Movie Mini-Review Thread - Part II

Cius

Expert Member
Watched two old Batman films last month
Batman Begins: 8/10
Overall still one of my favourite Batman film although it did at times feel rushed.

The Dark Knight Rises: 7/10
Still good but did not enjoy it nearly as much as the first one.

And then unrelated:
Instrument of War (2017): 7/10
Surprisingly decent WW2 prisoner of war film about a bomber pilot shot down over Germany and captured who was also a violinist. Shows how with almost no resources he makes a violin with the help of his bunk-mates while a prisoner. Interesting view of camp life and a family friendly movie. Enjoyed it despite the cast of mostly unknowns. Jack Ashton was the only actor I recognized from some BBC series.

ekske1

Expert Member
Anyone seen this, can't figure a few things out.

View attachment 600206
The Vanishing 2018

So what was the question? I'd rate the movie as follows:

Beginning - 7/10 seems to be going somewhere
Middle - 5/10 god...
End - 3/10 sigh...

It starts out interesting and seems to be going somewhere with Thomas "the bad pirate crab killer". Then when the plot element arrives it goes into a flat spin of human common elements; the kill to greed.

My main gripe was I couldn't hear / get some of Thomas's dialogue like what was the actual plan. Also the main plot element going into kill to greed and then that guy going bananas. How did the other guy just magically happen to be there that he knew? How did he just lost his ****.

Not a flick I would recommend.

daveza

Honorary Master
The Vanishing 2018

So what was the question? I'd rate the movie as follows:

Beginning - 7/10 seems to be going somewhere
Middle - 5/10 god...
End - 3/10 sigh...

It starts out interesting and seems to be going somewhere with Thomas "the bad pirate crab killer". Then when the plot element arrives it goes into a flat spin of human common elements; the kill to greed.

My main gripe was I couldn't hear / get some of Thomas's dialogue like what was the actual plan. Also the main plot element going into kill to greed and then that guy going bananas. How did the other guy just magically happen to be there that he knew? How did he just lost his ****.

Not a flick I would recommend.
The question is

Who was in the small building that the guy gave food to, how did he get there and was it the same person they chased in the dark.

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Green Book (2018) 7.5/10

Great immersive story dealing with sensitive matters in a light-hearted way. Has a great sense of charm. The chemistry between Mahershala Ali & Viggo Mortensen is excellent.

daveza

Honorary Master

daveza

Honorary Master
7.5/10

Came across this by chance and enjoyed every 122 minutes of it.

Lots of hate for it by some - perhaps the prevailing anti US sentiment has something to do with it.

It's a movie, not a documentary so not sure why so many are irked by the implausibility of the plot.

Most fun I've had all year.

1547625860073.png

theratman

Executive Member
7.5/10

Lots of hate for it by some - perhaps the prevailing anti US sentiment has something to do with it.

It's a movie, not a documentary so not sure why so many are irked by the implausibility of the plot.

View attachment 604186
Going to give this one a watch tonight, doesn't sound too bad going on the reviews.

7.5/10

View attachment 604186
Nope...definitely not my cup of tea...has a distinctive b-grade whiff about it.