Movie Mini-Review Thread - Part III

Datura

Captain Faptastic
Joker (2019): 5/7

What an overhyped, overacted and overrated film. How on earth did J.P. get an Oscar for this rubbish? Truly a letdown.

It wasn't all schit and there were a few good parts. I tried to give it a second viewing but I think once was enough.

Last edited:

Datura

Captain Faptastic
Where The Wild Things Are 7.5/10 https://www.imdb.com/title/tt000386117/

Fantastic film. Highly recommend getting baked and watching it. The struggle within a child's mind portrayed by big awesome monsters and the sound track is by Karen O (lead singer of the Yeah Yeah Yeahs and long time crush of mine) and The Kids.

SHL

What an overhyped, overacted and overrated film. How on earth did J.P. get an Oscar for this rubbish? Truly a letdown.

It wasn't all schit and there were a few good parts. I tried to give it a second viewing but I think once was enough.
I also didn't get the hype this one received. Ended up forwarding/skipping to get through it.

saor

Honorary Master
Where The Wild Things Are 7.5/10 https://www.imdb.com/title/tt000386117/

Fantastic film. Highly recommend getting baked and watching it. The struggle within a child's mind portrayed by big awesome monsters and the sound track is by Karen O (lead singer of the Yeah Yeah Yeahs and long time crush of mine) and The Kids.

Maybe my memory is wrong but it was a bunch of creatures being pedantic moany trivial knobheads.

Datura

Captain Faptastic
Maybe my memory is wrong but it was a bunch of creatures being pedantic moany trivial knobheads.
Each monster portrays and emotion or character aspect of the kid's mind and their interractions and relationships paint a pretty good picture of what is going on in the head of a kid with ADHD just trying to be. Watch it with an open mind. It is NOT a kid's film. It is about a kid's mind and how he deals with the schit going on inside his head, his heart and his soul. Watch it again.

EDIT: But yeah, pretty much what you said lol on a very superficial level. Give the soundtrack a listen at least. Karen O is amazing.

MightyQuin

Honorary Master
Each monster portrays and emotion or character aspect of the kid's mind and their interractions and relationships paint a pretty good picture of what is going on in the head of a kid with ADHD just trying to be. Watch it with an open mind. It is NOT a kid's film. It is about a kid's mind and how he deals with the schit going on inside his head, his heart and his soul. Watch it again.

EDIT: But yeah, pretty much what you said lol on a very superficial level. Give the soundtrack a listen at least. Karen O is amazing.
It's a fantastic movie.

cerebus

Honorary Master

It's total garbage. Just the basic premise (turning a psychotic villain into a Taxi Driver-style antihero figure) is so dubious that I'm surprised it ever got made. But a bunch of incels 'related to' Joker, so here we are.

Really The Dark Knight had exactly the right approach to Joker's origin. i.e., it doesn't matter, you don't need to know, he's a lunatic clown, everything he does is purely to screw with you for the laughs.

Last edited:

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Paper Moon (1973) 7.5/10

Greatly executed comedy-drama set against an interesting backdrop. Top notch chemistry between the 2 O'Neal's.

Neoprod

Honorary Master
All The King's Men (1949) 6/10
Exploration of an idealistic man's rise to power in American politics and what he leaves behind along the way. Interesting and well-made but fairly-straightforward.

Criss Cross (1949) 5/10
Weirdly-written, flat atmospherically. Just didn't engage me that much. Notable for making me use Google in the middle of a movie -

vlcsnap-2021-02-23-18h04m26s367.png

Dark Passage (1947) 6/10
A neat opening, trades a little too much on the Bogart-Bacall dynamic throughout and the villain is given scant attention. It's just okay.

Double Indemnity (1944) 8.5/10
This one nails everything I watch these movies for - the atmosphere, suspense, snappy dialogue, a clever caper...it's excellent. Barbara Stanwyck, Fred MacMurray, Edward G Robinson are great in the lead roles.

Gilda (1946) 6/10
Mostly feels like a series of set-pieces meant to let star Rita Hayworth shine. She's beautiful obviously and costumed \ made-up accordingly (there's a sequence early-on you will recognise from movie night in Shawshank) but it's all kind of pointless posturing. People in the mood for an extravagant production with a star-crossed romance thrown in might enjoy this more.

OrbitalDawn

Ulysses Everett McGill
All The King's Men (1949) 6/10
Exploration of an idealistic man's rise to power in American politics and what he leaves behind along the way. Interesting and well-made but fairly-straightforward.

Criss Cross (1949) 5/10
Weirdly-written, flat atmospherically. Just didn't engage me that much. Notable for making me use Google in the middle of a movie -

View attachment 1025542

Dark Passage (1947) 6/10
A neat opening, trades a little too much on the Bogart-Bacall dynamic throughout and the villain is given scant attention. It's just okay.

Double Indemnity (1944) 8.5/10
This one nails everything I watch these movies for - the atmosphere, suspense, snappy dialogue, a clever caper...it's excellent. Barbara Stanwyck, Fred MacMurray, Edward G Robinson are great in the lead roles.

Gilda (1946) 6/10
Mostly feels like a series of set-pieces meant to let star Rita Hayworth shine. She's beautiful obviously and costumed \ made-up accordingly (there's a sequence early-on you will recognise from movie night in Shawshank) but it's all kind of pointless posturing. People in the mood for an extravagant production with a star-crossed romance thrown in might enjoy this more.
I spot a trend...

Neoprod

Honorary Master
I spot a trend...
Ha, yes...I downloaded a few of these at the same time awhile back. I'm watching them in alphabetical order just because.

At the moment, the Billy Wilder ones stand out as truly timeless (Ace In The Hole and Double Indemnity). I've got The Lost Weekend and Sunset Boulevard to look forward to.

cerebus

Honorary Master
Ha, yes...I downloaded a few of these at the same time awhile back. I'm watching them in alphabetical order just because.

At the moment, the Billy Wilder ones stand out as truly timeless (Ace In The Hole and Double Indemnity). I've got The Lost Weekend and Sunset Boulevard to look forward to.

Sunset Boulevard is bloody great

wizardofid

Executive Member
Finally got around to watching some live action....lol

Tenet 4/10
Yeah it's not because I don't understand it or didn't like. It felt rushed, really a movie that should have been done in two parts, to really explore the world more and provide more back story ect.

Mulan 5/10
Yeah, again rushed, the animated version, regardless of breaking out in song during war is still better.

Soul 8/10
Pretty solid movie, not really meant for young children, the themes are actually quite depressing and morbid to adults.

WW 84 8/10
Prefer this one over the first wonder woman, however they could have spend more time on cheetah.