Movie Mini-Review Thread - Part III

Herr der Verboten

Honorary Master
The Northman

Light some candles and smear some blood on your face. I enjoyed the old-timey religious stuff in here. One or two casting choices that are a touch jarring at first. I like how the movie sounds. Enjoyed it.

Have some Heilung to get you in the mood..

omg that band. love them to bits.

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Morbius (2022) 5.5/10

Eish, disappointment. Biggest issue imo is the lazy writing & overdone CGI. Casting was meh, a fair bit dull. The mid-credits scenes x2 are good.

Readsalot

Expert Member
Caught up on a few movies I'd missed:

Tremors (1990).
7/10.
More than 30 years after it came out I can say it deserves it status as a cult classic. Comedy horror done right, with a great cast and a low budget.

Remo Williams (1985).
6/10.
I really want to like this movie more than I do since I grew up reading the books, but I can't. Honestly it's barely worth a 6. Interestingly, I only learnt recently the guy who plays Chiun, the super Korean master assassin, is actually Joel Grey, a Jewish stage actor and Jennifer Grey from Dirty Dancing's dad.

The Old Guard (2020).
6/10.
Okay, Charlize Theron is somehow immortal and getting hotter every decade. Sadly, even she can't make up for a predictable plot and poor script-writing. A waste of good action scenes.

The Adam Project (2022).
6/10.
Ryan Reynolds and Netflix separately are great. Together, somehow, they manage to make movies that are magical in their mundaneness. The only one that impressed me was Jennifer Garner, surprisingly, as I'm not a huge fan of hers.

The Lost City (2022).
4/10.
Got halfway and realised I didn't care what happens to any of the characters. IMO, it's trying too hard to be funny.

rrh

Expert Member
Remo Williams (1985).
6/10.
I really want to like this movie more than I do since I grew up reading the books, but I can't. Honestly it's barely worth a 6. Interestingly, I only learnt recently the guy who plays Chiun, the super Korean master assassin, is actually Joel Grey, a Jewish stage actor and Jennifer Grey from Dirty Dancing's dad.
Joel Grey is a tad more than just a Jewish stage actor :ROFL:

Readsalot

Expert Member
Joel Grey is a tad more than just a Jewish stage actor :ROFL:

I didn't mean to diminish him :laugh: I really don't know the guy, though, and Google mentions his theater career and awards quite prominently. It made me laugh when I found out, since it's about as far away from a Korean kung fu master as I can imagine.

rrh

Expert Member
I didn't mean to diminish him :laugh: I really don't know the guy, though, and Google mentions his theater career and awards quite prominently. It made me laugh when I found out, since it's about as far away from a Korean kung fu master as I can imagine.
Couldn't agree more ! :)

animal531

Expert Member

Remo Williams (1985).
6/10.

Talking of Fred Ward, back in the day Remo Williams was pretty awesome, but it hasn't held up that well.

panic mechanic

The Batman (2022) 5 / 10
I gave it a go, but as I suspected Robert Pattinson lacks any appeal as Batman IMO. And the plot did bore me. If it is "wrong" not to like this movie then so be it :ROFL:

The Dark Knight is still the best.

I've watched far more entertaining movies this weekend :p
The constant background riff of the now famous Nirvana track really irritated me. As a matter of fact, this movie was actually just an elaborate music video with some boring plot elements in-between lyrics.
2/10 from me. It gets 2 points for making the ocean the main villain, I did not expect that. Should deduct a point since Batman did not punch the water.

UrBaN963

Honorary Master
The constant background riff of the now famous Nirvana track really irritated me. As a matter of fact, this movie was actually just an elaborate music video with some boring plot elements in-between lyrics.
2/10 from me. It gets 2 points for making the ocean the main villain, I did not expect that. Should deduct a point since Batman did not punch the water.
They're showing Kideo reruns for you.

panic mechanic

Morbius (2022) 5.5/10

Eish, disappointment. Biggest issue imo is the lazy writing & overdone CGI. Casting was meh, a fair bit dull. The mid-credits scenes x2 are good.

Watching this tonight. People say this was the best Morbius movie of the series. Also the highest grossing in the series.

gregmcc

Honorary Master
The Lost City (2022)

SO wanted to watch this. Meh! Tried too hard to be funny and wasn't really. Had a Brendan Fraser feeling to it.
A generous 5/10

Affieplaas

Morbius - 6.5 / 10

I had bottom of the Mariana Trench expectations as most reviews I have read ripped it to pieces. I actually found it palatable, never feeling the urge to stop the movie. It does feel super rushed in places and the CGI is overdone and tacky but I enjoyed this more than The Northman, The Lost City, Ambulance and Unchartered.

OrbitalDawn

Ulysses Everett McGill
The Northman

Light some candles and smear some blood on your face. I enjoyed the old-timey religious stuff in here. One or two casting choices that are a touch jarring at first. I like how the movie sounds. Enjoyed it.

Have some Heilung to get you in the mood..

I kinda thought Eggers watched Heilung on YouTube and decided he wanted to make a movie out of it.

Cius

Executive Member
Heading down to Durbs for the July holidays and won't really have a strong internet connection down there so I was going through all movies released for the past 5 years looking for stuff to get for the break. I was astonished at just how few good movies where released from 2020 onwards compared to 2018 and 2019. I knew Covid shut down a lot of filming etc but it was fairly insane just to compare the numbers of movies released and especially when trying to spot A grade stuff. There have been slim pickings the last 2 years in particular.

saor

Honorary Master
I kinda thought Eggers watched Heilung on YouTube and decided he wanted to make a movie out of it.
I enjoyed seeing some context to that kind of mysticism / religion and the ceremonies around it...the scene at the start with father and son was cool.