Movie Mini-Review Thread - Part II

dualmeister

Honorary Master
Same, I can't do Hanks or war movies generally & this looks especially meh.
Also saw he wasn't too happy about it not releasing in cinema...
I watched The Outpost, but not going to rate it. So over Americans trying to look like they are the biggest heroes in the world.

And the stupid location for a base with worst security. They literally walked down the mountain into the camp...

Watching Palm Springs now though. So basically another Groundhog Day.

Last edited:

Blu82

Expert Member
I watched The Outpost, but not going to rate it. So over Americans trying to look like they are the biggest heroes in the world.

And the stupid location for a base with worst security. They literally walked down the mountain into the camp...

Watching Palm Springs now though.
The actual stupidity of the initial American commanders in Afghanistan was almost legendary.

Alan

Honorary Master
Different strokes I guess.

Major Tom Hanks fan.

Big lover of war-themed films.

So Greyhound (on paper) is right up my alley.

Will watch with an open mind later & provide my opinion.
When was he promoted?

The trailer couldn't have put me off more. Here I thought Midway's trailer was an abomination

FiestaST

Honorary Master
When was he promoted?

The trailer couldn't have put me off more. Here I thought Midway's trailer was an abomination
Promoted? I dunno.

I just shared my 2c as being a TH fan + War films fan.

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Palm Springs (2020) 7/10

Clever romcom, not too far off Groundhog Day for millennials but implemented well enough. Lots of fun.

Splinter

Honorary Master
Ad Astra - 6/10. It was sooo boring
So boring a never finished it :)
I did. The ending was stupid. Lazy, uncreative storytelling throughout. Actually 6/10 is way too generous :p
Ad Astra. I have never seen such a fail from a big budget (sci-fi) movie with big stars in it before. I cannot begin to describe how bad it was - @wbot you only got a couple of the monumental plot failures in your spoiler.

I had seen here before that the ending disappointed - was hoping till the end, that the end would redeem the fails before it. Sadly not. And then I look at the reviews online - seems the moody music, cinematographic's and the human drama blinded some people. In my opinion of course. But jeez.

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Greyhound (2020) 7/10

Fast-paced World War II thriller, no drawn out story here. Lots of tense scenes with a good buildup. Tom Hanks was convincing.

wbot

Expert Member
Ad Astra. I have never seen such a fail from a big budget (sci-fi) movie with big stars in it before. I cannot begin to describe how bad it was - @wbot you only got a couple of the monumental plot failures in your spoiler.

I had seen here before that the ending disappointed - was hoping till the end, that the end would redeem the fails before it. Sadly not. And then I look at the reviews online - seems the moody music, cinematographic's and the human drama blinded some people. In my opinion of course. But jeez.
Yup it's bad. Have you also noticed that almost
every character that comes into contact with Pitt's character dies?

I only realized that a couple of days after watching it. It's one of those movies.

Splinter

Honorary Master
I only realized that a couple of days after watching it. It's one of those movies.
Oh, there is so much more worse with this movie.

The Earth is in peril. As in end of all life on earth. He is needed to send a message to his dad (to try and save the earth). So they send him via commercial airline to the moon (to stop some "panic""). Then send him basically unguarded, while moon pirates attack, to some secret base. These moon pirates made me laugh. Yes, we will spend billions to get on the moon to destroy the moon buggies we want to pirate.

Then he gets on a rocket ship to go to Mars. All alone. Lets remember that the fate of the world apparently hangs on him. And then allows a diversion to go to an SOS, where aggressive animals have killed the entire crew. And the Captain of his transport.

Then when on Mars, gets extremely confidential information from a woman, who his dad ostensibly killed her parents. The same woman who wasn't allowed to see him reading a message from a piece of paper. In a sudden sound booth on Mars. Said woman then ends her career giving him a frikken underground tunnel access, on Mars, to a mission to nuke the threat to humanity.

Jeez, I could go on.

cerebus

Honorary Master
Palm Springs - 7.5. very funny take on Groundhog Day with a bit too much randomness

wbot

Expert Member
Oh, there is so much more worse with this movie.

The Earth is in peril. As in end of all life on earth. He is needed to send a message to his dad (to try and save the earth). So they send him via commercial airline to the moon (to stop some "panic""). Then send him basically unguarded, while moon pirates attack, to some secret base. These moon pirates made me laugh. Yes, we will spend billions to get on the moon to destroy the moon buggies we want to pirate.

Then he gets on a rocket ship to go to Mars. All alone. Lets remember that the fate of the world apparently hangs on him. And then allows a diversion to go to an SOS, where aggressive animals have killed the entire crew. And the Captain of his transport.

Then when on Mars, gets extremely confidential information from a woman, who his dad ostensibly killed her parents. The same woman who wasn't allowed to see him reading a message from a piece of paper. In a sudden sound booth on Mars. Said woman then ends her career giving him a frikken underground tunnel access, on Mars, to a mission to nuke the threat to humanity.

Jeez, I could go on.
Nah for me the absolute worst part is
Pitt sneaking into the rocket during launch. It's just utter bs. He should've been burnt to a crisp in an instant. Not to mention that he then goes on to hijack the rocket after causing the deaths of the crew and then flies solo all the way to Neptune (and then back to Earth later).

Actually found this bit from an actual real-life astronaut about this scene of him sneaking into the rocket:

""If you were standing in that kind of a vibration or acoustic environment, it would actually liquefy your internal organs," Wheelock said. "You would literally die internally before you'd even be hit by fire from the rockets. That was super unrealistic and not technically possible or feasible."

FiestaST

Honorary Master
The Old Guard (2020) 6.5/10

Average enough action-fantasy film. A bit of a human story attached to it.

daveza

Honorary Master
The Old Guard (2020) 6.5/10

Average enough action-fantasy film. A bit of a human story attached to it.
The locked in a cage for 100 years under the water thing freaked me out.
Like how many times did she drown ?

cenredash

Expert Member
Promoted? I dunno.

I just shared my 2c as being a TH fan + War films fan.
Promoted, as the OP called himself a major Tom Hanks fan. Or rather a fan of Major Tom Hanks, as if he had been promoted, or privately calls himself.

Major is like a military rank, running from Private all the way up to Major then General. Which is in itself kinda funny because General also means vague or non specific. Which is kinda the exact opposite of what it means in terms of specifically the most senior rank. Then again, rank also means bad smelling, so general would be the worst smelling of all military people. Which may or may not make sense if you subscribe to the notion that what smells really bad is ****. And as they say **** floats to the top. Which, in terms of rank, military or smell, is where Generals are on top.

MightyQuin

Honorary Master
Promoted, as the OP called himself a major Tom Hanks fan. Or rather a fan of Major Tom Hanks, as if he had been promoted, or privately calls himself.

Major is like a military rank, running from Private all the way up to Major then General. Which is in itself kinda funny because General also means vague or non specific. Which is kinda the exact opposite of what it means in terms of specifically the most senior rank. Then again, rank also means bad smelling, so general would be the worst smelling of all military people. Which may or may not make sense if you subscribe to the notion that what smells really bad is ****. And as they say **** floats to the top. Which, in terms of rank, military or smell, is where Generals are on top.
1594484766122.png