Movie Mini-Review Thread - Part III

Cray

Honorary Master
I would give it a 3/10 - couldnt get myself to finish watch it. Gets these points for the barbershop scene mostly and nostalgia factor. The rest was quite crap.
Barbershop scenes where the best parts of the original and sequel, wouldn't go as low as 3/10 but 5/10 seems appropriate, not great, not terrible..

Neoprod

Honorary Master
In A Lonely Place (1950) 8/10
Humphrey Bogart plays a misanthropic writer with a disdain for Hollywood who gets caught up in a murder investigation but it's an amazing Gloria Grahame performance that steals the show. The narrative is a little Hitchcock but it's more of a character piece than a murder mystery.

Kiss Me Deadly (1955) 6/10
A very dark adaptation of a Mickey Spillane Mike Hammer story. The contrast between this version and what I remember of the Stacy Keach series we grew up watching is interesting but I didn't care much for anything that was happening in the movie...the characters are kinda flat and uninvolving.

cerebus

Honorary Master
21 Jump Street (2012) and 22 Jump Street (2014) - 7.5/10 each. I just found out these were made by the guys that made Lego Movie and I can see the similarity in the style. There's the same sense of brilliant kinetic chaos and irreverent treatment of the source material. Tatum Channing and Jonah Hill really work together.

RanzB

Honorary Master
21 Jump Street (2012) and 22 Jump Street (2014) - 7.5/10 each. I just found out these were made by the guys that made Lego Movie and I can see the similarity in the style. There's the same sense of brilliant kinetic chaos and irreverent treatment of the source material. Tatum Channing and Jonah Hill really work together.
Anything to do with that recent Reddit post?

Datura

Captain Faptastic
I need a movie to watch. Downloaded such k@k today

World Cup Heist (2020) - 2.5/10 https://www.imdb.com/title/tt13617604/

Schit has 7.5 on IMDb. I was going to give it 1 but I only managed to sit through 20 minutes of this rubbish so it may have improved. Don't care, deleted it.

I am out of stuff to watch. Been trawling Letterboxd for ideas but I have seen everything in the lists.

OOOOH I did Watch a good film this morning

Bridge over the River Kwai (1957) - 7.5/10 https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0050212/

I was sure I had seen this but I hadn't. What a good war movie. Enjoyed it from start to end.

dualmeister

Honorary Master
outside the wire (2021) 7.5 /10
weird actors, weirder script, E/Europe filming locations,
sounds like the start of a B movie? nope, was quite a sleeper movie, came out of nowhere and actually impressed.
I'm really enjoying this one. Haven't finished yet though. Great special effects.

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Cherry (2021) 7/10

Watched during lovely loadshedding.

This one took me by surprise, an easy 7. Engaging story with well structured unfolding elements. Tom Holland was borderline fantastic.

Readsalot

Expert Member
Rarely has a list represented such a poor selection of movies, imho.

dualmeister

Honorary Master

Amazing how every year when they release these lists you open them and you are like WTF I've never heard of most of these movies. :cautious:

MightyQuin

Not amused...

Looking forward to "The Father"...actually quite surprised it is not available yet on the seas and news.

"Minari" and "Nomadland" was absolutely brilliant IMHO.

I must still watch Mank, Promising Young Woman and Judas though...

Chicago 7 was pretty meh...