of all-time villains.

I'd easily give it a 9 if I knew the sequel had the balls to go through with some of the purges we saw at the end but I know that won't happen for various reasons. I've no doubts that most of them will be returning, if not all, but it would be awesome if they don't completely undo what Thanos has done.

Last edited:

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Wolf Creek (2005) 6.5/10

An old watch but a first time watch. Fairly disturbing but a pretty convincing Aussie horror.
Wolf Creek 2 (2013) 7/10

I know I am in the minority here but I preferred the sequel. Mostly due to a more flowing story than the 1st installment. Production quality is noticeably better in the sequel as well.

It needs to be said that if the 1st film was “disturbing”then the 2nd film raises it to an eleven scale! It’s properly intense!

PS: Next I’m gonna sunk my teeth into the series. S1 & S2.

RazedInBlack

RazedInBlack
Wolf Creek 2 (2013) 7/10

I know I am in the minority here but I preferred the sequel. Mostly due to a more flowing story than the 1st installment. Production quality is noticeably better in the sequel as well.

It needs to be said that if the 1st film was “disturbing”then the 2nd film raises it to an eleven scale! It’s properly intense!

PS: Next I’m gonna sunk my teeth into the series. S1 & S2.
To me it just felt like they made a sequel for the sake of making one. The first one had a dark slow brooding atmosphere but still felt intense and engaging. Maybe it was the "Based on a True Story" tag line ( I watched it way back when it released in 2005).

BTW, what did you think of that kangaroo scene? :D

Also thinking of trying the series. Didn't know it was out already.

FiestaST

Honorary Master
To me it just felt like they made a sequel for the sake of making one. The first one had a dark slow brooding atmosphere but still felt intense and engaging. Maybe it was the "Based on a True Story" tag line ( I watched it way back when it released in 2005).

BTW, what did you think of that kangaroo scene? :D

Also thinking of trying the series. Didn't know it was out already.
I dunno hey. A number of years lapsed from the 1st one. They made this one as there was still lots of interest in the character. I agree with the dark & slow approach of the 1st film. To me the balls to the wall approach of the 2nd one won me over.

Shame poor kangaroos lol. Seriously though there is properly sick scenes in the 2nd installment. This is coming from a person who watched both Hostel movies & watched all 8 Saw films!

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Isle of Dogs (2018) 8/10

Such a brilliant charming movie. Stellar renderings & a beautifully told story, great humour. Ticks every single box. Wes Anderson traits aplenty.

Readsalot

Expert Member
Deadpool 2 (2018) 8/10.

Well, as expected, Deadpool 2 was worth the wait. I knew it was going to be funny but I didn't expect there would be a decent story with some heart between all the banter. The first one was slightly funnier with better action scenes, imo, but this is a worthy successor.

FiestaST

Honorary Master
The Book of Henry (2017) 5.5/10

Weird tone change from the middle onwards pretty much destroys what could have been a good tearjerker film.

simm_card

Expert Member
Deadpool 2 (2018) 7/10

Thanos: who are you?
Deadpool: I'm BATMAN!

Thanos: I'm from the future.
Deadpool: Is Dubstep still a thing?
Thanos: Dubstep is for p°ssies
#cue# Skrillex - Bangarang

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Marshall (2017) 7/10

Solid well-structured biographical legal drama. Chadwick Boseman is convincing in his role.

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Hot Summer Nights (2017) 6.5/10

Dark coming of age drama. Good young cast but film comes across as slightly superficial.