Movie Mini-Review Thread - Part III

WaxLyrical

Honorary Master
Heading down to Durbs for the July holidays and won't really have a strong internet connection down there so I was going through all movies released for the past 5 years looking for stuff to get for the break. I was astonished at just how few good movies where released from 2020 onwards compared to 2018 and 2019. I knew Covid shut down a lot of filming etc but it was fairly insane just to compare the numbers of movies released and especially when trying to spot A grade stuff. There have been slim pickings the last 2 years in particular.
I just realized I missed quite a few potential gems from last year.

rrh

Expert Member
Heading down to Durbs for the July holidays and won't really have a strong internet connection down there so I was going through all movies released for the past 5 years looking for stuff to get for the break. I was astonished at just how few good movies where released from 2020 onwards compared to 2018 and 2019. I knew Covid shut down a lot of filming etc but it was fairly insane just to compare the numbers of movies released and especially when trying to spot A grade stuff. There have been slim pickings the last 2 years in particular.
Have you trued the Patrick Stewart / Katie Holmes version of "Coda". It's worth far more than the current 5.9/110

rvZA

Honorary Master
Dropped!!

This looks like some crazy but great s**t!

Madhawk

Honorary Master
The Hunt (2020) - 6/10 (Netflix Movie)

I actually enjoyed this movie. A few silly scenes, but not to be taken seriously.
This actually peaked my interest and kept me watching until the end...

image.jpeg

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Everything Everywhere All at Once (2022) 8/10

Easily the most original & fresh film I’ve seen all year. Incredibly clever yet a bizarre watch, a mildly trippy story, excellent camera work, engaging characters. Michelle Yeoh is phenomenal. A must-watch if you’re tired of the many repetitive films out.

Readsalot

Expert Member

Easily the most original & fresh film I’ve seen all year. Incredibly clever yet a bizarre watch, a mildly trippy story, excellent camera work, engaging characters. Michelle Yeoh is phenomenal. A must-watch if you’re tired of the many repetitive films out.

Same, 8/10 from me. Couple of times I was really glad I could pause and rewind a scene again. Great casting, writing, directing.

dualmeister

Honorary Master

Same, 8/10 from me. Couple of times I was really glad I could pause and rewind a scene again. Great casting, writing, directing.
Saving it for Saturday :p

Affieplaas

Dr Strange and Multiverse of Madness - 7/10

I quite enjoyed this (I'm a comic book lover though so I'm not objective). It is a CGI overload and in many instances the storyline is sloppy and does not make complete sense (it is a comic book story so don't expect Pulitzer Prize writing), but there is non stop action, big fighting scenes and a first real view of the multiverse. Cumberbatch is great and Raimi's directing results in a colourful pallet and some interesting camera angles. Wanda is maybe to prominent if I nitpick and it sometimes feel like WandaVision 2 rather than Dr Strange.

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Liam Neeson’s latest action thriller dropped.

Last edited:

dualmeister

Honorary Master
Liam Nelson’s latest action thriller dropped.

Looks like a departure from the normal Neeson movie.

/not :laugh:

Readsalot

Expert Member
Liam Nelson’s latest action thriller dropped.

Such a great cast. How do they not come up with something better than this for them? Not even my eternal love for Monica Belluci can tempt me.

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Liam Neeson’s latest action thriller dropped.

The OG film has a much higher score lol

No surprise.

Kieppie

Executive Member
Dr Strange and Multiverse of Madness - 7/10

I quite enjoyed this (I'm a comic book lover though so I'm not objective). It is a CGI overload and in many instances the storyline is sloppy and does not make complete sense (it is a comic book story so don't expect Pulitzer Prize writing), but there is non stop action, big fighting scenes and a first real view of the multiverse. Cumberbatch is great and Raimi's directing results in a colourful pallet and some interesting camera angles. Wanda is maybe to prominent if I nitpick and it sometimes feel like WandaVision 2 rather than Dr Strange.
You're not wrong in that. Saw a tweet that listed the top 5 reasons to watch this film, all 5 were related to Wanda.
Wanda : Mom was perhaps a bit too on the nose for the title :D

PS if you're a comic book lover you may appreciate this review, although he differs in his view.

Werner1975

Where can I watch this - Netflix/ Amazon/DSTV ?