Movie Mini-Review Thread - Part II

OrbitalDawn

Ulysses Everett McGill

Cius

Executive Member
Bridge of Spies 7/10. Hanks and Spielberg never miss a beat telling the world how perfect Merica is.
You must have watched a different movie to me. I thought Bridge of Spies was highly critical of most Americans.

Cray

Honorary Master
Not even 3 years since King Arthur: Legend of the Sword which was excellent.

Haven't seen (the new) Aladdin.
The New Aladdin was decent in parts (although I still fail to see the point in some of these live action remakes). I guess I meant more like a signature film "Modern Crime". I guess I see a Guy Ritchie film has having it's own style, not following the Disney template (yes I know he needs to work too). I had forgotten about King Arthur which was better than it had any right to be...

WaxLyrical

Honorary Master
Underwater 5/10 - Wasted potential.
Bloodshot 5/10 - Diesel does a bad impression of Dom Torretto and it's annoying af.

Cius

Executive Member
Did you watch till the soppy end, and what criticism are you referring to?
Yes, was one of the best movies I watched actually in the last decade. To me the whole point of the movie was how idiotic the average US citizen is. The way the judge behaved, the public towards him for just being a lawyer, the downed pilot was an idiot, and that was all correctly portrayed and fairly accurate. The typical US citizen is very happy with freedom and rights for all until they get a little bit afraid or angry or the person asking for those rights is different to them and then suddenly they forget their vaunted morals. That movie did a pretty decent job at portraying that. The movie was predominantly about American's and the vast majority of them where shown as small minded short sighted idiots with the lawyer being a rare case of someone who held to his moral compass even when it was distinctly inconvenient. It also shed the Eastern spy in a very positive light. Hence my surprise at your comment saying it was very pro America. It was astonishingly anti the US establishment and showing how one decent private citizen with a brain could help the ineffectual "system" that much and how prejudiced the average US citizen or even senior judge can be.

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Bloodshot (2020) 6/10

Pretty OTT for what it is, for the most part entertaining ito of explosions & action but nothing more besides that. The part-Cape Town setting was enjoyable.

cerebus

Honorary Master
Emma (2020) - 7.5/10. Not the best adaptation but fun. I'm not sure if I like the actress who played Emma though.

FiestaST

Honorary Master
The Invisible Man (2020) 7/10

Clever well-paced sci-fi horror. Elisabeth Moss was extremely convincing.

Azg

Expert Member
Vivarium (2019) - 5/10. Scifi/horror.
Interesting at the beginning, but overall a pointless 100 minutes.

MightyQuin

Honorary Master
Vivarium (2019) - 5/10. Scifi/horror.
Interesting at the beginning, but overall a pointless 100 minutes.
I liked it, but I think the message was quite obvious and simplified.

6.5/10 for me...

Azg

Expert Member
I liked it, but I think the message was quite obvious and simplified.

6.5/10 for me...
I got the message. I guess my frame of mind when i watched it was that I was hoping for something more to happen, more than a parable or allegory. I still don't think they needed all of 100 minutes to get it across.

FiestaST

Honorary Master
The Gentlemen (2019) 7.5/10

Guy Ritchie's return to form. Has a similar spirit to Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels and Snatch. Great setting & cast.

WaxLyrical

Honorary Master
Hank's serves as nothing more than a poster boy for American freedom and upholding the constitution, when their foreign policy is anything but. Would his character defend OBL?

Even his next movie continues with "propaganda"